TerraEarth Forums

Okami

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbiddenDarkWolf
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 146

PostForbiddenDarkWolf Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:39 pm   Post subject: Okami Reply with quote

I can't believe I never though to write a topic on Okami, Thanks to Freedan, The dark knight I was reminded (curtsies). Okami is such an unusual game in its presentation of graphics, to its use of the controller (drawing) and the fighting (paint as a weapon). I had a few questions, one which I sorta addressed in another thread which I will re-ask. What did you think of okami? What kind of difference do you think there is between the ps2 and the wii version?, Do you think there will be a sequal and do you think they could do it justice if they did ?
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The main differences between the two versions are that the Wii version doesn't look quite as much like actual artwork in motion. The "paper filter" is a lot less pronounced. And of course, the method of drawing (motion control vs. analog sticks).

I never played the PS2 version, but the Wii remote seems so naturally made for the drawing, I couldn't imagine doing it with sticks. Some of the motion control in combat takes some getting used to, though; I'm still trying to get the hang of some of it.

As for a sequel, I'd have to finish the game before I'd know one way or another. But considering the low sales the PS2 version had, unless the Wii version gets a lot of buys, I can't imagine they'd want to invest in a sequel.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the company who made Okami went under the end of last year, so unless someone else picks up the rights, besides Nintendo or whoever owns it now wants to invest in said sequel, they probably wouldn't.

...I haven't played Okami yet, but I really want to.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played quite a bit more in to the game (sweet Gaming Gods, this is a long one...), and I'm not so sure a sequel would even be a good idea.

The biggest reason for that is because the story is completely self-contained. It takes a lot from Japanese folklore, and a sequel would probably involve a story they made up for it. I imagine a lot of people would complain about how tacked on that would feel.

Also, a sequel can't be released without everyone comparing its quality to the first one; I think most people would complain that it's inferior to the first.

But Okami is super-long, and I haven't found myself bored once (over 32 hours in, but that's counting all the dawdling I've done along the way). Maybe it's best that there isn't a sequel; some of the best games don't need them.

subjectnamehere
Level 6: Stone Golum

Level 6: Stone Golum

Gems 6,064

Postsubjectnamehere Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite game second to Secret of Mana, followed closely by Morrowind.

Okami succeeds at every thing Twilight Princess failed at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: