TerraEarth Forums

Professional Wrestler Benoit Dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:30 pm   Post subject: Professional Wrestler Benoit Dead Reply with quote

For those of you wrestling fans out there that didn't know, Chris "The Rabid Wolverine" Benoit died over the weekend. He murdered his wife and 7 year old son, and then sometime later, he hung himself from some weight equipment.

It's believed the homicides were caused by a roid-rage attack. My they all rest in peace...
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about that yesterday; hadn't gotten around to posting about it yet.

To say it's a shame would be a massive understatement, but it's also disappointing as a fan. For years, Benoit was always my favourite; there were quite a few I always liked, but no one could compare to him. Now, to find out that he murdered his family before killing himself... I can't respect him any more. How could anyone?

Not only that, but he has effectively shit on the legacy he would have left. A 21 year career (with several years to go, most likely), one of the most respected and noteworthy individuals in the business, and pretty much a lock for the hall of fame... and he threw it all away for reasons unknown (so far). Now, despite all he's done in his career, this is what he'll be remembered for.

It sucks to find out your hero (so to speak) is an asshole.

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:
I heard about that yesterday; hadn't gotten around to posting about it yet.

To say it's a shame would be a massive understatement, but it's also disappointing as a fan. For years, Benoit was always my favourite; there were quite a few I always liked, but no one could compare to him. Now, to find out that he murdered his family before killing himself... I can't respect him any more. How could anyone?

Not only that, but he has effectively shit on the legacy he would have left. A 21 year career (with several years to go, most likely), one of the most respected and noteworthy individuals in the business, and pretty much a lock for the hall of fame... and he threw it all away for reasons unknown (so far). Now, despite all he's done in his career, this is what he'll be remembered for.

It sucks to find out your hero (so to speak) is an asshole.

They believe it may have been a case of roid-rage. Not that it's any comfort or explanation, and yeah, he really did shit all over his own legacy.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the WWE has now removed all instances of Benoit's name from their site. His biography, photos, and anything else is gone.

I believe the only place he's still mentioned is in the title history. They can't just delete him from that. But I'd wager they would if they could.

I doubt they would have put so much effort (if any at all) in to a tribute show if they had known more details about the whole mess before they taped it.

gamechampionx
Level 8: Amarante

Level 8: Amarante

Gems 3,076

Postgamechampionx Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this whole thing is more evidence of famous people having serious issues.

Look at the recent news. We have the news about this guy, the Paris Hilton thing..... it just goes on and on.

Famous people need to get a grip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If Paris Hilton got a grip on reality, I wouldn't be able to laugh at her stupidity anymore. Sad

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

gamechampionx wrote:
I think this whole thing is more evidence of famous people having serious issues.

Look at the recent news. We have the news about this guy, the Paris Hilton thing..... it just goes on and on.

Famous people need to get a grip.

Some of us tend to forget that famous people, no matter how out there they are, are still human beings. Some, unbeknowst to even those closest to them, are capable of such a heinous and unforgiveable act as Benoit did.

And Freedan... McMahon had an interview where he said Benoit's name was not to be mentioned on Television again. They are distancing themselves away from it- now all those anti-gaming and anti-film critics are going to jump all over pro-wrestling, saying it causes people to murder their families. Sick world we live in, neh?
This User Has Completed

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, I can't blame them from trying to distance themselves from Benoit. They put all that effort in to a memorial show before the facts were in, and after finding out he was the murderer, they don't want it to seem like they're supporting him.

I imagine you're right that some folks will try to blame the industry somehow, but they're still waiting on these toxicology reports. If the steroids were to blame, it would be yet another self-inflicted tragedy (I believe they said 96 wrestlers have now died before the age of 65, and most were self-inflicted by drug use of some kind).

In any case, the industry will do just fine in the end, and the blame can't really be pinned on them. Everyone knows the wrestling business is a very demanding mistress, and they've emphasized that point many times. No one was misled. But if it wasn't the steroids after all, I can't imagine what else would push him over the edge. Meh/Worried

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:
In this case, I can't blame them from trying to distance themselves from Benoit. They put all that effort in to a memorial show before the facts were in, and after finding out he was the murderer, they don't want it to seem like they're supporting him.

I imagine you're right that some folks will try to blame the industry somehow, but they're still waiting on these toxicology reports. If the steroids were to blame, it would be yet another self-inflicted tragedy (I believe they said 96 wrestlers have now died before the age of 65, and most were self-inflicted by drug use of some kind).

In any case, the industry will do just fine in the end, and the blame can't really be pinned on them. Everyone knows the wrestling business is a very demanding mistress, and they've emphasized that point many times. No one was misled. But if it wasn't the steroids after all, I can't imagine what else would push him over the edge. Meh/Worried

What pushed guys like Ed Gein, Gasey, or any of them? Prehaps the man had already had mental problems- and being in the limelight all those years never sought help. Some people are just that way; they have problems and never seek treatment for them, whether it be alcoholism or mental distress. I really hope the truth comes out, and people would stop pointing figures, whether it be the media for pointing to roids or WWE pointing away from them.
This User Has Completed

Axe Kazama
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, that bums me so bad
Chris Benoit was awesome, what's the word on those toxicology reports?
I can only hope it was roid rage to restore whatever's left on his name

EDIT: Just updated myself, it's truly sad to hear
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the toxicology reports have come in yet; they predicted a few weeks time, so it should be in the next little while.

Unless they've already come in, in which case, I just haven't heard them yet.

Before I learn whether steroids were involved or not, I'm still hoping it's all a misunderstanding. Maybe that someone else is responsible, and it was made to look like a murder-suicide. I hate to think the guy I liked and respected more than any other was behind the whole thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: