TerraEarth Forums

This made me happy until... (or Women and Children)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:25 am   Post subject: This made me happy until... (or Women and Children) Reply with quote

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/Virtual-Villagers.html

Common Sense Media rates games for age appropriateness and rate meritous things such as Educational Value and Messages, as well as stuff to watch out for such as sex, drugs, violence language and even consumerism (which while I find a little whiny, i can see the merits of not wanting to teach our kids to want more and more stuff.)

But sometimes I think the PC Police go to far. They rated this game poorly on "Messages" due to this one flaw:

"The simulation reinforces how important it is to work together. But women with babies are automatically taken out of the work force for two years, and, unfortunately, shown doing nothing when caring for children. "

So... what?!

I do not mean to sound sexist, but frankly I think teaching girls that the proper thing to do for your baby is to take care of it is a damn good moral lesson.

I can see they're argument as being "well it makes women look like they're good for nothing but reproduction", but that's just the thing. This work force retraction is for a period of the childs infancy... kind of like the Maternity Leave that all these working women clamor for.

Frankly, and this is true of both parents, you SHOULD put your life on hold for your child.

Maybe they would have been less upset if men had also been seen removed from this work force, but the difference (and this is a biological fact) babies need their mom's breast milk for the first six months of their life. This game just extends that for a couple more months.

And really is that a worthy reason to dock this otherwise fine game.

I, for one, am fine with the traditional family unit ideal. I grew up in one. My mom gave up her jobs for a while to take care of her kids while my dad was out working ridiculous shifts as a soldier.

I get equality of the sexes, but this is a little ridiculous.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

thats stupid. with these standards being as they are, the original pokemon games wouldnt stand a chance.

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll complain when maternity leave is represented in a game, but not when women take it in reality.

I've heard pointless complaints about games before, but this may just raise the bar.

Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue stems from the fact that this was the only choice represented in the game. See, single mothers exist, and sometimes they have to keep working while juggling the care of their kids, so that they can have a roof on their heads.

This is more a criticism on the accuracy of the simulation than a complaint though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: