TerraEarth Forums

Brotherhood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> TerraEarth Fanworks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:52 pm   Post subject: Brotherhood Reply with quote

Brotherhood
The story of Borgan and Chimera

Authors Note:
I wrote this story to clear some things up with people who have gotten far in TerraEarth: Absolute. Diligent players might have picked up on the connection between these two, but the game does not provide the whole story.

Here it is for you now. There are some slight spoilers ahead.

---

“I want nothing to do with him,” Chimera hissed as Jing Yung held out a note.

Jing Yung dropped the note on the ground in front of him and placed his hand back in his robe. Chimera was looking especially rigid today. His slick green hair and the scar near his lip had become trademarks that his fans had tried to emulate. But they could not come close to matching his fury.

“Sir, I think it would be unwise to open hostilities against your brother,” Jing Yung nodded. “We still need his protection. And the Company is getting more and more suspicious of us.”

“The Company will never openly attack us. They can’t risk revealing themselves to the public. As for my brother, the Chimera Clan has already grown so large that we no longer need consider ourselves part of Borgan’s Syndicate,” Chimera explained. “This new recruit, Blade, has shown promise, has he not? The raid on Evegrow last week should have strengthened our resolve. And yet I keep hearing doubts.”

“Do not forget where you come from, sir,” Jing Yung warned. “The Borgan Syndicate is notorious for dealing with traitors. Even if he is your older brother, he will-“

“Borgan made his choice. Instead of welcoming me into the Syndicate he said I was too young and too inexperienced. He protected my ‘petty band of thugs’ out of a sense of filial duty, nothing more,” Chimera nodded. “I no longer need him now, though. My Clan is larger than his Syndicate by almost one hundred men.”

“Sir, the note-“

“I don’t care. Leave it be. In fact, let us start sending a message to these idiots. I know their shipment details by heart. We’re going to start seizing their assets.”

“Sir! Direct conflict with the Borgan Syndicate is incredibly risky! We may have more men, but the Syndicate is better outfitted!”

“So,” Chimera said. “Surprise them.”

---

“Any word from my brother?” Borgan asked his bouncer.

The bouncer was a Demon. He was tall and dark, with large fangs that protruded upward from his underbite. His demon name was a long and hard-to-pronounce word that Borgan hadn’t bothered learning. To the Syndicate, he was known as Stig, the only part of his name that Borgan could remember.

“None yet,” Stig replied, bowing his head slightly. “Their raid on Evegrow was not authorized by us. Should we allow him to continue on his way?”

“I don’t like it anymore than you do, but I won’t get involved in a Clan War with my brother. I get why he’s so ticked off at me, okay. He keeps doing stupid stuff like this, the Company will catch them. I keep trying to warn him, but that’s all I can do.”

Stig inclined his head in the direction of the cave, where once the slave trade- and Borgan’s Syndicate- had thrived. “Times are tough for us.”

“Competition, Stig?”

“Mr. Nagato owns the North Continent. The South Continent is too protected by the Moderators to be a viable home for a crime ring. We used to be the undisputed power in the East Continent, but with your brother running amok people have forgotten we exist.”

“Not here in Freejia. The Mishima Clan may hold the deed to the city, but I own it.”

“But sir, be reasonable. The Mishima Clan, The Chimera Clan, your Syndicate. Even those Dark Gaia cultists have a decent following. Our Syndicate needs to assert its dominance over the others.”

“We used to own the slave trade. We still have the biggest export of Gem Dust and Aeris Root in the world. What would you suggest?”

Stig slammed his fist into his palm. “Make an example of this rogue clan. Show what happens to people who defy us. Go easy on your brother if you must, but this band of thugs needs to be put in their place.”

A syndicate member rushed up to Stig, bowed his head to Borgan, handed a note to Stig and then left.

“My brother?” Borgan asked.

Stig smiled grimly. “Sort of.”

He handed the note to Borgan. Borgan perused the note furiously. “Our shipment in North Cape was attacked. Somebody stole 150,000 Gems in Silvain Wine and Aeris Root.”

“Who do we know who specializes in that kind of hit-and-run?” Stig asked.

Borgan slammed his fist against the side of his house. Even the tough Stig took a step back.

“I offer peace and this is how I am repaid,” Borgan cursed. “Stig. Make an example of them.”

Stig grinned and bowed his head.

---

Two weeks later…

Chimera opened a small bag and emptied the glittering substance onto the table in front of him.

“I never thought my brother would continue drug-dealing. Guess the Syndicate has to make money somehow now that the slave trade is abolished,” Chimera laughed.

In the room with him was Haram Ku, an old man with a thick white moustache. He was chewing on a brown root and giggling. Jing Yung was in the corner sitting on a cushion, drinking from a flask filled with Olman’s Select. Victor Greymore, a man wearing a dark cloak, drank a red substance from a glass.

“Unusual,” Greymore commented looking at the powder. “Dealing in hallucinogens, I mean. Not much market for them in North Cape.”

“North Cape is a front. He’s trying to penetrate the South Continent. Thinks he can scurry in under the eyes of the Moderators,” Chimera explained. “Still, Gem Dust. I guess he just has the easiest access to the materials.”

“Time was the Mishima Clan had exclusivity on the stuff,” Jing Yung recalled.

“Times change,” Chimera nodded, taking a small straw from a parcel near him. “I’ve always wanted to try this stuff.”

Suddenly the doors burst open. Blade came rushing in.

“God damn it!” Chimera cursed and he punctured the inside of his nose with the straw. “What do you want?”

“Our chapter! It’s under attack!” Blade shouted.

“What?” Jing Yung demanded.

“It’s the Syndicate, sir!” Blade explained.

Chimera slammed his fist on the table. The dust scattered along the table.

“I warned you, sir!” Jing Yung cursed. “The Syndicate does not forgive!”
“What the hell are we waiting for?! Launch a counter-attack!” Chimera demanded.

“We’re doing our best sir, but they have us trapped. I managed to escape under the guise of a hostage, but they’re done for without reinforcements,” Blade explained.

“I’ll send my elites immediately,” Jing Yung nodded. “Now return to the battlefield. Quickly!”

“Yes, sir!” Blade nodded.

---

The forest camp was ablaze. Evegrow’s woods had never seen so much commotion before. Chimera rode in on a horse, Jing Yung and Greymore followed behind him. Haram Ku had giggled himself to sleep and was of no use.

“Sir, leave the right side to me,” Greymore said, raising his sword.

“I’ve got the left,” Jing Yung nodded.

“And I’ll charge right down the center,” Chimera nodded. “Do you think Borgan will be here, men? Of course not. Borgan has forgotten what true leaders do.”

Chimera rushed down the line knocking down syndicate members with his twin daggers. He leapt off his horse and began fighting on foot, his specialty. Two syndicates rushed at him from his right. He threw one of his daggers straight into the first’s heart. He charged at the second, grabbing his dagger from the man’s chest as he went. The second turned to flee, but Chimera’s dagger found his back first.

Suddenly one of the Syndicate’s shouted. “It’s Chimera! We must retreat!”

And as soon as the order was given, the syndicates fled.

“That’s right!” Chimera shouted. “Do not forget who you are dealing with!”

---

Six years later…

The Syndicate had all but fallen. Borgan had been prosecuted again for his crimes and forced to do work for the government. Blade had fled the Clan during the Dark Gaia Crisis and chose to side with the moderators. Chimera was impressed by Blade’s desire to do good, but nobody leaves the Clan.

However the Clan had been suffering too. The agents that had been hired by Seamus Kilarney had all been killed by members of the Brewmaster’s Guild. The Company had been even worse. Not only had they stopped a major raid of theirs, but one of their agents had killed Jing Yung and Victor Greymore. They had also imprisoned Haram Ku.

Chimera sat in the room where they had been strategizing six years prior. He opened the chest where he had stored the note that Borgan had written him. It was his intent to, upon conquering the Syndicate, hand the note back to Borgan.

He read it:

Chimera,

You are my brother. It is time for you to learn the truth.

I rejected you entrance into the Syndicate because I did not want you to get involved in the life I have been forced to lead.

Our father Abas forced me to learn the ways of the Syndicate. It is all I have known how to do ever since. I have such high expectations upon me that I cannot abandon the life.

It is too late for me but I thought I could save you. But your heart led you to this way of life you now lead. I implore you to get out before you end up living the same hollow sham of a life that I do.

I will never raise my sword against you. It is my sincere hope that you take these words to heart.

Your brother,
Borgan.

Chimera crumpled the note. Had he really been so arrogant? To throw away his brother’s letter out of some twisted pride? And now, because of his insanity, his two closest comrades were dead. He would end it himself.

---

The roof of the Tower of Babel had a great view. He had sent a message to the Company telling them to send the agent who had killed his friends to take him down. He would die by the same bullet.

He heard footsteps behind him. There were two.

Chimera turned and saw Blade walking next to a man wearing pilot goggles and a flight jacket.

“The Descendants eh?” Chimera laughed. “You two work for the Company now?”

“Part time job. After taking down Arashi, there’s not much work to do these days,” the pilot chuckled darkly.

“So, Blade. It’s been you running the operations against me. Has this been your plan all along?” Chimera asked.

“People change,” Blade nodded.

“So your traitorous actions are somehow honorable. Killing and imprisoning your former commanders is your idea of the right path?” Chimera demanded.

“I couldn’t let you do it anymore!” Blade shouted.

Chimera regarded his hands and then looked up. “Regardless what you might think of me, I care about my friends. I can’t just forgive what you’ve done. So let’s settle this properly.”

Chimera drew his daggers.

“If you can defeat me, then so be it. If you lose, however,” Chimera glanced over to the side of the roof where a bomb was laying. “Then we all lose.”

“You’re nuts!” The pilot shouted.

“Come on, Blade. I’ve almost forgotten how wonderful you were with the dagger. Why not remind me!”

Chimera threw his first dagger at Blade. Blade deflected it with his own and rushed at Chimera. Chimer threw his second. It hit Blade in the shoulder. Blade winced in pain and stabbed Chimera in the chest.

Chimera winced and fell to his knees.

“It’s over,” Chimera said, a tear rolling down his cheek. “Tell Borgan… tell my brother, that I’m sorry.”

Chimera fell to the ground, and breathed his last breath.

---

“Chimera has been slain,” Stig said. There was no joy in his voice this time.

Borgan sighed deeply. “He brought it on himself. I tried to protect him, but we must all live our own lives.”

Borgan turned and faced his window. “I just hope he is at peace now.”

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> TerraEarth Fanworks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: