TerraEarth Forums

About Quintet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yashikoru
Level 3: Cadet

Gems 72

Postyashikoru Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:58 am   Post subject: About Quintet Reply with quote

Quote:
Quintet Company, Limited (株式会社クインテット ,Kabushiki gaisha Kuintetto?) is a Japanese video game developer, founded in 1989. The company name is derived from musical terminology, as well as 5 elements of game design - planning, graphics, sound, programmers, and producers. Quintet was most active in the 1990s, when it had a strong relationship with Enix (now incorporated into Square Enix); the company was also a member of GD-NET group of Sega Saturn developers. The current status of Quintet is unclear.
Quote from Wikipedia.

Quintet the company that made Terranigma and others games has been desapeared , what i know is that the wep page of the company has been shut down D: . So, what is going to happen .. o.o;;?
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The rights to Quintet's games, such as Terranigma, have since expired. Right now, Terranigma has no holder for rights. My best guess is that someone would have to pick up the rights, such as Enix so it could be released on the Wii's Virtual Console.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quintet kind of died out shortly after Terranigma, but a few core members did move on to form a new company.

The company, called Shade, only made one game that I was aware of: The Granstream Saga for PS1. Though it was intended to be a successor to Terranigma, it shared no similarities and performed very poorly outside of Japan, mostly due to it being licensed by THQ.

Beyond that, it is unknown whether any of the Quintet staff still work together on video games, but it is unlikely. This is probably why there has yet to be a port or a remake of the Soul Blazer Trilogy.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Quintet kind of died out shortly after Terranigma, but a few core members did move on to form a new company.

The company, called Shade, only made one game that I was aware of: The Granstream Saga for PS1. Though it was intended to be a successor to Terranigma, it shared no similarities and performed very poorly outside of Japan, mostly due to it being licensed by THQ.

Beyond that, it is unknown whether any of the Quintet staff still work together on video games, but it is unlikely. This is probably why there has yet to be a port or a remake of the Soul Blazer Trilogy.

They did. Very Happy When I beat Ar Tonelico, Quintet was included in the credits. I squeed like a fangirl.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:

They did. Very Happy When I beat Ar Tonelico, Quintet was included in the credits. I squeed like a fangirl.

You did what?
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to pick up the rights for Terranigma. how can I do that? Very Happy
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
I would like to pick up the rights for Terranigma. how can I do that? Very Happy

However you did it, it would no doubt require large oodles of cash. Laughing
yashikoru

Gems 72

Postyashikoru Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
The rights to Quintet's games, such as Terranigma, have since expired. Right now, Terranigma has no holder for rights. My best guess is that someone would have to pick up the rights, such as Enix so it could be released on the Wii's Virtual Console.

So, if enix dont pick the rigths of terranigma and other games they can be to any people xD???
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@Blade: I believe my words were ":O :O :O OMFG IT'S QUINTET THEY WERE A PART OF AR TONELICO *SQUEE*" or something to that effect. Very Happy

@Yashikoru: I'm not too sure. I think it was the trademark to the game, not the copyright. I'd have to find out again, and I'm limited on time due to being at school right now. Very Happy;

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
@Blade: I believe my words were ":O :O :O OMFG IT'S QUINTET THEY WERE A PART OF AR TONELICO *SQUEE*" or something to that effect. Very Happy

@Yashikoru: I'm not too sure. I think it was the trademark to the game, not the copyright. I'd have to find out again, and I'm limited on time due to being at school right now. Very Happy;

you read credits? oh god. Eek!

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

@raini: Square-Enix owns the licensing rights, as well as the Intellectual Properties. The production rights, however, are currently in limbo, so they could be purchased by a smaller studio, but that studio would, of course, have to go through Square-Enix.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamez wrote:
rainichan wrote:

you read credits? oh god. Eek!

Haha. There were extras after the credits, so I was waiting for the credits to finish. I was halfway watching the screen since they had a video thing of the tower I had climbed in-game going from the bottom to the top where the Rinkernator was, and at one point, BAM Quintet's name came up.

And after finding the video on youtube, have a screen of it.

If you want to see for yourself, here's the ending credits. The screen in question takes place at around 7:35 (the screen I grabbed was at 7:41)

So not sure why their website is down, but it appears they're still doing something in the gaming world.

@Tay: I knew it was SOMETHING. The rights expired on it so it was free game for sequels and other things without getting a cease and desist order, but that was when Squeenix was still in limbo, I do believe.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yomi's Evil Twin Intern wrote:
psychokind wrote:

However you did it, it would no doubt require large oodles of cash. Laughing

and how much? Very Happy
Sent by The Master

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 5,959

PostNoZKeY Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what THE ESA says:
Quote:
Haven't the copyrights for old games (like Atari & Commodore) expired?

U.S. copyright laws state that copyrights owned by corporations are valid for 95 years from the date of first publication. Because video and computer games have been around a little more than three decades, the copyrights of all video and computer programs will not expire for many decades to come.

I'm not sure, but i understand that games' copyrights will only expire with time. But i dont know what happens if the company no longer exists...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: