TerraEarth Forums

Ground Zero Mosque

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we build the mosque near ground zero?
Build it!
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Build it, but I'm not happy about it.
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Don't build it, but I'm not happy about it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Absolutely don't build it!
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
No strong opinion.
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:23 am   Post subject: Ground Zero Mosque Reply with quote

This one has been causing a lot of stir lately. What are your thoughts on this?

For my part, I am in two minds:

On the one hand, I think refusing to allow this mosque to be built would be a huge step backwards for America and a travesty of justice. That would basically be us publicly declaring the church of Islam responsible for the actions of terrorists. Terrorists HAVE NO GOD.

That being said, I think it's a bit of a bad judgment call on the part of Islam and maybe even a bit insensitive. That would be somewhat akin to us Mormons building a temple at Mountain Meadows or the germans building a Beer Hall in the ruins of Auschwitz.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
anclunn
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 2,051

Postanclunn Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_mj3QknoPk

This is a video worth watching on the subject.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

People may not like it, but they do have the freedom to do so. You have the right to religion and worship in America.

With that in mind, I think it's in pretty poor taste. Fine, build a mosque, but is it necessary to build it right there? Controversy and anger were a given, so was that the point?

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it's rather relative. It's two blocks away from the actual Ground Zero- people are making out to be more than it really is.

That said, I do agree it's still in poor taste. They have the right to their religion, but the planners of this project should've had some foresight about this issue, and found a more... suitable area.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually. I found something out. This project was approved back in 2000! And they held back, ostensibly out of respect. That does greatly changes my opinion on the subject. post from phone ftw.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Actually. I found something out. This project was approved back in 2000! And they held back, ostensibly out of respect. That does greatly changes my opinion on the subject. post from phone ftw.

Actually, that changes the issue entirely. I mean, sure it may be in poor taste, but if they had planned on building it before-hand and waited this long, I say let 'em build it!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

Actually, that changes the issue entirely. I mean, sure it may be in poor taste, but if they had planned on building it before-hand and waited this long, I say let 'em build it!

yeah. if it was approved before any events that would have lead to controversy, they cant in any logical/PC way refuse them.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean it really is the difference between "we're gonna shove this mosque down your throats because we have the right to" and "we've already waited ten years for this out of respect, let's not wait any longer".

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

don't build it. I'm catholic, so I'm against all other religions and their churches Smile
Level 7: Raiden

Level 7: Raiden

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrorists have God(s), or at least the religiously justified ones do. But yeah even if the KKK owned the property it's their private property, and no one should be allowed to infringe on their right to use it however disrespectfully they might want to. The whole mosque is in bad taste and since one of the guys in charge of it has ties to George W. I feel pretty confirmed that the whole fiasco was just orchestrated behind the scenes by someone on the right wing to make Obama look bad. Since his choice was either to defend the constitution he swore to uphold or bend to public opinion and common decency.
The mosque is in bad taste (it would be until 10 or 20 years from now IMO) but there's nothing illegal about it, and the government should not be allowed to stop it's construction.
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It baffles me that this is even up for debate. It's nothing more than a private land owner who wants to use what he owns to build a religious community center. The biggest concern should have been is the building is specced up to the code and safety regulations.

Why would anyone want to oppose it anyways? It is allegedly going to have a muslim equivalent of American Idol hosted there and that is definitely something to check out for entertainment value alone.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
It is allegedly going to have a muslim equivalent of American Idol hosted there and that is definitely something to check out for entertainment value alone.

Maybe they'll have a Wet Burqah Contest!

Laughing

EDIT: HAHAHAH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfGWFtPks-Q&feature=sub

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: