TerraEarth Forums

TerraEarth: Beyond- What Platform Should We Use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Fan Made Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What RPG Maker Version should we use to develop TerraEarth Beyond
RPG Maker 2K
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
RPG Maker XP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
RPG Maker VX
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:58 pm   Post subject: TerraEarth: Beyond- What Platform Should We Use? Reply with quote

We should determine what platform should be used to develop TerraEarth: Beyond. Flamez says (and I agree) that in terms of design, RPG Maker 2K (and XP for that matter) offer more variety in Tile choices and higher sprite quality. I can go either way, since all the coding is essentially the same, so I will refrain from voting. What does my development team think we should use?

One thing we MUST CONSIDER is that XP will not work on Vista or Windows 7 and I imagine 2K has the same limitations.

[Edit: I have confirmed that 2K will only work on XP or lower... though there may be some roundabout way to do it, and the completed EXE files should work either way.]

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes to VX. It's what I learned on, and since I use Windows 7, the other two are pretty much out of the question for me anyway. Meh/Worried

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista/7 can use older programs by running it in a previous Windows version through a right click command. I honestly don't care since I'm not doing the coding part, but whatever might work best for the actual coding team would be my vote.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call VX just because it would be a lot more powerful than the others. Also, compatibility.
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:58 am   Post subject: Re: TerraEarth: Beyond- What Platform Should We Use? Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:

[Edit: I have confirmed that 2K will only work on XP or lower... though there may be some roundabout way to do it, and the completed EXE files should work either way.]

This is incorrect. I have RPG Maker 2k running on my Windows 7 machine with no issues. Do not base your votes on it not working because it does, and it runs dam well.

Codeing wise its pretty much the same in all versions unless your going into the very technical and mostly unsable sections of your own codeing.

The major differences between the versions are the Battle systems (I believe the three versions we are looking at have very similar systems while 2k3 had a compeletly different system) and art design. Personally I dont like the world and dunegon look of VX. 2K on the other hand (and maybe XP, I have never used the version) ability to change title sets makes for a far more asthetically pleasing look. Im also pretty sure there is still far more support for 2K due to its popularity years ago.

The biggest flaw with VX is the limited pallet. As the dunegone designer I will tell you right now that it will all look the same. There is going to be little variation and it will lead to a bland user experience from an asthertics point of view. My favorite part of VX are how amazing the sprites look and it does destroy the older default styles from 2k.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

@Flamez: My mistake, I did forget that my current computer is using Vista, not 7.

EDIT EDIT EDIT, STARTING POST OVER:

OKAY, FLAMEZ, I GOT THIS!!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

There's an App and Script called SwapXT that makes it SUPER EASY to swap out tilesets whenever you need! And it doesn't overwrite the base set on the maps you set it up on!

I put it in the Dropbox, so you can test it out, but seriously it works like a charm. If you're comfortable working with this, I highly recommend we use VX then. That solves the only major downfall of VX without a lot of work!

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Fan Made Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: