TerraEarth Forums

Some Rules and Guidelines - Read This FIRST.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:11 am   Post subject: Some Rules and Guidelines - Read This FIRST. Reply with quote

Just a few rules for this subforum:

1: Respect others and their opinions. Everyone has their own opinion, even if it doesn't agree with your own. Please do not ridicule another poster for their opinions or ideas.

2: No flaming. Common courtesy here. If you don't agree with someone, do not attack them personally. Which leads into...

3: Do not bring personal attacks into this sub-forum. We may joke around the rest of the forums and call each other silly names, but that's just it: it's a joke. Joking is fine, as long as you let it be known that you're joking, and nothing more (and PLEASE don't try to do it too often!) The minute it turns serious, it's no bueno.

4: Try not to derail threads. Please. It happens anywhere else (where I don't usually care) but this is a more serious sub-forum. So try to stay on topic around the island, all right?

5: If posting on a topic that is controversial, try to have a reason why something is good or bad, not just "THIS IS GOOD/BAD!" It makes it easier to debate. Following up on this...

6: If opening a thread, please discuss your views/opinions/whatnot in your opening post. While "(Subject): Topic", (Message body): Your thoughts?" is ok to do, it doesn't give a lot to work with in terms of another view. At least give a "My own thoughts on this is that it's bad/good, and this is why!" to us.

Do note that this sub-forum will be watched for any breaking of the rules. Threads that degenerate into flame wars or personal attacks will be locked with or without notice, and those responsible will be suspended from posting for 24 hours.

If any of these rules are broken (or are treading that thin line between "is it breaking the rules or is it not?") and it has not been caught, please PM myself (rainichan) and let me know. If there are complaints against a poster for personal attacks or whatnot within the PM, I will PM that user and talk to them about it and decide a course of action from there.

These rules are subject to change at ANY time, with additions to the rules, or subtractions. If you have a suggestion for a rule, please let me know. This is a more serious business sub-forum, so Kweeny has to be a little more strict with the way things are done around here. I trust you guys, but the rules still stand.

For more info on how to debate, see Jason's post for debate etiquette.

Also, please to be not spamming up this topic. I'd like to keep it clean for suggestions to rules and the like. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.

Last edited by inferiare on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:41 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, it should be pretty much expected that if someone is going to post a controversial opinion (and even if it isn't), they should include some reasoning behind it.

In other words, don't say "X is a bad idea", say why X is a bad idea.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that. Somebody can use the nice little loophole of "I'm trying to open a dialogue" as an excuse to bombard a belief structure or opinion.

Also, thanks for taking my suggestion Kweeny! Very Happy

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:
As a general rule, it should be pretty much expected that if someone is going to post a controversial opinion (and even if it isn't), they should include some reasoning behind it.

In other words, don't say "X is a bad idea", say why X is a bad idea.

Duly noted, thanks. Very Happy

@Jason: Of course! I figured with the latest topic you had in Gen. Disc., it would fit better in a debate sub-forum, so... Debate Island was made!

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever that you make it an island. No possibility of sneaking onto the mainland of the other forums. Cool Guy

Not so much a rule, but as a general suggestion, I also reccomend avoiding religious debate. Politics can go either way, but when religion gets involved things take an even sharper turn.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Clever that you make it an island. No possibility of sneaking onto the mainland of the other forums. Cool Guy

Not so much a rule, but as a general suggestion, I also reccomend avoiding religious debate. Politics can go either way, but when religion gets involved things take an even sharper turn.

I had the idea in my head for a while, haha.

Religious debate is... sort of a gray area. As long as it doesn't turn into a flame fest, I think it would okay to discuss, as long as that moral gray area doesn't go into anything offensive. Of course, along with religious, there's always the debate over abortion and that gets pretty hairy as well.

If it becomes a problem in the future, I'll make note of it. So far, so good, I think.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the hot-button issues have always been:

> Abortion
> Gay Marriage
> Gun Control
> Foreign Wars
> Religion

Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Those things should be debated. They're the most common issues people debate.

Without them, what else is there to debate over? Politics, I suppose. Meh/Worried

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but let's have it happen naturally. We shouldn't just crunch out a bunch of threads all at once (pfft. I'm one to talk aren't I?) Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: