TerraEarth Forums

Graphical Conundrum
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:

I think Will wins out in looking smoother when the sprite is made just a little bigger.

that might be rite, but the rendering and the smooth animation quality top that. look at how ark was fighting!
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
rainichan wrote:

I think Will wins out in looking smoother when the sprite is made just a little bigger.

that might be rite, but the rendering and the smooth animation quality top that. look at how ark was fighting!

I can agree with that, if only because the engine was a little more advanced than it was a few years prior. But in terms of normal spritework (no rendering involved), IoG wins out.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
While yes, Terranigma had some really gorgeous sprite work (and Terranigma is my favourite out of the series, so I'm not being biased here)...

Have they both been scaled up by the same amount there, Rainichan?
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yomi's Evil Twin Intern wrote:
rainichan wrote:
While yes, Terranigma had some really gorgeous sprite work (and Terranigma is my favourite out of the series, so I'm not being biased here)...

Have they both been scaled up by the same amount there, Rainichan?

Will's sprite is slightly shorter than Ark's on the site I grabbed those from (I think Ark's sprite was... about 4-7 pixels wider than Will's, I'd have to check), but I put in the same width (sorry, they're backward in photoshop ><) for scale on both. Ark's just slightly taller.

Edit: Even better. the scale for both of these sprites are as follows, according to photoshop using pixels:

Will's sprite: Height: 34, Width: 21
Ark's sprite: Height: 31, Width: 17

On those sprites I enlarged for comparison, the stats are:
Will: Height: 113, Width: 70
Ark: Height: 128, Width: 70

So if I make them even:

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

will's sprite looks better i think. at least its easy to see where his head actually ends
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

will stands like somone has shoved a stick up his ass, ark is more laid back. Even in these two sprites theres a big difference in how the characters are portayed. Plus i think wills wearing a dress Razz

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamez wrote:
will stands like somone has shoved a stick up his ass, ark is more laid back. Even in these two sprites theres a big difference in how the characters are portayed. Plus i think wills wearing a dress Razz

Yeah, Will is a more traditional hero, and is standing up straight and trying to look all responsible and stuff. Ark's just sort of slouching like "Yeah yeah, I gotta go save the world".... Razz

I don't think Will's wearing a dress though, it looks like a tunic that extends below the waist, covering whatever else he's wearing (maybe shorts?).

When they're scaled to the same height, Ark's body doesn't look any more blocky than Will's does (though I'll admit his face IS more blocky). But Ark's face actually makes expressions (sleeping, eating, blowing up, normal), whereas Will's face is static in whatever body position he's currently in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: