TerraEarth Forums

Motivation... Does it Matter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:15 am   Post subject: Motivation... Does it Matter? Reply with quote

Which do you think is more important? The actions of person, or the motivation behind the actions?

Overall, I tend to be a more linear thinker. Therefore my concern is with the here and now, where motivation matters very little.

I don't care why somebody does something, I will judge the actions on the merits of the action alone.

If somebody stabs me, I don't care if he was depressed and desperate and just trying to take my money to fee his kids, at the end of the day, I'm still injured or maybe even dead.

In contrast, if somebody helps me out just so that they can feel superior about themselves and tell everybody how they pulled me out of the fire... fine, go ahead. You still saved my ass.

This subject often comes up when studying history. Do we look at the events or study why they happen. Now I can see the merit and logic of delving into motivation, but in the "big picture" I think all that matters is action.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I always judge it the way it benefits me the most Wink
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i find motivation an important factor, but the actions are also important - after all, its the actions that people see, not the motivation.
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the actions that count more, but sometimes the motivation is seriously something to take note of depending on the severity of the action

or the motivation was there but the action was an accident..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: