TerraEarth Forums

Phantom Hourglass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axe Kazama
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:28 am   Post subject: Phantom Hourglass Reply with quote

Why hasn't there been a topic about this!

My brother just got it a couple of days ago, and I have to say, it's perhaps the ONLY game that utilizes the DS to it's maximum potential, essentially making the game touch screen only

Although...to be honest, call me old fashion, but I do miss using the d-pad
Touchscreen Zelda, is just not Zelda to me anymore.

Anyway, I'll just wait til my bro finishes with it before I have a full hands on experience with it. So what are you thoughts about the new Zelda?
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it when it came out, and I've been having a blast with it. I'm nearing the end now, but there's still some more messing around to do.

I was a bit skeptical about the touch-only controls, but it doesn't take long at all to get used to it. It becomes second nature in no time at all, and I feel just fine using either control scheme.

And they included some really neat uses for the DS' functions. You might have to 'call' out to someone to get their attention, 'shout' your enthusiasm for an item in to the mic, or make a loud noise to make an enemy cover their ears, leaving them vulnerable. Just to name a few, that is.

If there's one gripe I have, it's that the dungeons are incredibly short. They're generally much more linear than a Zelda fan is probably used to, so don't expect to spend a few hours trying to figure one out.

The boss battles are awesome, though. I believe every one of them makes use of both screens, and some of them are really clever.

I kind of wish there was more to do on land. The ocean can be a pretty busy place, with lots to do and plenty of space to explore, looking for hidden areas. But when you're on land, aside from the occasional treasure to find, towns tend to be small, and you're quickly sent off to the dungeon without much else to do.

Fantastic game, though. I hardly regret spending the money.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom Hourglass is much better than I expected it to be. Most DS games (i.e. Kirby Canvas Curse) make me hate the touch-screen controls and wish I could just play the damn game like normal. But, like all Zelda games, innovation just seems to work here. The sailing isn't nearly as tedious as Wind Waker, and dredging up items is now a minigame! There's alot to do. I got it the day it came out, and still haven't finished it. Most handheld games take me about a week to finish, but I just now reached the seventh dungeon.

I do agree with Freedan, though, the game is far too linear. The dungeons barely pose a challenge, and the bosses aren't that hard either. However, the game is fun to play, even if the exploration factor is taken away. Once you start, you barely notice you're using the stylus, because it's so immersive. This game uses the stylus in so many creative ways, part of the fun of the game is finding out how it's going to be used next.

In short, if you have a DS, buy this game. It's awesome.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Finished the game a couple of days ago. The final boss, while not particularly difficult either, is still pretty entertaining.

There's still more for me to do, though. Ideally, I'd like to finish my collections and fill out my ship catalog. Still a few power/wisdom/courage gems to collect, too.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those ship parts are a pain. They remind me of the rings from the Oracle series. I never got all 64 of those little bastards...

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I tihnk I'm gonna get the Oracle series some time soon, since the Game Boy Color is the only working "console" I have left (the N 64 still works, but only in Mono sound, and it breaks down at random)

I played the Oracle games on an Emulator (didn't finish them though) and they were quite nice. And the rings were entertaining!
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly reccomend them. They have the hardest puzzles in the entire series, and they're fun to play. Oracle of Ages is the better of the two, however.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: