TerraEarth Forums

Using a converter to play Terranigma in North America?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mig-21
Level 2: Whisp

Gems 71

PostMig-21 Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:33 pm   Post subject: Using a converter to play Terranigma in North America? Reply with quote

I have a converter that enables me to play Japanese and PAL games on my North American SNES. So far, all of the games I have tried, PAL and Japanese, have worked...except for Terranigma. Instead, I get a screen that says "this game pak is not designed for your super famicon or snes".

So I wanted to know if anyone has used a converter to play Terranigma? Also, how can I play Terranigma on my snes besides doing surgery on it so that PAL games fit in there, and would that actually work?

I don't wanna miss out on this great game anymore; its just sitting on my dresser right now.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest thing to do would be to download an emulator and the ROM and play it on your PC. That's what I had to do.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
subjectnamehere
Level 6: Stone Golum

Level 6: Stone Golum

Gems 6,064

Postsubjectnamehere Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no. I played it on a PAL SNES because I'm Swedish~
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm thats odd... my friend has a converter, but it convers ntsc to pal. and that has worked, but only sometimes.

maybe try it again? try to clean the converter, maybe? or "clean", by blowing through it.

if that fails, theres always the emulator... the rom is on the TE main site
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, the question that gets so many people here (including myself!). Very Happy

You have to have a certain converter to play the game; specifically a Pro Action Reply 2 or 3. Others for whatever reason don't like to work for Terranigma. Of course, said converters are stupidly hard to find now. Sad I have to get myself a PAL SNES I think sometime in the future to play Terranigma.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pal SNES's looked alot better then their american counterparts anyway.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Mig-21

Gems 71

PostMig-21 Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamez wrote:
Pal SNES's looked alot better then their american counterparts anyway.

I have to agree, even the control pads look nicer in the PAL versions.

Thanks for the replies. It was hard enough to find the converter I do have, so I don't know when I'll be able to get my hands on one of those converters.

Maybe because Terranigma was one of the last games to be released for the SNES it had more up to date region lockout measures because my converter works perfectly fine with the rest of the Japanese and PAL games I've played on it, but not this one.

I really try to avoid using my computer for gaming and watching videos and stuff; I much prefer the console and TV experience.

So here is another question for you guys: what challenges would I face in trying to operate a PAL SNES here in North America?
polybob
Level 1: Huball

Level 1: Huball

Gems 16

Postpolybob Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:26 am   Post subject: Using a PAL SNES in North America Reply with quote

I've been trying to figure out what needs to be done to get a PAL Super Nintendo to work on in the NTSC world. Two things can stand in your way, first is that European power outlets operate with different plugs and voltages, and second is that the if the TV is not PAL compatible you are likely to have video problems

The first issue can probably be remedied by using the AC adapter from an original NES, the connectors and specs are similar enough that they will work

The second issue was a harder to find a fix, some people said if you don't use and RF cable you're good, some said that the RCA cable (the end connectors are Yellow, Red, & White) turned the picture black & white, some said the games moved too slow, or the picture didn't fill the screen. The surefire fix is using a PAL TV, but PAL to NTSC video converters exist, prices vary, I found some going for over $200 US and others for less than $10 US.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
Ahh, the question that gets so many people here (including myself!). Very Happy

You have to have a certain converter to play the game; specifically a Pro Action Reply 2 or 3. Others for whatever reason don't like to work for Terranigma. Of course, said converters are stupidly hard to find now. Sad I have to get myself a PAL SNES I think sometime in the future to play Terranigma.

You could just purchase a Reproduction cart of Terranigma... they cost roughly 50-100 bucks, but they function on an NTSC console. Expensive, yes, but given the fact you'll be paying more to get your hands on a PAL console, plus the already high cost of a TN cart, it might be another feasible option.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think given that he owns a copy of the game, he's perfectly within his rights to download a "backup" rom and emulate it. Not the same as playing it on the snes, but it's a start...
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 323

PostSgt.Pepper1983 Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If your pal copy doesn't work but you still insist on playing it on a snes you can go to gamereproductions.com for a ntsc cartridge. I've had mine for two or three years.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Terranigma had it's own unique lock-out chip. As ineriare said, you'll have to have the Pro Action Replay 2 or 3, but there is another device, the "Bumblebee" I believe, that also works. It's just as difficult to find, but it's at least another option.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt.Pepper1983 wrote:
If your pal copy doesn't work but you still insist on playing it on a snes you can go to gamereproductions.com for a ntsc cartridge. I've had mine for two or three years.

Unfortunately I believe he dropped it for the time being. I went to go see if he had a copy but he said ?parts" were running low and he had to "drop a few SNES games." Hopefully it comes back up soon, because I want one.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: