TerraEarth Forums

Guess What My Phone Can Do That Yours Can't (Maybe)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:50 pm   Post subject: Guess What My Phone Can Do That Yours Can't (Maybe) Reply with quote

Okay, so I have discovered the joy of ROMS for Droid. (And yes, for those of you that know not I am currently using the first gen Droid with Android 2.1).

So I have an SNES Emulator and a Gameboy Color Emulator. So far the Gameboy Emulator seems to work perfectly but the SNES emulator is glitchy as hell. Some games don't load properly, like Star Fox, which crashes at the training levels first sign of rings.

Others have graphic glitches like Final Fantasy III (really VI) which on top of having battle animations affect the entire screen and water appear to cover most cavern areas the game also crashes immediately after beating Vargas.

Illusion of Gaia seems to work okay except South Cape is devoid of water, so I like to pretend I'm playing post apocalyptic Illusion of Gaia where Will is on a quest to die so he can escape this living hell.

The only problem is that since the buttons are touch screen components they are UNBELIEVABLY hard to work when it comes to a game that requires action. Donkey Kong is unplayable (sad, since the graphic glitches steer clear of this one) and running is impossible in IoG. I dread trying to pull off the Psycho Spin with this one.

Still it's fun for the novelty of it and if you have a Droid, it's worth taking a look. It may be because I'm using the free Lite version, which hilariously says that I'm unable to use save states and yet I can save on the rom just fine so I fail to see the point.

As for Gameboy Color I'm playing Links Awakening DX which is working great except for some completely unfathomable reason the dialogue is in French. Fortunately this is not a game I play for its gripping storyline (no offense Tay) but for it's awesome puzzle-solvey slashy breaky fun.

Oh and I will be playing Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons for the first time shortly and am currently playing Pokemon Yellow. This is only because I couldn't find a ROM for Blue or Red and Yellow at least has the world map, plus you get to get all the starter pokemon without having to trade.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an android phone, and unless I were still using my old phone, I'm fairly certain my phone and iphones and all those types that would be able to play roms on 'em with the right emulator. So yes, my phone can too Razz

Course I value my battery life over my entertainment, and even then I have angry birds Laughing

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
I have an android phone, and unless I were still using my old phone, I'm fairly certain my phone and iphones and all those types that would be able to play roms on 'em with the right emulator. So yes, my phone can too Razz

Course I value my battery life over my entertainment, and even then I have angry birds Laughing

The title wasn't meant to be a serious put-down. Anybody with Android / iPhone can do this, of course.

I'm actually impressed at how well the Droid holds up. Battery life be damned I can be browsing the internet listening to music and then play games for two hours and it still won't even be half drained. And this is a hand-me-down from my GF (well a sell for $100 me down).

EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

im quite happy my phone doesnt let me play snes/gba games. i procrastinate enough at uni as it is.

...if i could play pokemon or snes games during uni... (without bringing out my laptop) ... i fear for my grades.
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the Xperia Play (PlayStation Phone for the uninformed) and I'll probably be checking out emulators sometime soon. Very Happy

Haven't really had a chance to test drive the battery life. So long as its any better than my 3DS, I'll be happy.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Just bought the Xperia Play (PlayStation Phone for the uninformed) and I'll probably be checking out emulators sometime soon. Very Happy

Haven't really had a chance to test drive the battery life. So long as its any better than my 3DS, I'll be happy.

The magical and annoying thing about cell phones, even smartphones, is that you have two meters of battery life. Standby time and talk time. Your average handset has 4 hours of talk time and 40 hours of standby time. I.E. if you are on the phone for 4 hours straight your battery will be worn completely, but just doing auxillary stuff your battery lasts much longer. Anything involving radio transmission such as your standard talk, text, web affair takes more battery than say the camera or mp3 player in most phones, in varying degrees.

Now since Xperia is designed as game machines their batteries are probably improved accordingly. As a matter of fact now I'm curious...

Okay:

Game Time: 5 hr 30 min.

Talk Time: 8 hr 25 min.

Standby time: 425 hr.

That standby time is freakin' amazing! I've never seen a battery with that kind of capabilities!

Of course those are the ratings for GSM. Since CDMA technology is more efficient you may notice a bit of an increase in those numbers (for talk time only, obviously).

Well I think it's interesting!!!! Mad

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty awesome. I'm all excited about my new phone now!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, that means youll never have to charge it... if you dont use it.

standby time is helpful but at that point i'd say its a bit redundant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: