TerraEarth Forums

Which series should come to an end?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Prime Blue
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
Freedan wrote:

The underlined section isn't a valid comparison. Batman has a 70 year history of being essentially the same character in a city consistently shown to be dark, with characters, settings and stories usually modeled after reality.

zelda was already 15 years old, and although the zeldas had various styles they were never this ga... colourful(?). it was just too much, I'm okay with variety.

Quote:
The bolded part... do I really need to point out how absurd such a generalization is?

at least the magazines shot it down in flames. and the number of sales wasn't that awesome. I remember quite the protest after it's first appearance.

it's a good game, and a good zelda game. but cell shading is just crap, it's for... heck, I don't even know who this adresses to. same with these toon graphics back on the SNES. even we little boys thought of this as for girls or whatever.

The 16-bit graphics are, and still remain, some of the most awesome classic games. They came from a time where you had to rely less on "fancy graphics" and more on imagination and playability -- unlike now, where most of the game market is dominated by the opposite.

Quote:
even we little boys thought of this as for girls or whatever.

Well, Miyamoto and his team of (mostly male) game designers didn't, so if you can't play a game without ego getting in the way, that's kinda sad.

Quote:
and although the zeldas had various styles they were never this ga... colourful(?).

I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with ... color?

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:

at least the magazines shot it down in flames. and the number of sales wasn't that awesome. I remember quite the protest after it's first appearance.

Which was quickly retracted when they actually played the game.

Go find a reputable, professional review source, and you'll find that the graphics are very often praised for the atmosphere they create, rather than criticized.

That's the problem with this line of thinking; there was a furor after its first appearance.

Last edited by Freedan on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miss Prime Blue
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
psychokind wrote:

Which was quickly retracted when they actually played the game.

Go find a reputable, professional review source, and you'll find that the graphics are praised for the atmosphere they create, rather than criticized.

That's the problem with this line of thinking; there was a furor after its first appearance.

Word, Freedan.

Also, Zelda was never meant to be a hostile game in the first place; it was meant to be an imaginative game about rescuing the princess, much the Mario games.

The only reason Zelda has hostile and "Dark" elements in it at all, was most likely because fans kept asking for them.

I remember when they tried that with Sonic the Hedgehog and tried to make Shadow a badass and gave him a gun. It just didn't really work.

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind Waker is the 2nd best of the Zeldas. it is an amazing game, and the graphics are absolutely amazing. As the others have said, the world feels far more alive and vibrant then in any other Zelda game.

I think the issue with the graphics stems from what was the first previewed to the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEF9Utdu-L0

compared to what we actually got. Nintendo released WW at the peak of "OMGGRAPHICSMAKETHEGAME" period. Long before anyone else even considered going for anything other then realistic Nintendo did it. WW paved the way for more stylised visuals that are common place today (take Street Fighter 4 as an example) and gameplay wise it was up there with Ocarina.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Shiva Indis
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, Wind Waker is about the third highest rated game in the series and the fourth highest selling Gamecube game. Nonetheless, Nintendo was disappointed that it didn't encourage much console buying, and evidently that sent the developers back to the drawing board.

subjectnamehere wrote:
I've never seen Zelda as a "dark" franchise. What attracts me to the series is the "adventurous" feeling; that is, exploring, discovering new places, fighting monsters and solving puzzles and actually feeling like the Hero.

Agreed. The series was supposed to express the fun of going exploring in the woods as a kid. While no Zelda title worth its salt has failed to evoke that feeling, the I'd say that post-Wind Waker, the handheld games succeed more.

But lest anyone accuse me of derailing the topic: who am I to say that a series people still want to buy has gone on too long? Wink
PaGaN3l3m3nts
Level 7: Raiden

Level 7: Raiden

Gems 1,022

PostPaGaN3l3m3nts Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the games mentioned, the only one I'd really like to see take a rest is Metal Gear. Solid was amazing, and I initially loved Solid 2 even more, though the years have been cruel to it. But with every game following, I've just had to face-palm more and more, so that these days, any bit of new metal gear info forces me to fold unto myself for an all-limbs Face Palm x4 combo. But, apparently, other people don't think so, so I guess there's the audience, so I guess I'll just grumble in the corner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: