TerraEarth Forums

Panhandling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 pm   Post subject: Panhandling Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone is unfamiliar with the term, but just in case; "panhandling" is a term for begging (homeless people asking for money on a street corner).

My question is: what do you do if you're approached by a panhandler? Or if you see someone on a street corner?

Around where I live, there are a couple of popular places for them. A couple of intersections where they sit on the median with a sign saying something along the lines of "homeless and hungry, any help appreciated", etc.

I really wish I could help these people, but there's one thing keeping me from doing so: I don't know if they're lying to me.

Not far from here, there was an older lady known as the "Shaky Lady", who used to ask for help on account of being homeless. People felt compelled to help her on account of her medical condition that caused her to shake.

After a long time, it was found out that she was faking everything. No medical condition, and she wasn't homeless. She was scamming money.

So I don't give money. There's a chance that they're honestly in need, and a few dollars could help. But there's an equally good chance they just need beer money. I'm sorry I can't help if they're really in need, but the scammers have ruined it.

So what about you? Do you give to people on the street? Do you avoid them?

Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid them most of the time, I only give them sth. if they catch me off-guard and don't look like homeless people on first sight.

Then again, I sometimes feel bad when I spend loads of money on a saturday evening on drinks and still hesitate to give them small amounts.

But bottom line, in 98 %, I think they're scamming and I just avoid them, can't be bothered even with a "nope, don't have anything", I just give them an annoyed look and go on.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In the area where I live we have a lot of "fakers". These people work 9-5 jobs, and have homes and then panhandle on the weekends... AND MAKE MORE MONEY THAN THEY DO AT THEIR JOB.

But in my hometown there is this one couple and their dog with the same story every week:

"Broken Down, need gas money to get home, anything helps."

Clearly it's a story, so I had a little fun one day. I found their sign and wrote in a big black sharpie:

"TOO LAZY TO GET A JOB. ANYTHING HELPS."

My big beef is that it's people like that who detract from those who are actually in need. And frankly homeless or not there are options. Ironically a lot of "homeless" people don't panhandle. They get government assistance of some kind and there are even homeless people who have jobs!

So I don't know. I have mixed feelings on the subject... Mad

Rest in peace, old avatar.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My response is always, "Sorry, I don't have any money."

You are not my problem. There are places you can go to turn yourself around. If you are too lazy or stupid to manage that, you do not deserve my help.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:

You are not my problem. There are places you can go to turn yourself around. If you are too lazy or stupid to manage that, you do not deserve my help.

This. We have a ton of homeless in downtown Reno and some are most likely telling the truth; however also in downtown Reno is a place where those who are homeless can go to get food, shelter, and they can get any help to get back on their feet. But they don't. If they don't want to help themselves, why should I bother? The money would go to booze or drugs or maybe even a prostitute. Why do I want to help that?

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
tay120n64 wrote:

This. We have a ton of homeless in downtown Reno and some are most likely telling the truth; however also in downtown Reno is a place where those who are homeless can go to get food, shelter, and they can get any help to get back on their feet. But they don't. If they don't want to help themselves, why should I bother? The money would go to booze or drugs or maybe even a prostitute. Why do I want to help that?

I've also heard the argument that these homeless people are "Too proud" to ask for that assistance- which is given open and freely- instead by asking people for their money. So, how is that any different? Truth is, alot of them are looking for booze, and as Raini put it, prostitutes and drugs as well.

I'm not sure how it is for anyone else, but do people have those tin cans that say "Help the poor" or "Help abused animals" or "Help abused children" in their local corner delis? A few years back a guy got busted for putting these cans up that were supposed to help abused animals... truth was, he was using it for himself. In something like 10 years, he made over 400,000 USD- nearly half a million- for ripping off people who were legitmately trying to help what they thought were sick animals.

It's sad people will do this kind of stuff... and even sadder people will pretend to be poor.

(A story for another time: I was literally "bum-rushed" and thought I was going to die. But that's a story for another time...)
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

there are almost none in the area I live, otherwise I just don't see them. the only time I looked at bums was back in school when 3 of them lived in our school park and we sometimes changed cigarettes against canned beer with them.

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:

this.

although ive been known to fish out some change for the more sorry-looking ones if they approach and ask.
Legend shall speak

Level 6: Stone Golum

Level 6: Stone Golum

Gems 131

Postrayim Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is *how* you choose who is legit and who is a good actor. Here in Europe almost all of them are either forced to do this or, if they are not and do not accept to be part of a 'band' they are beaten to death.
And the higher-ups build enormous houses with the money the lower-levels collect.
True story, there are numerous articles pointing to this.

So I avoid all of them. Heck, once one of these guys pretended so good that he was without the lower legs that you actually believed it. And after that we saw him WALKING to a bar. -__-
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

there'S a quite interesting/disgusting political debate about these guys in the city i live. the mayor said "no more sitting around and begging, guys. GTFO."

SO. this had a pretty interesting effect: random people started sitting in the street which connected the two major squares of my city (the street where most of the beggars were). and when police came over and said "get up, guys, you arent allowed to beg here anymore" they were like "WTF, just sittin' here".

now to my personal opinion:
as already stated, its quite hard to tell who really needs it and who doesnt. we already had cases of "begging-mafia", and no, this is not a joke. a local newspaper discovered that many, many beggars are brought by cars or trucks, set to "their places" and picked up after dark again.

and even IF everyone of them REALLY needed my help: i cant help ALL of them. so how could i give the one who is hungry 10 bucks but the other one who needs surgery or other medical treatment nothing? this is just an example but you get my point.

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't give money to beggars. This is because that money would go to beer or cigarettes.

Seriously, I tested it once. A beggar approached me, asking me for some financial mercy because he hadn't eaten in days. Instead of giving him money, I bought the guy something to eat. He didn't want it, so I ate it myself Mad
arkisdabomb
Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lived the better part of the last 4 years, including right now, "homeless", hopefully I can give some insider knowledge.

So, backstory: I was kicked out of my house at 17. I was still in school, had no job, etc. I've been in about 4-5 shelters in various places in Ontario, both youth and adult's shelters.

Now, a major reason why some people choose not to go to the shelters, at least on the adult side of things: those places are fucking scary. Most of the people there are high or drunk off their ass, violent, and greedy. chances are, you're probably going to get your ass kicked.

on a similar subject, a lot of pan handlers are doing it to get more drugs or booze etc. But most of them are doing it because they cannot physically do anything else. They are dealing with serious chemical addictions, to the point where their entire life revolves around getting their next hit.

There is also, sadly, a large number of mentally disabled people who are homeless, because they have no one able to support them, and they can't support themselves. This group, as well as the group above (the addicts) more often than not either don't know about the supports that are available to them, or if they do, they take advantage of them just to support their drug habit.

The way shelters work, at least in Canada, is every week we are given a weekly allowance, known as PNA, or personal needs allowance. As it stands right now, it is just over $30 a week. That's enough for about 3 joints of weed. So they have food, they have shelter, and they have money for their drugs. As far as they are concerned, they have it good. I've seen on rare occasions these people will suppliment that with panhandling. While we have housing support workers and employment counsillers, many of them choose not to use them. And before anyone says it, they can't kick the people who aren't using the support given to them out.

So yeah, not giving my own personal opinion (though I personally don't panhandle), but hopefully this was helpful and I wasn't just rambling. If anyone has questions pertaining to homelessness and the supports they have available to them, go ahead and ask and I'll answer them as best I can.
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that sucks. How old are you at the moment? I'm guessing you are getting by and don't fall into the addict category, which is good. You seem to know a lot about the services available as well, anything that can help get out of the situation your in, or is it more just get by day by day stuff?

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
arkisdabomb

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently 21, which thankfully means I still fall into the "youth" category (which goes up until you're 25). And no, I'm not part of the addict category, which is nice.

There are a large number of resources available to me, most of which I am taking advantage. There is the usual social assistance, which is the easiest way to get out of homelessness. The path I'm taking personally is through the various employment agencies, which help you find a job, via resume helping, interview skills, and paying for interview clothes if you need them. They also help you job search and generally get you prepared for work.

Once you get either one of these, then there are workers who's sole job is helping you find housing. Once you do that then you're pretty much good to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: