TerraEarth Forums

Boo on the Human Rights Campaign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 pm   Post subject: Boo on the Human Rights Campaign Reply with quote

I've made my views on gay marriage quite clear. It should be allowed in this country, my religious views notwithstanding.

But now the HRC is running a smear campaign on my church because of a talk that one of the Presidency members gave recently.

For those of you who don't know for the past 180 years or so, the LDS Church has had something called General Conference. It is held biannually on April and October.

While the people talking and the talks themselves differ over the years, the same basic messages get through: We believe in Jesus, we believe in Joseph Smith, We believe in the Bible, Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. We try to uphold the law of chastity and the word of wisdom, etc...

Well amongst these many messages was (literally) a few sentences about our stance against homosexuality. Now the HRC has taken that snippet and is claiming that our church CHOSE to make this comment specifically about the gay student(s) who committed suicide... even though we always have this conference at the same time since our inception and even though our stance on homosexuality has always been the same and even though the Elder in question (Elder Packer) probably has had his talk prepared for months now.

This is a cheap attempt to get an outrage shock at our church, same as with the Prop 8 nonsense.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Small time 'extremist' churches are news worthy at the moment. Its just some idiot reporters/HRC guys doing what they do best, wait a week and they'll be roasting someone else for saying they don't believe in equal rights for women.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Manibrandr System
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unfortunate, but reputation the LDS have gotten over the years is very much well deserved. So it should come as no surprise that people will slant their views negatively towards it.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
It is unfortunate, but reputation the LDS have gotten over the years is very much well deserved. So it should come as no surprise that people will slant their views negatively towards it.

Pfft. It it weren't for the WBC and Scientology we'd be at the bottom of the Theological Food Chain.

Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well considering that the roots of that particular branch of Christianity is patently false, (One of the fundamental tenets of the Mormon belief system is that the indigenous Americans are Jewish descendants, however a quick lesson in anthropology 101 can easily prove that to be false since the migration of humans to the Laurentian continent happened in the last ice age when the sea level was low enough for a land bridge to be formed between present day Russia and Alaska, and this very much predates the rise of Judaism.) it is no surprise that the LDS would be lumped together with Scientology as a dangerous cult since they both have been known to guard the tenets of their faith with extreme jealousy and belligerence against any curious outsider.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
Well considering that the roots of that particular branch of Christianity is patently false.

My faiths validity is not the point of this debate, Valerie. The Human Rights Campaigns malicious, deceptive tactics are. As much fun as goading me into a religious debate is, I'm not turning the boards into a battleground again.

[Edit:

Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just explaining why people might lump the LDS in with the Scientologists.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
I am just explaining why people might lump the LDS in with the Scientologists.

Well more they lump us in with COBU and WBC than Scientology. Whether or not they believe we worship Jesus they at least know that we claim to, lol.

And even you must admit that Jesus, at the very least, existed. Whereas Xenu...

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, come to think of it I'd group the HRC in with scientology because the only thing the HRC really does is try to silence anybody outspoken against the gay community.

For instance...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: