TerraEarth Forums

Cyber-Bullying
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever been a victim of cyberbullying?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

Manibrandr System
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A realization hit me. I think we are thinking of completely different cases here. When I see the term "cyber-bully" I think of something that is purely online, that the two parties concerned have no idea who each other are and are probably on opposite sides of the planet. I am willing to bet that what you are thinking off is a hybrid case where the people involved have an influence in your meatspace, where you meet the person in real life, which is most likely the case because you mentioned cases where the attacks spilled over to real life.

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I was referring to. When I think "cyber-bullying", I mean an online extension of bullying in person.

If you're going to bully someone, chances are it's someone you know. Most bullies wouldn't just pick on some random kid, they'll go after someone they're sure they can intimidate. Cyber-bullying (to me) is continuing the threats and intimidation outside just the physical. Hacking someone's Facebook page and posting denigrating, humiliating messages, for example. Those actions are likely to lead to other people picking on the victim in person.

But yes, it sounds like we just had a different idea of what online bullying was. If someone were to send me a PM insulting me, I wouldn't consider that cyber-bullying, because I have no idea who they are, and their actions aren't likely to lead to further bullying from other people. It would just be some idiot being a troll. Meh/Worried

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

briefly speaking cyber-bullying is the after-school bullying carried on on facebook. it's like extending the time someone get's bullied to double the time.
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
A realization hit me. I think we are thinking of completely different cases here. When I see the term "cyber-bully" I think of something that is purely online, that the two parties concerned have no idea who each other are and are probably on opposite sides of the planet.

Exclamation all makes sense now! Of course, in this case, you can simply click the x-button in the right upper corner, as long as they don't hack your FB profile...!

Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyber bullying can be from people you know, it's not just strangers. It is the use of technology to bully someone, if you know them or not

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: