TerraEarth Forums

What's the worst sense to lose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would be the worst sense to lose
Sight
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Sound
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Taste
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Smell
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Touch / Feeling
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:41 am   Post subject: What's the worst sense to lose? Reply with quote

Sight and sound are the two biggies, but taste and smell are pretty bad too. But I think the worst is losing the sense of feeling. People with CIPA (for instance) have all sorts of problems because they are numb from head to toe.

Plus sex would be a lot less enjoyable... Laughing

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

sound isnt a sense Razz

for me its a tie between hearing and sight.
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say sight. Living without hearing would suck, but it seems to me that it would be significantly easier than not seeing.

Living without a sense of touch could be dangerous. There's a medical condition out there (which Jason mentioned) where someone literally can't feel pain. On paper, that sounds all right.... you could fall down the stairs, get right up and dust yourself off... but your body is still being damaged. If you put your hand on a hot stove, you snap your hand away instantly (before you realize it's hot); it's a defensive mechanism to limit the damage your body takes. But if you don't realize that it's hot, you might keep your hand there, and burn it to the point where you can't use it any more.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly why I chose touch. I mean sure, if you're being tortured, CIPA is a great thing to have, but otherwise it'd suck.

Imagine freaking the crap out of some serial killer.

"Oh come on, you call that terror? Give me that knife you asshole. You gotta cut here, see? It draws more blood freaks them out more. Oh, bamboo shoots up the fingers eh? Real original. God you suck at this."

Laughing

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere long ago that 80% of all of our sensory input is visual.

However, I definitely have to agree with Freedan here - lacking a sense of touch seems to me that it would have the most detrimental effect to quality of life, as you could easily injure yourself without even realising.

Plus I read an article once about a man who suffered from a lack of sense of touch, it indicated that the condition also affects other aspects of daily life, such as affecting sense of balance and ability to walk normally (apparently, we subconsciously take pressure cues from the soles of our feet when we walk, without which we would have a much more difficult time remaining balanced) for one.

So yeah, my vote was for touch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: