TerraEarth Forums

Americans Held In Iran

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:58 pm   Post subject: Americans Held In Iran Reply with quote

Here's What Happened:

The Times wrote:
TEHRAN, Iran —
Iran said Monday it would try three Americans jailed since crossing the border from Iraq in July, a step certain to aggravate the U.S. at a time when Tehran is locked in a standoff with the West over its nuclear program.

Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki did not say when proceedings would begin or specify the charge other than to say the Americans had "suspicious aims." In November, however, authorities accused the Americans of spying.

There are concerns in the U.S. that Iran could use them as bargaining chips in talks over its nuclear program or in seeking the return of Iranians they say are missing.

Relatives and the U.S government say the three were innocent tourists on an adventure hike in northern Iraq and accidentally crossed into Iran, where they were arrested on July 31.

"They will be tried by Iran's judiciary system and verdicts will be issued," Mottaki said at a news conference, without elaborating in detail.

The Americans - Shane Bauer, 27, Sarah Shourd, 31, and Josh Fattal, 27 - were detained by Iranian authorities after crossing an unmarked border from northern Iraq.

At a Nov. 9 news conference, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran's judiciary would deal with the Americans, and he noted that Iran accuses the United States of holding several of its citizens.

In particular, he drew a link between the case of the three Americans and the trial in the U.S. of Amir Hossein Ardebili, an Iranian who faces up to 140 years in prison after pleading guilty to plotting to ship sensitive U.S. military technology to Iran.

According to court papers, Ardebili worked as a procurement agent for the Iranian government and acquired thousands of components, including military aircraft parts, night vision devices, communications equipment and Kevlar. U.S. federal authorities targeted him in 2004 after he contacted an undercover storefront set up in Philadelphia to investigate illegal arms trafficking.

Here's What Some Random Time's Editor Thinks About It:

Some Random Time's Editor wrote:
This story, about Iran arresting U.S. hikers, is a repeat of a thing that has been going on too long. Here are these three Americans--Shane Bauer, 27, Sarah Shourd, 31, and Josh Fattal, 27, setting off on a hike in Iraq and walking into Iran and getting arrested for "espionage." I assume they are not spies--would the CIA send people into Iran as hikers?--and that they are in that sense, innocent. I also assume that Iran knows this, and that they are trying them to make a political point and to have leverage with the United States, and that they will convict them and then exchange them for some concession from our government.

What I can't join in is any outpouring of sympathy for Shane Bauer, Sarah Shourd and Josh Fattal, and the condemnation of the Iranian government. Iran's government is not the sort I want to live under, but it is not my government. It's their government. It's a government sensitive to its borders--over sensitive from the American point of view, but it is entirely within its rights to arrest Shane Bauer, Sarah Shourd and Josh Fattal and put them on trial.

My annoyance is at Americans who think because they are backed by the most powerful government in the world, and they have Human Rights, they can go for a jolly, healthful and invigorating hike on the Iranian border or on the North Korean border or swim across the lake in Burma to see Aung San Suu Kyi, or cross some other forbidden line. To think and act this way is to be a damn fool, and I think more Americans ought to say so.

To be honest, I think this guy is an idiot who over-simplifies the issue. Iran is using this as an excuse to bully America. Not to sound too arrogant, but no country (except China who basically owns our ass) has any right to bully us. I'll grant you some people may think we're bullying Iraq and Afghanistan by telling their governments they can't enslave their people and blow up civilian buildings, but hey, we're just assholes like that.

If Iran is really so pathetic to use civilian hostages as a means of getting leverage, I think they need a lesson in humility. But of course Obama will buckle like a belt. Damn this ticks me off. Biting

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Iran didn't arrest them because they're 'sensitive to their borders'. Of course they're doing it for leverage.

" "They will be tried by Iran's judiciary system and verdicts will be issued," Mottaki said at a news conference, without elaborating in detail. "

Iran's judiciary system is a farce. When they were holding trials for protesters after their last election, does anyone honestly think the trials were fair? They've already decided that these three will be convicted, the trial is purely for show.

If those three are guilty of anything, it's of poor taste for hiking destinations. The Middle East is a dangerous, violent, war-torn shithole, run by tyrants with no qualms about killing innocent people for its own agenda.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ironic how a Holy Land can be so desanctified. Mad

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My annoyance is at Americans who think because they are backed by the most powerful government in the world, and they have Human Rights, they can go for a jolly, healthful and invigorating hike on the Iranian border or on the North Korean border or swim across the lake in Burma to see Aung San Suu Kyi, or cross some other forbidden line. To think and act this way is to be a damn fool, and I think more Americans ought to say so.

absolutely right. whenever I hear about some foolish german idiot tourists in the news getting kidnapped in Jemen or whatever dust-country, I feel no sympathy and I don't want ONE cent of my taxes to get wasted for these people.

not even pointing out that people think they are backed up by powerful governments, these people are so stupid that they don't think about anything at all before touristing such countries.
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with psychokind on this one. I mean, seriously, who goes on a "hike" in such an unstable environment? It's their own damn fault, and in the great spirit of the Darwin Awards, they deserve exactly what's coming to them.

Whether or not Iran is using them to get to the US isn't the question. Of course they are. That much is obvious. But still, its their own dumbasses that got them into it. I say leave them be.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:

not even pointing out that people think they are backed up by powerful governments, these people are so stupid that they don't think about anything at all before touristing such countries.

Yeah... Hitler was just vacationing in Poland! Laughing (JUST KIDDING!)

@tay/psycho: Well I'm certainly not saying these people aren't dumbasses, but if we condemned everybody who did something stupid, then we'd be a much smaller civilization.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
psychokind wrote:

@tay/psycho: Well I'm certainly not saying these people aren't dumbasses, but if we condemned everybody who did something stupid, then we'd be a much smaller civilization.

no problem with a much smaller civilization here Smile
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
psychokind wrote:

You know, I could so totally be okay with that.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
psychokind wrote:

Well I think we've already pegged psychokind as a Machiavellian passive eugenisist. Perhaps we could create a master race...

but it wouldn't be based on ethnicity... just on the people who frequented TerraEarth...

Instead of the Aryan... it'd be the Arkyan. Laughing

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
tay120n64 wrote:
psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
psychokind wrote:

Well I think we've already pegged psychokind as a Machiavellian passive eugenisist. Perhaps we could create a master race...

but it wouldn't be based on ethnicity... just on the people who frequented TerraEarth...

Instead of the Aryan... it'd be the Arkyan. Laughing

I take this as a compliment, as ever Very Happy arkyan, amazing play of words Laughing

besides, do you know what happens when you take brother and sister mouse and let them make incest, and their children incest and so on? after several generations, you have created "super-"mice without genetical flaws. awesome, isn't it?
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

true, but for the first few generations you have to deal with the butter-eating banjo-playing mice.

Ever see Deliverance?

Laughing

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

...sadly, I've had the idea of shoving the idiots (in my point of view) on to their own Island of Stupid once I rule the world (yes, I have a list of things I intend to change when I'm ruler of the world) because dealing with constant stupid and no common sense drives me up the wall.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
arkisdabomb
Level 9: Sabre Dog

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
...sadly, I've had the idea of shoving the idiots (in my point of view) on to their own Island of Stupid once I rule the world (yes, I have a list of things I intend to change when I'm ruler of the world) because dealing with constant stupid and no common sense drives me up the wall.

Force them to fight to the death and the winner gets to be your court jester.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
true, but for the first few generations you have to deal with the butter-eating banjo-playing mice.

you gotta kill / let die the ones with incest failures. there will always be some healthy ones, just let them make enough Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: