TerraEarth Forums

7 Films To See (SBiF's Picks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:11 pm   Post subject: 7 Films To See (SBiF's Picks) Reply with quote

A few of you might now I'm something of a movie buff. I love watching them, collecting them, discussing them, dissecting them (Sometimes I'll watch a movie with the simple intention of finding something the filmmakers missed- like a character crawling on the ground to get behind an actress for a jump scare)

I've decided to compile a list of seven movies you've likely never seen, and really should give a try. They're some of my favorites. I'm not going to go for bigger-named pictures- although obviously if you've never seen the FIRST Matrix film, you really should get around to that. (Not the sequels- those sucked)

Without further ado, in no particular order:

1. Paul McCartney Really Is Dead: The Last Testament of George Harrison

I'm a huge fan of conspiracy theories, whether I believe them or not. The 9/11 story, JFK's assassination, whatever. This film claims to have gotten an actual recording of George Harrison- telling the remarkable story of how Paul McCartney died, and was subsequently replaced by an imposter.

The film uses pretty much every single shred of evidence that fans have uncovered over the last four decades, including backmasked lyrics, album cover clues, hidden meanings in song titles and lyrics.

Do I believe Paul is Dead? No, not really. A quick google search quickly debunks the story- one of the albums they claim “proves” Paul is dead was released BEFORE his given death date- November 9th, 1966. (This album is Yesterday and Today if you're interested)

That said, I've been always creeped out by backwards masked songs. One in particular comes not from a Beatle song but from a George Harrison solo song- the backwards message goes "He never wore his shoes we all know he was dead." It isn't the lyric that's creepy, but when you hear it in the documentary it's almost happy sounding. Really weird.

Like I said, I don't think Paul is Dead. But with the abundance of clues shared, along with images and footage of the band- kinda makes you think. It's not great, but definitely worth a watch. Or two.

Where to Watch: It's currently on Netflix instant stream, and is also available on DVD.

2. Phantasm (The Series)

I've told a few of my friends about this underground series- four films released between 1979 and 1999- tell one story of a boy, a "Tall Man," flying killer spheres, evil dwarves, muscle cars, and a four-barreled shotgun. I didn't catch you with that? How about a mind-bending tale of good versus evil?

Don Coscarelli, known best for this and the first Beastmaster movie, weaves a tale that, if you're not questioning the end of each film but the time it's finished, you weren't paying attention in the first place. The films weave horror and sci-fi elements very well, and, while the first installment has some hokey special effects (Mostly an evil bug in a kids hair- if you see it you'll know what I mean by this) the story should help you to overlook any of the films faults.

I won't go into much detail but the sequels, but the second one is more action oriented than the other three films, the third more comedic at points, and the fourth, and final film, which was filmed on a low budget and inter-spliced with unused footage shot during the first film, is more of a film that will leave you with more questions than answers.

As I've said, I've been a fan of these films for many years. They are all distinctively similar yet each with their own conceit and feeling. I love these films, and you will, too.

Where to Watch: All four films were on Netflix instant stream. Now, only the second is available. Films 1, 3, and 4 are available on Special Edition DVD in the US, and in other markets together in a boxset. The second is available in a single disc version in the US as well as movie multi-packs.

3. Bubba Ho-Tep

Sometimes it's really hard to describe a film, because it's entirely outlandish in it's plot and narrative. So, to be frank, this film is about a cowboy mummy who sucks the souls out from peoples assholes in a Texas retirement home. Don't think it could get any more ridiculous than that? How about two of the residents are Elvis, who switched places with an impersonator, and a black JFK, whose brain was transplanted just before the shooting?

As ridiculous as this may sound, the film is really good. Directed by Don Coscarelli (Who also made the Phantasm films) and from writer Joe R. Lansdale, this film has just the right amount of crazy to keep you entertained. The cast includes Bruce Campbell as the aged rock n roll legend, in what is probably his greatest role of his B-movie career. Screen legend Ossie Davis plays a black JFK in his last screen role.

I have to say out of all of Bruce Campbells films, many of which are loved by horrors fans (Maniac Cop, Evil Dead) this is by far his best work. He really gives it his all as Elvis, and if you're not sucked in by his performance by the end of the movie, than you probably weren't paying a attention. Evenmy brother, who usually isn't into films like this, was sucked in by it's strange power.

I'm not going to say this movie is perfect, or even great, but it's a strange story with twists and a lot of ambiguity. I would say of all the films this one is definitely needs to be seen... if you can find it.

Where to Watch: It's on DVD, but it may be out of print.

4. Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon

I'm a horror buff by nature, and any time a film has great scares, great acting, and laughs, I'm down. The film, which is styled as a documentary, concerns a crew of filmmakers meeting with the “next in line of the dark legacy held by the names of Voorhees, Myers and Krueger.”

The film infers those famous characters actually exist in our world, and a new face is trying to make his way into those names so synonymously attached to terror. (A cool opening features footage shot on the same street as the original Halloween, and a cameo from Kane Hodder AKA Jason Voorhees, outside the original house from Elm Street 1 and 2)

The film stars Nathan Baesel in his first screen role as the title character. He brings a certain manic energy to the character that makes him instantly likeable. He also turns that on a head, becoming intense a moments notice, and also throws in a fair share of comedy that, while not outright mocking, pokes fun at the various parts of the slasher genre. He takes us from his daily training regiment to his pre-emtive strikes against his intended target, to his preperation for his reveal and “big night.”

The cast is overall good, and works to compliment Leslie Vernon. Angela Goethals stars as Taylor Gentry, the documentary interviewer, and gives quite the counter-balance of level-headedness to Nathans at time over-the-top crazy.

In quite the shocking turn, Robert Englund, best known as Freddy Krueger, plays the role of Doc Holloran, Leslie's psychiatrist, taking a page from Donald Pleseances' Dr. Loomis from Halloween. While the role is brief, Englund makes the best of it.

If you're a fan of the slasher genre you'll love this movie. It's funny, it's scary, and it's gory at times too. If you're not, it's still a great film and almost a dissected look at the slasher genre as a whole.

Currently a drive is being done, much in the same fashion as the AVGN movie, to get the funds to make a sequel. If you see this and love it as much as I do, go take a look. They have a page for the second movie on Facebook. Just search up the title “Before the Mask: The Return of Leslie Vernon.”

Where To Watch: It's on DVD, but also currently available on Netflix instant stream.

5. American History X

A send-off from a good portion of the rest of this list, the film, probably the best “Alan Smithee” film ever made (More on this later) with a real powerful story about the sins of our fathers, racism, and the choices we make and how they effect us in the end.

The story of this film concerns Edward Furlong's character, Danny, who is given a school project by his principal (played by Avery Brooks of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) to write a paper regarding the reason his brother ended up in jail. His brother, Derek (played by Edward Norton) was the leader of a gang of Neo-Nazi's, who ends up in jail after a hauntingly powerful scene where he shoots, and then curb-stomps a would-be car thief.

The story shows through various flashbacks how Derek became a racist, and how his time in prison changed who he was for the better. It deals with the idea that we are not all born monsters, but can become them due to both nurture (from our parents) and nature (our surroundings).

The movie is considered a classic today. The original director, however, had a different version of the film in mind. Due to a contract clause for Edward Norton, he had final say over how his character was portrayed in the film, and had significant edits done. The director had his name removed from the movie, and even did a documentary on the subject. Alan Smithee is a name commonly used in Hollywood when a director removes himself from the project, usually in order to avoid embarrassment. In this case, it was to show that having creative control clauses in actors contracts is rarely ever a good thing.

Where to Watch: The film is on DVD and Blu Ray. Worth a rent, if not a purchase.

6. The Frighteners

This film kind-of flew under the radar when it was released in the late 90's. This is the film Peter Jackson made, and upon finishing it, began his work on the unforgettable Lord of the Rings trilogy.

This film concerns Frank Bannister, (Michael J Fox just before his Parkinsons really came to light) a man with the ability to see and speak with ghosts. He starts a paranormal removal business, using his ghost "friends" to scam unsuspecting victims out of money.

The film introduces a plot with a "dark force" that kills people, looking like the grim reaper. Frank can see people who are about to die- a number appears on their head that only he can see.

The cast of characters are quirky and different. The ghosts are funny- including a 50's nerd, a 70's disco dancer, and a 1800's judge. Funny side note: Michael J Fox several times during the movie would refer to the "Judge" character as Doc. You can see some of this here

Definitely worth a watch, especially see the mind behind arguably the greatest cinema trilogy of the last decade.

Where to watch: Netflix had this to stream last time I checked. The DVD is cheap, too. About five bucks.

7. Man On The Moon

I love stories. Thats just the way I am. I love human dramas, the rise and fall of a star. The idea that one person could have everything a person dreams of and then throws it away because they love their art more than money... it's an incredible idea.

Man On The Moon is the story of Andy Kaufman, a comedian best known for his role as Latka on Taxi. The film stars Jim Carrey as Andy, and is quite honestly engrossing in the role. Wrestling Legend Jerry Lawler, who appears in the film as himself, said when he met Carrey for the first time, he never got out of character and at times he thought the spirt of Andy had taken over Carrey during the filming of the movie.

The film takes a more dramatic turn for a lot of the events of his life, and leaves out some pretty outlandish events too- story has it Andy Kaufman and his friend, Bob Zmuda, broke into Neverland Ranch and slept on Elvis' bed without anyone knowing.

The story starts with his childhood dream of being a famous comic, and takes him through his days as a nobody stand-up comedian, his famous “Mighty-Mouse” bit on SNL, and his time on Taxi. Interestingly enough, other than Tony Danza and Danny Devito (Who in this film plays Andy's manager), the entire original cast of the show appears as themselves, on an exact replica of the original stage the show was shot on.

The film continues with his dread of working on a laugh-track comedy show, and actually trying to get himself fired from the film. It touches base on his primetime special, as well as his infamous feud with Jerry Lawler, which takes a surprising turn in the middle of the film that a lot of fans didn't know about until this movie was release. (I will let you see that for yourself)

The film finishes with Andy discovering he has a rare cancer, which eventually takes his life. It's a rather beautiful and poignant story, with a lot of strong performances from the cast on a whole. Having a majority of the real-life people playing themselves gave the film some gravitas, and Carrey's performance alone is breaktaking. Definitely worth a watch.

Where to Watch: Definitely worth picking up on DVD. If you can see some of Andy Kaufman's work on youtube or elsewhere, it's definitely a good precursor to film to give you an idea of the mad-mind behind the comic.

Here's some notable mentions:

Re-Animator

Pirates of Silicon Valley (A made for TV Movie about the war between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates- pretty good)

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy - A 4 hour documentary that might be better than all nine films. Really in depth and covers the entire history and legacy of not only the franchise and it's creators, but New Line Cinema as well.

More to come when I can think of some.

Now it's your turn: Do you have any films you might suggest that I watch? I'm always looking for something new to see, a new film to experience. Even if you think I (Or anyone else for that matter) has seen it, you may be surprised. It was only in the last three years I've seen Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, and John Carpenters The Thing. I gotta lot of catching up to do...

EDIT: I completely forgot to include a 6th one. -.-; It's here now...
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: