TerraEarth Forums

Surviving Sandy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 pm   Post subject: Surviving Sandy Reply with quote

I'm not sure how many of you were in the path of Hurricane Sandy- as I'm sure many of you heard, this "Frankenstorm" hit the east coast hard. I didn't have power until almost an hour ago. I'm personally fine- been a little cold without power or heat- fortunately there has been a very generous movement in Jersey, with food and supplies being offered to those in need.

The worst thing personally was both me and my roommates lost our cars- mine won't start and neither will his- but things look hopeful, my insurance should cover that right up.

The rest of the state didn't get off as lucky as me. My old town- quarter mile away- is covered in sand from the beach. Several houses are submerged under water. Two towns over, Union Beach, was nearly destroyed. Every house is under water. The amusement park in another nearby town, Keansburg, is destroyed. Seaside, where that terrible Jersey Shore show was filmed- is also destroyed. There was a rollercoaster on the pier that is now in the Ocean.

Why am I telling you this? If there is anyway you could help out- a donation, a prayer- something- because the people down here could really use anything they get. Last I heard- two days ago, death toll was around 25 people- and they haven't even started searching yet, as some houses are still underwater. I heard Connecuit got hit just as bad, if not worse.

Thank you all for anything you could do to help, and God bless.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not alone there brother. Virginia got hit pretty bad too, but it was weird. Where I personally am, all we got was some heavy rain and wind and like a dusting of snow. To our east, cities were flooded and without power. To our west, wind and 10 inches of snow, so bad that several cell towers went down in that area (and me being in Tech Support meant a fun couple of days).

I'm just counting my blessings that we weren't hit worse than we were and weren't directly in the storm's path. Hope things get better for you! Sad

Rest in peace, old avatar.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update to those of you who were concerned- I'm getting a car. My insurance paid me for the loss on the car, and I'm using the money to buy a car.

We got power back within a week and a half- still no heat. 40 and below days so it's been really cold, but my sister got me a small personal heater so it's not so bad. Been having issues with the property manager which I won't bother you with, suffice to say it's being taken care of.

I'm blessed with a really caring family, because the week after we got power I was sick as hell and several friends and family helped me by bringing me soup and drinks and medicine.

I took a trip around the towns nearby- I was truly blessed to move when I did. The two of the three houses I lived in the past 4 years are condemned and need to be destroyed. One of the houses I lived in basement was so flooded the water got to ground level.

My brother told me a pretty horrific story. A coworker of his was at her house, not really paying mind to anything. Several of her neighbors were packing up their stuff in moving vans, so she decided to leave. Her husband opted to stay in the event of looters. Sometime into the start of the storm, the water got into his house, so we went to the second story.

Not too long after, water began to get up there as well. He moved up into the attic, figuring he was safe. The water started getting up in there, so he went to the roof. As he stood outside beating beaten by powerful winds and rain, he felt the house shifting. He ran and jumped onto the next door neighbors house. He turned around to watch as his house started to collapse and float away. He felt the same thing happening to the house he jumped to, so he jumped to another roof. The second house floated away.

All said, he jumped to three roofs before finally being able to jump to dry land and run off. All four houses were taken away by the flood waters. Its amazing what others have gone through, and I am so lucky that nothing worse happened to me, considering I'm two blocks from the beach. I'm counting my blessings that I got through this relatively unscathed.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: