TerraEarth Forums

Cloning
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:

The first line was my assumption of what EverPhoenix presumed, not my own opinion. My belief is that God gave us the capability to do wrong, but wants us to do right. I am simply using this to decry the belief that

"Since we CAN do this, then that must make it OKAY for us to do it."

EverPhoenix said that God gave us the ability to create life and therefore it must be okay to do so, and therein lies the flaw.

Fair enough; I suppose I just misunderstood.

Though personally, I'm more of the thought that if God wanted us to do right that much, he would have made us incapable of anything other than right. If he were perfect, he wouldn't have made imperfect creations.

Anyway, I'm getting away from the topic, so I'll give the God-talk a rest.

Valerie Valens wrote:
Here's the beauty of it, morals change over time. In the future, there will be a use for cloning a whole human, perhaps to transfer the minds of the original over,

Hypothetically, if Hitler had been cloned and his mind transferred over, would it still seem like a good idea?

If it were possible to transfer the mind to a new body, that's virtually immortality. I stand by my claim that people aren't meant for that.

Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:
Hypothetically, if Hitler had been cloned and his mind transferred over, would it still seem like a good idea?

If it were possible to transfer the mind to a new body, that's virtually immortality. I stand by my claim that people aren't meant for that.

I invoke Godwin's Law. Razz
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:

EverPhoenix said that God gave us the ability to create life and therefore it must be okay to do so, and therein lies the flaw.

but my argument is the opposite. if God didnt want us to do that at all, we wouldnt be able to do it. if humans are able to do that, then its up to our free will to choose for ourselves. and we seem to be leaning towards messing with biology.

in terms of logic:

let A be what we can do, and B what is ok

if !A then !B,
...but it doesnt necessarily mean that..

if A then B.

that only applies if A and B are the same.

in more relevant terms, just coz we can do it doesnt mean its ok. if we cant do it, it wasnt meant to happen
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

but my argument is the opposite. if God didnt want us to do that at all, we wouldnt be able to do it. if humans are able to do that, then its up to our free will to choose for ourselves. and we seem to be leaning towards messing with biology.

in terms of logic:

if !A then !B,

if A then B.

in more relevant terms, just coz we can do it doesnt mean its ok. if we cant do it, it wasnt meant to happen

Well is it really a matter of free will or ethics? Cause as far as we know, they haven't cloned humans. At least, that's what they've told us. For all we know, out there somewhere lives a human clone. Hell, maybe a handful. Maybe even more than that. The government and science know better than the general populace, afterall.

And btw, God will always be brought into a Cloning debate, whether the original intention was ethics or not, Yomi. Alot of the reason people are so against cloning is simply because, would we not be playing God by doing so? Alot of person ethics come from religious beliefs, mind you, so God will always be placed into the debate, whether people like it or not.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all in for cloning. especially spare parts depot clones. cloning animals doesn't make too much sense, since they reproduce themselves pretty fast.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@Freedan: Well that's where religion comes in. God wants us to be a perfect as we can be, but as long as we are mortal we are going to sin. It's just a fact of life. The point of Earth is to test us. I could prattle on all day long, but I'll leave it at that.

EverPhoenix wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

in terms of logic:

if !A then !B,

if A then B.

Okay, then I again invoke my original argument. You'e saying that God wanted us to create weapons of mass destruction? Exactly this:

"just coz we can do it doesnt mean its ok".

That's my whole point in a nutshell.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Yet One More Idiot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
EverPhoenix wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

in terms of logic:

if !A then !B,

if A then B.

Okay, then I again invoke my original argument. You'e saying that God wanted us to create weapons of mass destruction? Exactly this:

Actually Jason, I believe that what EverPhoenix is saying is "if we can't do something, then god didn't want us to do it. But this does not imply that because we CAN do something, that god DOES want us to do it."

It's all a matter of logical negation. When you negate the parts of a logical statement (A implies B), you negate the A and the B and *flip* the implication arrow around. Therefore:

Something we can't do => god doesn't want us to do it
THEN
God does want us to do it => something we CAN do

Constructing the statement "something we CAN do => god wants us to do it" is a use of false negation in the above.

(finally, that course I took in Logic at university comes into its own! Laughing )
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yomi's Evil Twin Intern wrote:
Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:

I invoke Godwin's Law. Razz

You know, I was even going to use a different analogy, and changed my tune at the last minute. Though to be fair, Godwin's Law generally covers inappropriate or hyperbolic comparisons, and mine was only theoretical.

Regardless, scratch the Hitler thing and replace it with "despicable, murdering criminal" of your choice. Suppose the world is revisited by Saddam, or Kim Jong-Il lives on for several more generations. I hear he's kind of an asshole.

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yomi's Evil Twin Intern wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
EverPhoenix wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

in terms of logic:

if !A then !B,

if A then B.

Actually Jason, I believe that what EverPhoenix is saying is "if we can't do something, then god didn't want us to do it. But this does not imply that because we CAN do something, that god DOES want us to do it."

It's all a matter of logical negation. When you negate the parts of a logical statement (A implies B), you negate the A and the B and *flip* the implication arrow around. Therefore:

Something we can't do => god doesn't want us to do it
THEN
God does want us to do it => something we CAN do

Constructing the statement "something we CAN do => god wants us to do it" is a use of false negation in the above.

(finally, that course I took in Logic at university comes into its own! Laughing )

that sums it up very nicely, thanks YETI
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

YETI... that's got a ring to it.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its what he intended when choosing the name. or so ive read Razz

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It was what I intended actually. I was thinking of creatures that feature in Terranigma, and the Yeti of Eklemata came to mind. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: