TerraEarth Forums

Tales of Lost Saves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:14 am   Post subject: Tales of Lost Saves Reply with quote

So I've been playing Lufia II recently, and I had just crossed the ocean and started the second major portion of the game, when I decided to take a bit of a break. A week or so later, I picked it back up and popped it in my SNES. A blank screen appeared. Now when it comes to SNES games, when a blank screen appears on a game you play often, it means that the files have just been erased and God hates you (mostly the former, though I've evidence to support the latter in certain cases).

I crossed my fingers that this was a fluke, and my files were fine, however luck was not on my side this evening. When I got the game working I found that all files had been erased, much to my dismay (thankfully, only one file was mine, and it was not NG+). Naturally, I do not plan on starting over now, so back on the shelf Lufia II goes, maybe for another year or several.

Has this sort of thing ever happened to you? How did you react? Did you start the game over, did you go back to playing another game (as I will be doing with FFXII), or did you lose all motivation in gaming for a short/long period of time?

It's story-time, bitches. Cool

DISCUSS.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

it has happened to me, on Lufia 2 acutally. I restarted. Went to bed. The next day my restarted file was gone and replaced by my old one. I was happy.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamez wrote:
it has happened to me, on Lufia 2 acutally. I restarted. Went to bed. The next day my restarted file was gone and replaced by my old one. I was happy.

Don't give me false hope like that. Mad

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I lend my Oot with a 100% save state to a friend. he seemed to have lost it and gave another Oot back to me. he managed to get... to the WATER TEMPLE Biting
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
I lend my Oot with a 100% save state to a friend. he seemed to have lost it and gave another Oot back to me. he managed to get... to the WATER TEMPLE Biting

One of my mates completed goldeneye. He did all the levels and unlocked all the cheats (no easy feat even today, and he did it when he was 13). We went over another kids house and played for hours before we went home. Later that night I got a call from him. The game had been wiped, months of effort gone.

By the next morning he had re-completed the game with almost al cheats unlocked. When we got to school the kid whos place we had been at told my mate that he had taken the kids copy by mistake. I have never seen him so happy lol Very Happy

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamez wrote:
psychokind wrote:

One of my mates completed goldeneye. He did all the levels and unlocked all the cheats (no easy feat even today, and he did it when he was 13). We went over another kids house and played for hours before we went home. Later that night I got a call from him. The game had been wiped, months of effort gone.

By the next morning he had re-completed the game with almost al cheats unlocked. When we got to school the kid whos place we had been at told my mate that he had taken the kids copy by mistake. I have never seen him so happy lol Very Happy

The only really hard cheat to get was Invincibility... and simply because you had to be perfect on everything you did, including a random encounter with Dr. Doak on the way to the end of the level. What was the cheat time, 2:05 I think? My record was 2:03... it was brutal whenever you'd get 2:06. -.-;

Deleted saves? Hm... oh yes. I remember when I was younger, I finally beat Ultimate Weapon on FFVIII, after having sacrificed my Laguna card for the 100 hero items, about 78 hours into the game. My brother, in his infinite wisdom, deleted that save off of our shared memory card. And for what, you may ask? A WCW wrestling game. -.-;

And Dead or Alive 4... upon getting my 60 gig harddrive upgrade, I lost my entirely completed save for DOA 4... including all characters and costumes unlocked. Total time? Probably 150 hours. That sucked.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, recently my memory card (which had several GC and Wii games on it) became corrupted, and I lost many games' worth of data.

Tales of Symphonia, Smash Bros. Melee, Super Mario Sunshine (though 1 file is still ok, and the others are actually labelled as "corrupted", or something), and many others. Some games survived, but most didn't.

So that was kind of a bitch. Meh/Worried

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger I had one of those huge memory cards for the PlayStation. Went in to continue on my save for Lunar II after beating one of the more difficult bosses to have my entire card corrupted. I don't think I touched the games that had corrupted data for a few years at least.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Sgt.Pepper1983
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 323

PostSgt.Pepper1983 Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to replace the battery in Circle of the Moon. I just did it last night so I'm still a little paranoid that the save won't be there when I turn it back on. The fact that it's the first time I've replaced the battery in a game sure as hell isn't helping.
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Quest 64 all day & night during christmas-hols, and it needed savings on the controller-pak. In the last 7/8 of the game, with all the spells maxed out, the controller-pak decided to go corrupt. Haven't touched the game since <.<

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: