TerraEarth Forums

Gun Control
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
O rly? How, exactly, did you pay for us getting involved in (I assume) the Georgia situation.

oil, gas, russia leaves NATO security council and ends diplomatic conversations, that directly hits on the stock market.

Quote:
No, how it's supposed to work is that the elected officials are supposed to listen to their people. Right now, the elected officials have their fingers in their ears and are doing what they want, not what the people they are supposed to be serving want. They're allowing people to pass laws, laws that they WANT in place, and then have someone who disagrees with the majority bring it to the Supreme Court to get around what the people themselves wanted in place. That's not how our government is supposed to work. As I said, we're a democracy in name only, and we're nothing like a democracy any longer.

alright, but... you are telling me you no longer live in a democracy, that's your personal opinion, and not the one of your country. you had one of the highest voter participation last election Confused

Quote:

Ours DO. Which makes it not the wrong way of thought when our criminals DO have guns. As I asked before, how are those who have to protect their homes and families supposed to protect their families/homes against an armed robber/criminal? With a fork or knife? Blunt object? Chairs? If you shoot the criminal first, then there is no crime (unless the bastard decides he wants to push a lawsuit, no matter that he broke in and entered, and then threatened the inhabitants of the house!)

they do because you have no gun control.

Quote:

Is that just in Austria, or all of Europe as a whole? If you're going for just Austria, the number of reported deaths (of the most recent list I could find) in Nevada was 405 people in 2006. The highest on the list that year was California was 3,363 deaths by firearms. However, Southern California is also on the border to Mexico, where a crapton of drug cartels/smugglers come from and shoot up people, and Los Angeles is FULL of crime because of illegals from everywhere else. You also have to take into consideration that we are one country here with a bunch of states. Europe is a bunch of countries on one continent. I can't look up "gun violence in europe" as a whole, since it just breaks it down by country. You also have to take into consideration that some of this "gun violence" also comes from suicide and self-defense. Yes, there are other means of suicide besides blowing your brains out, but that's the quickest way for someone to go. As I said, our numbers may be bigger, but that really doesn't mean anything. :/

just found this: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0764212.html
strange, as far as I remember, you only had about 11000. maybe these 11000 were actual homicides, while the other numbers include accidents.

I meant all your deaths by firearms exceed the ones of western & eastern europe and japan. and we got a lot more people^^
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
alright, but... you are telling me you no longer live in a democracy, that's your personal opinion, and not the one of your country. you had one of the highest voter participation last election Confused

Because everyone wanted to vote for their OMGSAVIOR Obama. I, however, did not, and voted for someone else. And it's not exactly an opinion, with the way things are being run right now. Voter turnout has nothing to do with us being a democracy. We're allowed that freedom, but a lot of our freedoms are being thrown out the window. That's not a democracy.

Quote:
they do because you have no gun control.

That actually has NOTHING TO DO with gun control. Criminals don't register firearms. The rest of us do. That's about as far as "gun control" goes here: we register our firearms (some states you have to register them through the police department and get your license there) and the government knows who has them. Why would criminals do that? They get them through illegal means. Gun control doesn't stop the criminals from getting guns, you know. :/

Quote:
just found this: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0764212.html
strange, as far as I remember, you only had about 11000. maybe these 11000 were actual homicides, while the other numbers include accidents.

I meant all your deaths by firearms exceed the ones of western & eastern europe and japan. and we got a lot more people^^

I really couldn't tell you. Though, looking at the numbers, while it has risen since 1999-2001, it's not by much. :/ It's gone down since the 70's, 80's, and early 1990's. I would wager it's because more people are exercising their right to have a concealed firearm and stopping crimes against them before they happen.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
O rly? How, exactly, did you pay for us getting involved in (I assume) the Georgia situation.

oil, gas,

Oh ho! I smell the sweet scent of hypocrisy. When we get involved in a war allegedly because of the effect the nation has on our gas supply, we're evil bastards, but when you feel the backlash, you're innocent victims.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

oil, gas,

Oh ho! I smell the sweet scent of hypocrisy. When we get involved in a war allegedly because of the effect the nation has on our gas supply, we're evil bastards, but when you feel the backlash, you're innocent victims.

we are in good terms with russia and buy our oil and gas like everyone else, then YOU provoke them and WE pay for it.
you fight a war, propably because of oil.

so we are no innocent victims? where is the hypocrisy here? Laughing
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

oil, gas,

we are in good terms with russia and buy our oil and gas like everyone else, then YOU provoke them and WE pay for it.

Wait, psychokind. Where is your Darwinian philosophy now? Might makes right. The will of the strong dominates the will of the weak. All life is just a fight for survival. I've learned much about you lately and I think I have a pretty good understanding of your world-view, so why does it change when politics are involved?

(PS: And yes, I am trying to change the subject. I whole-heartedly admit

Code:

psychokind.score += 1
if
{
psychokind.score > jasontandro.score
then
{
SYSPRINT: "Psychokind R The Winner of The Debate"
else
{
SYSPRINT: "Jason Tandro R The Winner of The Debate"
}
endif

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:

Code:

psychokind.score += 1
if
{
then
{
else
{
}
endif

psuedocode? or c? coz it looks a lot like java, just with a few notable differences.

i got lost in this debate ages ago, so its just a case of tl;dr
i do check the latest post, hence why im still here
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

oil, gas,

Wait, psychokind. Where is your Darwinian philosophy now? Might makes right. The will of the strong dominates the will of the weak. All life is just a fight for survival. I've learned much about you lately and I think I have a pretty good understanding of your world-view, so why does it change when politics are involved?

(PS: And yes, I am trying to change the subject. I whole-heartedly admit

good question. in politics, economic power is might. you have to do everything to largen your economic power. and if you start to provoke important trading partners, you lose might.

besides, russia dominated the US in both cases (rocket shield and georgia).
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

Code:

psychokind.score += 1
if
{
then
{
else
{
}
endif

psuedocode? or c? coz it looks a lot like java, just with a few notable differences.

i got lost in this debate ages ago, so its just a case of tl;dr
i do check the latest post, hence why im still here

Um well I'm a QBASIC programmer who has learned a bit of Java... and the blending of the two is this little ditty. Although I think SYSPRINT is actually a C++ Command.

[Edit: Yeah, QBASIC. I like my dinosaur programs.]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: