TerraEarth Forums

In response to PETA.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Wow.

I did see that interview, but I hadn't heard about PETA. That's epic. I mean, I'll be honest, I could give a crap about animal welfare. I'm not, like, an abusive animal hater or anything, but a fly? Really?

And why is this topic in Showcasing?

Showcasing PETA's moronicness? Razz

Laughing
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The demotivator poster. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the demotivational poster.

Also, if you've watched the P&T:Bullshit episode about PETA, you'd know that they are actually more of a liability to animal welfare.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many organizations have just taken themselves way too seriously. I agree with a lot of what PETA stands for, but they take it too far.

The same thing goes for:

1. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) -who now ironically fights feverishly to prevent people from speaking their minds against homosexuals in a clear violation of the 1st ammendment. I'm sorry, but they need to dial 1-800-GET-ACLU (get it?) Very Happy

2. The feminist movement- now hold on ladies, all I mean by this is that certain ideas of yours are a little ridiculous, such as changing the names of stuff from say, fireman to fireperson (actually firefighter would be best). And changing the term mankind to humankind, while I think it's a bit silly, does make at least some sense. The problem is if you want to focus on equality for women, and I mean true equality, than don't waste time with semantics and empty demonstrations... and speaking of that-

3. The "Green" Movement- I hate to sound like the staunch Republican asshole that I am, but the ideas they are presenting, while good in theory are idiotic in practice. I'm all for alternative energy and conservation, those are ideas that we not only should have, but need. But, like, the Earth Hour? I'm sorry, but I refused to participate in that because it is, as I've said, nothing more than an empty demonstration. The Green people need to get serious. If you want to save the planet, do some actual work, not just publicity stunts and rhetoric.

4. Youtube and the DMCA - I don't really dislike anything about them except their cracking down on copyright violations. That shit is stupid. It's not like people are making money off of these things. And shame on the artists who are so damned money-grubbing that they take some 15-year old to court for using their music in a skating video. That's why I hate Metallica. I agree that artists deserve to earn a living, which is why I am officially against pirating music (of course, I still f-ing do it Laughing ), but Youtube vids? Seriously?

Okay that's enough ranting for now. And by the way tay, yeah the "Showcase" was the demotivator. I'm proud of that one and it's a TE exclusive!

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you guys about one that I hate - "child protection" pressure groups that don't actually protect children, they just find more ways to piss on everyone's parade.

Case in point - attacking Japanese erotic manga/anime/games for containing hentai material (okay, also including lolicon) by stating that hentai - in particular media containing lolicon - incites those who partake of it to go out and molest and rape children. They quote vague "statistics" to back this up, but where they get those supposed stats from is anyone's guess. Similarly, they attacked rape simulation games on the grounds that people playing such games would go on to rape real women, when there is no evidence to show any causal link there either. They want to make all hentai (lolicon or no) illegal, when in fact having this sexual "release valve" as it were makes it less likely that sexually frustrated individuals would go out and commit actual, real, sexual assault.

[/rant]
Ratty Randnums
Level 7: Raiden

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say I'm a vegetarian and I lol'd at this. Pretty funny. I've killed many of a fly.
Though saying that humans and animals are not equal is a bit pointless. It just depends on how we measure equality. I mean, nothing has any more inherent value than what is attached to it by conscious living creatures. And since you and I are human we have a bias of valuing fellow humans more than other things. Though I rationalize it with our longer lifespan myself. X3

Yomi's Evil Twin Intern wrote:
Similarly, I don't randomly hunt down all mice; but when they're scurrying around my house, I have no compunctions at all about cornering them and stuffing them in glass jars. (Srsly; we tried releasing them outside, but they just came back into the house). I would say that's humane way of killing the pests - not quick, but humane.

Wtf? o_O starving to death or suffocation isn't a human way to kill something. And not to pick on you, but grabbing moths out of the air? I always try to help moths when I see them in trouble >> like if they're in water I try to get them out and set them on a place to dry. Same with earthworms on the sidewalk after a rain. They're both important to the local ecology. Fly's I have no compunction about killing, they're pests, a health hazard, they have very short life spans anyway. And there's a freakin' million of them. XD

Quote:
1. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) -who now ironically fights feverishly to prevent people from speaking their minds against homosexuals in a clear violation of the 1st ammendment. I'm sorry, but they need to dial 1-800-GET-ACLU (get it?) Very Happy

2. The feminist movement- now hold on ladies, all I mean by this is that certain ideas of yours are a little ridiculous, such as changing the names of stuff from say, fireman to fireperson (actually firefighter would be best). And changing the term mankind to humankind, while I think it's a bit silly, does make at least some sense. The problem is if you want to focus on equality for women, and I mean true equality, than don't waste time with semantics and empty demonstrations... and speaking of that-

3. The "Green" Movement- I hate to sound like the staunch Republican asshole that I am, but the ideas they are presenting, while good in theory are idiotic in practice. I'm all for alternative energy and conservation, those are ideas that we not only should have, but need. But, like, the Earth Hour? I'm sorry, but I refused to participate in that because it is, as I've said, nothing more than an empty demonstration. The Green people need to get serious. If you want to save the planet, do some actual work, not just publicity stunts and rhetoric.

I agree, on a lot of your points. The green movement has become far too trendy for it's own good. If it continues to be a trend with no substance it, and life for humans as a whole eventually, will be even worse off than we were before.
How do you get that from the ACLU? I never heard about it. Last I heard they were still defending the kkk and such. And that's a group that has never had any qualems with being homophobic.
And the femenist movement has fallen into the trap of being institutionalized and caught up in petty academics when actual on-the-street action is what is needed. However this is understandable since most of it's major goals have been reached, whether femenists admit it or not. And now the task is to defend the rights that have already been earned.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, feminists drive me insane. No offense taken. Yes, they did good things back in the day. Equal pay for both men and women and all that.

...but that other bullshit about OMG WE CAN'T BE CALLED MANKIND ANYMORE THAT'S SEXIST is just stupid. It's simple english, and it's a blanket term for... well gee, ALL OF THE PEOPLE ON EARTH. They make me want to headwall more than anything.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
thefencemaster
Level 12: Soul Knight

Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Too many organizations have just taken themselves way too seriously. I agree with a lot of what PETA stands for, but they take it too far.

The same thing goes for:

4. Youtube and the DMCA - I don't really dislike anything about them except their cracking down on copyright violations. That shit is stupid. It's not like people are making money off of these things. And shame on the artists who are so damned money-grubbing that they take some 15-year old to court for using their music in a skating video. That's why I hate Metallica. I agree that artists deserve to earn a living, which is why I am officially against pirating music (of course, I still f-ing do it Laughing ), but Youtube vids? Seriously?

Okay that's enough ranting for now. And by the way tay, yeah the "Showcase" was the demotivator. I'm proud of that one and it's a TE exclusive!

GASP, someone who speaks the truth. And why is it that your not in charge of this country yet?

But really, I think that the best thing we could do would be to tax the people leading these movements for being stupid. There's a chance it would make them shut up, and it could help the economy.

-The Fence Master
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@thefencemaster: My campaign begins in September. See you at the polls! Very Happy

Thanks. I appreciate anybody who sees things my way (for obvious reasons). I won't say these ideas are "common sense" because that is a dangerous term to use in debate, but I will say that these are the views that I hold and they make sense to me (and to a large group of people which certain agenda-holding liberals want you to believe is smaller than they are).

Like Ms. California! That was bullshit. She was dumped for expressing her views on gay marriage and the reason was because she needed to represent the views of the state.

Oh, yeah. THE STATE THAT OUTLAWED GAY MARRIAGE!!!! It's nonsense!

Now don't get me wrong, I have no qualms whatsoever about the rights of gays to get married. I'm a christian, yes, but Christ taught to tolerate others and to err on the side of love. I think the way it should work is EVERYBODY should have Civil Unions and let the individual religions decide whether or not they will marry. Everybody is happy, state and religion are kept separate and its fair.

It is no more right to force religions to marry those who they consider unworthy or whatever than it is to prevent two people who love each other from having the same legal rights as a married couple.

Wow... we REALLY need a debate forum. I have too many ideas! Very Happy

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:

The same thing goes for:

I always say we need a "common sense" paragraph in our basic law Very Happy

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jason Tandro"]Thanks. I appreciate anybody who sees things my way (for obvious reasons). I won't say these ideas are "common sense" because that is a dangerous term to use in debate, but I will say that these are the views that I hold and they make sense to me (and to a large group of people which certain agenda-holding liberals want you to believe is smaller than they are)./quote]

What makes you say that? I have to dissagree.
Far as I can see conservative populism still dominates the mainstream media. (Which itself continues to propagate the myth of a liberal bias. I mean they're all owned by the same fatcats and therefore have the same agendas) As one of the few genuine examples of liberal media in the american spotlight today (as the story goes only the court jesters were the only onesallowed to speak freely about events) Stephen Colbert said it best- "The truth has a well known liberal bias."

Anywho this sums it all up pretty well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1KQw5D2Vos

Jason Tandro wrote:
Now don't get me wrong, I have no qualms whatsoever about the rights of gays to get married. I'm a christian, yes, but Christ taught to tolerate others and to err on the side of love. I think the way it should work is EVERYBODY should have Civil Unions and let the individual religions decide whether or not they will marry. Everybody is happy, state and religion are kept separate and its fair.

It is no more right to force religions to marry those who they consider unworthy or whatever than it is to prevent two people who love each other from having the same legal rights as a married couple.

I agree 100%! I've been saying for years if "marriage" is such a "sacred" word, then it has no place in the constitution in the first place, and should be legally replaced with a secular term such as civil unions. Let the church's work out what they want to call it, but keep it separate from the state.

Last edited by Ratty Randnums on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said Ratty, I consider myself pretty on the ball when it comes to this sort of stuff. Very Happy The gay marriage issue should never have been an issue.

As for your comment about the media being strictly republican, I would agree with you that FOX and other channels do have conservative views.

I suppose what I meant was that the opposition tries to make you believe that your side is dwindling and their side is gaining strength, which is true of both democrats and republicans. Fact is, politically I'm Republican, but I can't stand a lot of the tactics that my party has implemented, including their new rigid facist "purification" of the party. Expelling Spencer was the DUMBEST thing they could have done.

Ratty Randnums

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
As I've said Ratty, I consider myself pretty on the ball when it comes to this sort of stuff. Very Happy The gay marriage issue should never have been an issue.

As for your comment about the media being strictly republican, I would agree with you that FOX and other channels do have conservative views.

I suppose what I meant was that the opposition tries to make you believe that your side is dwindling and their side is gaining strength, which is true of both democrats and republicans. Fact is, politically I'm Republican, but I can't stand a lot of the tactics that my party has implemented, including their new rigid facist "purification" of the party. Expelling Spencer was the DUMBEST thing they could have done.

Ahh yeah lol the "50 million smokers can't be wrong" strategy. X3 All (large) sides do that as a way of building and keeping momentum I suppose.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandwagon approach is pathetic. No legitimate argument, just a bunch of rhetoric-spewing followers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Showcasing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: