TerraEarth Forums

Suicide and Euthanasia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:23 pm   Post subject: Suicide and Euthanasia Reply with quote

Given my roommates multiple attempts to commit suicide this week (don't worry, he's finally getting the help he needs), I was wondering what your opinions on suicide and euthanasia were. Do you think it is ethical for us to stop people from commiting suicide, thus preventing their free will? What about the terminally ill? Or do you think we have a moral obligation to protect life?

I believe that suicide is morally repugnant and shows a complete lack of will as a general rule, but there are circumstances where I can be sympathetic towards it. The problem is about 90% of people who want to commit suicide wish to do so for pathetic reasons: My gf/bf dumped me, I lost my job, I got divorced, etc. These are not good reasons to commit suicide (well no reason is... but you get what I mean).

If a person spends their entire life in pain and torment and living is torture, then suicide is understandable, which is why I don't press my opposition to euthanasia too strongly. However I personally would never take the option. I believe that when God wants me to die, I'll die (not to say that I believe God calls our shots or in predestination. I simply mean that my life is not just my own, but also God's (PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS TURN INTO A RELIGIOUS DEBATE!))

On that same note, if I'm in a vegetative state, keep my ass alive! You heard it here folks. If you see me on TV and some jackass is trying to "let me die" you damn sight better speak up!

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone should be allowed to die when he wishes. as long as no others are harmed (do NOT jump in front of a train please) I absolutely do not care.

however, one should always think of his parents. if they did best to raise you, you have to do your best to survive them so they don't have to see you die.

especially for old people we should legalize passive and active assisted dying
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate suicide in all its forms. i dont think that there could exist any reason (barring extreme medical situations) where it would be at all justified.

as for euthanasia, im somewhat in agreement. if it is determined by an unbiased professional beyond reasonable doubt that anyone unable to make their own decision will not return to acceptable health.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: