TerraEarth Forums

Video Games - subtitles?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coz
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,017

PostCoz Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

When subtitles appear, your eyes have to focus on both the text and what is happening with the players.. it takes focus out of the scene.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Only for cutscenes. If you're playing video games, you should be able to do more than one thing at once in the first place, since they usually make you.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Coz wrote:
When subtitles appear, your eyes have to focus on both the text and what is happening with the players.. it takes focus out of the scene.

I watch anime subtitled. I'm used to it. I'm sure that deaf people are also used to it. You can focus on both things, it's not hard. Things can still be emotional like they're supposed to be even if you have to read something.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
blueisalive
Previously known as Aoiga

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 1,121

Postblueisalive Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch most Asian films with the original voices + subs. I don't care at all now.

Yay! I won something!
Thanx raini for the great sigs!
Coz
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,017

PostCoz Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that it's hard or imposible, but it is detrimental to the focus.... wouldn't it be better to play a videogame where you don't need to look at corners to see how your health is? or being able to understand japanese so you don't have to read the subs?

But still like I have recently noticed thanks to Dpit that they should go there even if they do so.. at least an option to turn it on. Anyways, I wonder if deaf people do the same as blind people who highten their other senses... probably but less than blind people, since seeing is used more than hearing most of the time...

But if so, the effect that comes with having to switch focus between text and images must be a lot less than people who have their 5 senses.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really detrimental... I play games with the subs on all the time. I can still feel what's happening, and what the emotion is. I played FFX with the subtitles on in the movies/cutscenes, and I still cried my eyes out at the end. I really don't see how their detrimental to the game if you have subtitles on while you're playing a game.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: