TerraEarth Forums

Teaching Creationism.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
tay120n64 wrote:
rainichan wrote:
That's if you're going by Christianity's version of Creationism, for the MAYBE 10,000 years the earth has been around. Hinduism still believes in the fact that their gods created the world and cosmos, and it didn't happen by some freak big bang. That's what I was getting at.

Another something-something to think about is the idea that the Earth did exist for an insane amount of time, and the majority of that time passed through those "Seven Days of Creation" or during Adam and Eve's time in the garden. There really isn't any evidence of what was actually considered a "day" for God when he made existence, and technically, Adam and Eve were immortal (sort of) before they ate the fruit.

I'm not saying for sure, but I've always felt it was something interesting to think about. Wink

Well yes, of course. Smile It isn't to say that "seven days" should be a literal one week time, it can possibly be interpreted to "seven days = seven thousand years", and it's entirely possible that Adam and Eve were in the garden for a really long time (I don't think it says just how long they were in the garden in the bible either.) But I do agree with Jason that carbon dating isn't always accurate, so it's really up in the air with how long the earth really has been around.

the earths age is fo sho, you use sediment examination which is very accurate, then the earth has to be at least 3.5 billion years old.

I think tay is right too with god's unpredictable sense of time (how long are 7 days to him). that's what the catholic church says too, although they interpret it as 7 days = the age of the earth science found out.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:

jesus = the son of god. self explaining, god doesn't have a shape we can imagine, and we're not allowed to make ourselves a picture of god. that's why god =! jesus, and jesus being the mediator from humans to god.

I actually agree with psychokind on this one. Jesus Christ, God and the Holy Spirit are one in purpose and mind, but they are three distinct entities. Jesus is the Son of God. The Holy Spirit is also a separate entitity. This is pretty well explained when Jesus is baptized. Jesus emerges from the water, the Spirit descends in the form of a dove and the voice of God speaks out from heaven.

[Edit: Although you have it wrong about God not having a shape we can define. Psychokind. If you were Christan, you would realize that Genesis clearly states that God created man in his image.]

Also, John 3:16 (we all know it) says that "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son..."

How can God give himself? Perhaps that is one of the "mysteries of God" but the Trinity God theory has never sat right with me.

@tay: True. No man understands perfectly God's Will. That is impossible. And for the record my church believes that we have the best understanding of the Gospel, but that does not mean that everybody else in the world is "doin' it wrong". We believe that every religion has bits and pieces of the truth, but that our church has as much as God has ever given us... and that doesn't mean our members don't occassionally screw it up (believe me, I have to deal with several 'holier-than-thouers' at my own ward!)

@psychokind: I stand corrected on the numbers. I went back and you were right about that. I also fail to see why you keep bringing up polygamy, unless it's to get some stunned reaction at your impressive debating skills.

And no. The Orthodox Catholic church was the original. They stayed in Rome and when Rome got conquered, the schismed Catholic church in Byzantine remained. So, no, you're wrong. The Orthodox was the original and they were pretty well wiped from the earth.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
@tay: True. No man understands perfectly God's Will. That is impossible. And for the record my church believes that we have the best understanding of the Gospel, but that does not mean that everybody else in the world is "doin' it wrong". We believe that every religion has bits and pieces of the truth, but that our church has as much as God has ever given us... and that doesn't mean our members don't occassionally screw it up (believe me, I have to deal with several 'holier-than-thouers' at my own ward!)

Well, it's only natural for each respective sect to believe that they have it mostly right. It's hard to have faith in something that doesn't inherently believe it is true, you know? But true learning comes from a humble spirit, and those unwilling to admit possibilities outside of their own thought or understanding are the ones that irk me.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
[Edit: Although you have it wrong about God not having a shape we can define. Psychokind. If you were Christan, you would realize that Genesis clearly states that God created man in his image.]

portrait =! replica

[/quote]@psychokind: I also fail to see why you keep bringing up polygamy, unless it's to get some stunned reaction at your impressive debating skills. [/quote]

I wanted to show you that your founder couldn't be christian if he was a polygamist (personally, I think polygamy is awesome Wink )

Quote:
And no. The Orthodox Catholic church was the original. They stayed in Rome and when Rome got conquered, the schismed Catholic church in Byzantine remained. So, no, you're wrong. The Orthodox was the original and they were pretty well wiped from the earth.

ok, we have a problem with our use of words here Very Happy the three big "christian" churches are catholic, evangelists and orthodox. orthodox is the "greek" church, catholic the "roman". as you said correctly, orthodox had their origin in byzantine.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

portrait =! replica

Fair enough.

Quote:

Quote:
@psychokind: I also fail to see why you keep bringing up polygamy, unless it's to get some stunned reaction at your impressive debating skills.

I wanted to show you that your founder couldn't be christian if he was a polygamist (personally, I think polygamy is awesome Wink )

Lol. JS had multiple wives. Not multiple girlfriends! Laughing

Quote:

Quote:

ok, we have a problem with our use of words here Very Happy the three big "christian" churches are catholic, evangelists and orthodox. orthodox is the "greek" church, catholic the "roman". as you said correctly, orthodox had their origin in byzantine.

Well semantics confusions are unavoidable in this manner of debate, alas. But I'll settle that one as a simple confusion of words.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

so altogether, we argued 3 pages about whether chritianity supports creationism Very Happy use?^^

overall, it has nothing to do with it. whether evangelists and catholics disagree or mormons and orthodox (you've got the russians on your side!) agree with it should have not that huge influence on the overall debate.

there are still the facts freedan and I explained earlier and your belief on the opposite...
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorta where I was going. Wasn't really trying to turn this into a debate about christianity.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

And the way that such a hot debate ends on such a camaraderie note is another example of why TE is awesome.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: