TerraEarth Forums

The Whole Is Less than The Sum of the Parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:55 pm   Post subject: The Whole Is Less than The Sum of the Parts Reply with quote

You know what I mean. There are those games that as a general rule you could live without but certain aspects are firmly engrained, and are the only reason you keep some of these games instead of selling them for $4.25 to Game Stop to get a nice thick triple quarter pounder from McDonald's.

But I digress.

Here are some games that as a general rule don't impress me... except for certain traits.

Final Fantasy X-2
The Charlie's Angels of the Final Fantasy universe has some truly repugnant qualities to me as a gamer. The voice acting is unbearable, the cutesy nature is sickening and poorly executed and even the attempts to make the game appeal based on sex were not that impressive (let's face it, we've all seen more interesting stuff on deviantart).

However this game has a place in my heart for a few reasons.

1. The last twenty minutes or so of the game are a nice close to the story.

2. While as a whole the musical score drives me up a wall, there are some incredible tracks, such as Leblanc's Battle Theme, the entire Final Battle score, the haunting Bevelle's Secrets track and my personal favorite track, the new Zanarkand Theme (a little out of left field, but it's got a very relaxed feel about it. I like that).

3. Mini-Games Galore. I'm a mini-game whore, it's true, but this game had a lot of fun ones, including Sphere Break, which almost (but not quite, surpassed Triple Triad on my Fun-O-Meter. I also like the various "jobs" you can take around the world, such as digging. It should be noted, however, that I think their version of Blitzball destroyed the insane amount of fun I had with FFX. If they had let it be, then it would have been amazing, but I suppose they had to cut it for space reasons.

4. Gameplay- And this is the biggest thing. Sure the dungeon layouts aren't terribly innovative, and it gets old revisiting each locale at least five times during the course of one game, there is definitively a cathartic feeling to mastering each of the jobs, the instant gratification of learning new skills and a nice sense of accomplishment with each Episode Complete! Also New Game + kicks ass.

I'll talk about more games like this later.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the few that actually liked FFX-2. Yes it had LOL DRESS UP SLUMBER PARTY!!!! elements to the game, but it was a good follow-up to the original game once you got past the "You're playing a party of 3 girls" aspect, and it blended nicely with the mini movie that inspired the game (when the sphere of Shuiin is found and they think it's Tidus) and worked really well.

Then again, I like the games that no one else seems to, unless it's Unlimited Saga. Razz

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: