TerraEarth Forums

How do you make a alteration of these games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Fan Made Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavos
Level 3: Cadet

Gems 70

PostLavos Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:16 am   Post subject: How do you make a alteration of these games? Reply with quote

Is there a specific program you have to used, and how much knowledge is required to make one? I would love to see what I could do with such tools.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking abut like what we have for TerraEarth: Absolution? I'm not sure about Terranigma 2, but I know one of the games was made for Warcraft 3 as a map, and TerraEarth: Absolution is being made with RPG Maker VX.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Lavos

Gems 70

PostLavos Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should do some searching online. At one point I was watching some one take some computer based copy of Final Fantasy VI and was editing the text of the story line with a program he had. Though it might be something similar that was being referenced in this board.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Those are more like the games being altered themselves, then. I'm not too sure how rom altering works though, but I know some coding knowledge would have to be involved, but that's about it. Sad

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Lavos

Gems 70

PostLavos Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought Soul Blazer would be a bit more interesting with the addition of an achievement system. Such things like.

*Going through the game without using a medical herb.
*For reaching levels at increments of 10.
*Defeating individual bosses.
*Find all of a certain set of items (armor, swords, magic)

You get the idea.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavos wrote:
I've always thought Soul Blazer would be a bit more interesting with the addition of an achievement system. Such things like.

*Going through the game without using a medical herb.
*For reaching levels at increments of 10.
*Defeating individual bosses.
*Find all of a certain set of items (armor, swords, magic)

You get the idea.

Complete the game without dying, or in one sitting? Did that years ago- haven't succeeded in doing it since. I like this idea. Surprised
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

youd need to remake it from scratch for that, i think.

i dont think any romhacking programs out there can support custom scripting, youd need to use something the game already does. and i dont recall anything like that in the game.

so if you wanted to make those achievements, id say itd need to be a complete remake. soulblazer wasnt the most technically advanced game out there, so RPGMaker XP/VX should be enough. youd need some skills to make the real-time combat system though. we have someone on the boards who did it - TheKing2, his work is Terranigma 2
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you posess the prodigious skill everything is hackable. But I agree with EverPhoenix... you'd probably have to remake it from scratch. How experienced a programmer are you?

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I've seen some really impressive romhacks, like those crazy Super Mario World ones, and I don't think those are done with RPG Maker (and yes, that includes the Nico Nico melody stuff too, and I know Super Marisa World falls in that catagory too).

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Lavos

Gems 70

PostLavos Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* I think my real claim to programming would be my basic knowledge of html tags, so sadly I don't think I would do it. Would an RPG maker allow for a Soul Blazer type battle system?
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

RPG Maker VX is more for traditional style RPGs... there may be a script online that allows an action combat system, but it would still be more like Star Ocean than Soul Blazer. If you're new to programming, you might look up Game Maker. It does require some basic programming knowledge, but it's still essentially drag and drop coding. RPG Maker is much more simple though.

EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
RPG Maker VX is more for traditional style RPGs... there may be a script online that allows an action combat system, but it would still be more like Star Ocean than Soul Blazer. If you're new to programming, you might look up Game Maker. It does require some basic programming knowledge, but it's still essentially drag and drop coding. RPG Maker is much more simple though.

game maker is mostly for platformers, is it not?

but if you want a soulblazer-style combat system, i think it could well be done in RPGMaker XP - people have modded that thing to death, im sure there would be a real-time combat mod. as i mentioned earlier, TheKing2 did something like that in his Terranigma 2 (check out the thread in this board).

the way id imagine it would be done would be with structs - but i dont know how to do them in rpg maker xp, as i only really make things in warcraft 3.

and as for code, i find its easier to understand whats going on with code than drag-and-drop. maybe im just a nerd, but the method names are generally quite helpful, and the API has everything you need to know about the arguments. if youre not inclined toward code, theres always the GUI option ^^
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Game Maker is generally attributed to 2D Platformers, yes, but it is much more adaptive than RPG Maker, and I've seen RPGs, 3D shooters, Doom Clones, etc, made with Game Maker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Fan Made Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: