TerraEarth Forums

What is the longest JRPG?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brutus
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems -66

PostBrutus Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 pm   Post subject: What is the longest JRPG? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy 6 is near the top, if you complete all of the subquests, which aren't really part of the main plot or necessary to complete it. I'm pretty sure the later FF's aren't longer, though i might be wrong.

For that matter, i don't know if there's any disc-era games that are longer, i get the impression most of them are shorter and easier (though certianly have more visuals and scenes crammed into it) but i might be wrong for some cases.

If we count LINEAR plot only, Tales of Phantasia has to be the longest i've played and finished personally, though maybe i just got the impression it was long because it got so damn boring Biting
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

When I finally beat Persona 3 FES, my total time was like 130 hours. Between the extra stuff you can do between classes and then Tartarus exploration, you can clock in 90+ hours easily. The last boss was hard as balls, and apparently will ALWAYS be hard as balls unless you have some of the right SUPER PERSONA or something. I didn't. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If you count ALL sidequests, I'd guess that a lot of Final Fantasy games between 6 to 9 would be up there. The PSX ones have at least 30 hours of main gameplay, and plenty of random sidequests.

Star Ocean games are also very sidequest-rich, and I found our after I finished SO1 that I hadn't even found a quarter of the characters (I did only spend 20ish hours on it though), let alone found quests associated with characters and combinations of characters.

Depending on how loose your definition of "sidequest" is, I'd even put Pokemon up there. Finishing all the random things to do, fighting all trainers, completing the national dex? I tried that on Pokemon Diamond, and after 160 hours I was still down at least 50 of the bastards. Plus the Battle Frontier challenges are almost unending too, and require a good amount of preparation to succeed.
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my friends just put over 800 hours in White Knight Chronicles. Granted, it was mostly the online mode, but it did take them that long to get all the items and trophies the game has to offer.

I also seem to remember Star Ocean 3 being the longest JRPG ever when it released.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: