TerraEarth Forums

#Occupy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:53 pm   Post subject: #Occupy Reply with quote

Here is my five-point opinion of the whole #Occupy thing:

1. Is there an unfair balance of wealth? Yes.
2. Are there some unemployed people who have good reason to be unemployed? Yes.
3. Are there even more people who just abuse the system? Hell yes.
4. Do these people deserve my sympathy? Fuck no.
5. Will changing the system actually solve anything? Sadly, no.

So get off your damn soapbox and stop shouting protests in the middle of the workday. I've always said if you actually want to accomplish something, work at it. Don't just stand around and bitch.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree that shouting slogans in the street isn't the most effective use of time, but there are legitimate grievances. When these wealthy few are capable of influencing government policy, then it becomes a problem.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

one should think we live in societys so big that we need our representatives to enforces the peoples will. it's sad, and in my view it's a step backwards, to see that people themselves have to go on the streets to do it ourselves like the arabs we see so much behind in terms of governing.

if I was the german chancellor, I would have occupied Frankfurt with military force shortly after the crisis in 2008. if there was standing a big machine in my country where people could shoot packages into companies and households with either money or termites in them, the fear of crumbling down houses and production sides would surely outweigh the money.

the financiel sectors dominate all western democracies, with this going so far that the EU sets their meetings inbetween the closing of wall street and the opening of the stock markets in tokio and the leaders of the USA/Japan/Russia etc. making themselves ridicolous by begging the EU and mainly Germany for saving the € despite being heavily more in dept themselves, all while damaging interstate relationships.

I'm sitting here in australia and see my money getting worth less and less, just because some fags in suits can't control their greed and play with money without countervalue while on the other hand, greedy robbers like brigade capital channel their greed to purposely attack currencies to make profit.

I would never stand in line to get to shake the hand of ackermann like the worlds leaders on the last IIF festival, I'd have a corridor opened by policemen in black coats with helmets and arms, and on the end he would stand shivering in fear that I'm in a good mood.
if they don't play by the roules, the nations should neither. treat the banks like they deserve it. I have lost more than enough money despite having participated in none of their lotteries.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you've got my vote for Chancellor... even though I'm an American citizen and not even sure how the electoral process works in Germany.

Of course it's mainly because if you become the next Hitler I want to still be on good terms so I can join the glorious TerraEarth master race. Very Happy

I kid, I kid.

But still with Greece collapsing from within and the EU making a desperate decision to simply pretend that 50% of their debt doesn't exist, I find it hard to believe that you think that American or Japanese governments decisions are any more ridiculous. Yeah America is in debt up to its eyeballs, but if we were removed from the global economy (not unlike China, Japan, Russia and EU) there would be a worldwide depression even greater than we currently face.

Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, was that a Nazi Germany joke I just read.... bad taste, bad taste lol.

Im just lucky in live in Aust, somehow we just manage to have these things blow right past us without little to no effect. Although with our current inept government it wont be long until we are in massive debt as well.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as the U.S. $ looses its status as the worlds trading currency, Americans will be, due to your deps, in the biggest shit imaginable.
And as soon as it affects you, Jase, you'll go on the streets aswell.

And "changing the system" takes place in slow, not really notable steps; compared to the big society-overhaul protestors are asking for. If this wouldn't take place, we'd still be stuck in the 60's, with no environment agenda in any of the partys program (in Austria at least - and I'm not talking about the 'Al Gore global warming - issue of 2007' - type of stuff)

Before the #Occupy thing started in the US, there were protests in many European Countries, Spain, France, usw.

The people who did/do go on the street are not your average armchair lefty-type of guys who are just flatout narrowminded; the people there actually lost sth., either their savings or their house or whatever due to the market/the banks/etc., or they are pissed that their taxes are being raised due to the crisis while the banks continue business as usual.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Well you've got my vote for Chancellor... even though I'm an American citizen and not even sure how the electoral process works in Germany.

Of course it's mainly because if you become the next Hitler I want to still be on good terms so I can join the glorious TerraEarth master race. Very Happy

I kid, I kid.

But still with Greece collapsing from within and the EU making a desperate decision to simply pretend that 50% of their debt doesn't exist, I find it hard to believe that you think that American or Japanese governments decisions are any more ridiculous. Yeah America is in debt up to its eyeballs, but if we were removed from the global economy (not unlike China, Japan, Russia and EU) there would be a worldwide depression even greater than we currently face.

thanks(?) Very Happy

actually the EU's the bigger economy measured on gdp and has less debts. china will surely overtake us all soon anyway. and as blade said, you'll lose even more of your former importance as soon as the dollar loses its status.

blade made the most easy to understand point: as soon as you realize you have already lost money or you're about to lose some, you will understand the hipsterfags protesting.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho hum. More doomsaying. The United States has been in jeapoardy of losing its global economic importance since 1929 and we still manage to hang around (mainly becauseif we get too broke we just go invade some other country, lol)

But the problem, blade, is china can't yet afford to call in our debt. 20 yearrs from now.... yeah we may be screwed.

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt China could afford to call in the debt at all. Everyone thinks that China could destroy America's economy any time they want, but if the U.S. goes down, China goes with them.

China depends on the U.S. to stabilize their economy more than the U.S. does on China. And the U.S. economy is slowing down partly because so much of the population is aging and retiring; China will have a similar problem in 20 years or so.

People think China is going to take over the world, but they're hardly invincible, and they'll have some serious problems of their own soon enough.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
I doubt China could afford to call in the debt at all. Everyone thinks that China could destroy America's economy any time they want, but if the U.S. goes down, China goes with them.

you could change USA and China with EU, Japan, Russia, India and so on. thanks to globalization, nobody can't "afford" to see any of the big economies go down anymore.

the difference is that china with their relentless form of governing could handle a sudden lost of prosperity better than our democracies.

I think being the biggest economy is nothing that has any use to any normal people anyway. the US, japan and china are bigger than Germany for a long time, and I still think you live the best life in Germany. it's just normal that we can't compete with countries that have 350 million or 1.1 billion people.

I bet if you ask an Aussie if he cares about Australia not being in the top 5 he wouldn't care. he'd say "mate, I have a good income from sth a German would call part time job, nice weather, a beach nearby and my car is a V8" Very Happy

this thread is about people like my described Aussie suddenly losing their job and can't repay their mortgage because some guys on the other side of the world gambled too much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: