TerraEarth Forums

Top Ten Game Soundtracks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:38 am   Post subject: Top Ten Game Soundtracks Reply with quote

A list that I'm surprised I've never done before. Which games had the best overall soundtrack? Which scores live longest in our memories, defined the games that we played and whose tunes will likely be our children's lullabies?

Same rules as I've had with other similar lists, one game per franchise, etc etc.

10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

There are some who may yet crucify me for putting Skyrim this low on the list. But remember, we're talking specifically about the soundtrack. And while it has probably the best game main theme in recent history Dragonborn, the rest of the soundtrack doesn't have many catchy or memorable tunes.

However, to its credit, that wasn't the point of the soundtrack in Skyrim. It wasn't meant to have a variety of lasting themes for each moment but the entire score as a whole (as it is with many Elder Scrolls games) was meant to be a symphonic ambiance for the game.

We play the game and the score responds actively to the scene, meaning that we are never out of tune with the circumstances. This, as a result, doesn't mean we relive the same songs over and over again, but constantly are given something fresh. The score can hardly be penalized for that, but still I rate Skyrim as the number 10 spot.

9. Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Mad that Skyrim got beaten out by a Sega Genesis game? Name three titles of songs in Skyrim. Now name three titles of songs from Sonic The Hedgehod 2.

You were thinking of this, this and this.

You're welcome.

For the record, I was torn between the soundtrack from this, Sonic Adventure 2 and the original. While the original had some great tracks to be sure it didn't quite meet the bar of Sonic 2. And Sonic Adventure 2 is... well it's a mixed bag. If it weren't for the Tails and Knuckles stage tracks then I might have rated it higher. Sonic 2 just had a perfectly scored memorable soundtrack that didn't skimp or cut corners.

8. Kingdom Hearts

What? You're putting Kingdom Hearts and NOT Kingdom Hearts 2? Well while the battle music in Kingdom Hearts 2 is very nice I feel like some of the tracks in the second one were a little too repetitive. It's nice to have a recurring motif, but I feel like they dragged this a little too far and the game suffers from an expansive library of music which, while not bad, doesn't invite the same fond memories as the original.

And if nostalgia isn't a valid reason enough for you, how about because Kingdom Hearts 2 included "Swim This Way"? That instantly throws it off the list. Also some of the best tracks from 1 were ripped right into 2 so that's not fair. Afterall we could honestly judge Kingdom Hearts by the first few songs that play in the game. Musically it appeals to everbody.

For your longtime SQUARE fans there is a beautiful piano prelude Dearly Beloved.

For your, shall we say, Rainichan demographic we've got an above average JPOP song as our opening cutscene Hikari which later gets a beautiful orchestrated version which sounds on paper like it shouldn't work, but it does (but I digress).

For the person who wants a deep and epic storyline, the next track acts as a wonderful bit of foreshadowing Dive Into The Heart -Destati- .

And then to remind us that this is a family game, a nice kid friendly island theme is the first place we visit with Destiny Islands.

I've ranted enough. I think you get the picture. Moving on.

7. Super Mario Brothers

I was originally going to make Super Mario 64 the contender in this spot. I had written about a paragraph defending the decision when something hit me. "When you think about Mario, what's the first damn thing that comes to your mind?"

This.

Yes, Admittedly the Super Mario Brothers soundtrack consists of about six songs, but those six songs have formed the basis for every other mario soundtrack since. That theme is the most recognized video game theme song of all time for crying out loud!

And let's not forget it was Shigeru Miyamoto himself who originally came up with that theme. If the man who arguably saved video games thinks it's good, then so should you!

Hey it's way better than this!

6. Pokemon Red & Blue

Come on, admit it. You played these games when you were a kid. And you play them now. And while you may have moved onto the newer generations, the original gameboy games are the themes you know and love.

The Opening Theme got your little 8 year old self excited. This was the moment you were like:

I'M GONNA BE A POKEMON MASTER!!!!

One of my favorite tracks in the game is the Gym Leader Battle. I would literally leave my gameboy playing the theme instead of battling because it was so awesome. This song takes motifs from the other battle themes but spins them in a triumphant, almost gladiatorial way. From Brock to Giovanni, when I heard this theme, I knew shit just got real!

And an odd one to end on, but this is true. This was the first Gameboy song that I actually found legitimately creepy. Who can forget Lavendar Town. That'll scare the crap out of you as a kid!

5. Donkey Kong Country

Look, I'm not going to really go in depth on this game. I just want to share with you these.

Main Theme
Aquatic Ambience
Ice Cave Chant
Fear Factory

AND OF COURSE: DK Island Swing

Okay. Listen to them all? Okay. Now YOU can tell ME why I put this at the number 5 spot.

Thes tracks are legendary, memorable, and incredible quality for SNES. I wouldn't be surprised to find these tracks in even an N64 or PSOne game! The variety, the attention to detail, and that's less than 1/6 of the soundtrack that I gave you!

Everybody brings up Gang Plank Galleon and it's cool (or should I say Kool) and all, but I think the song that proves this games worth as a soundtrack is actually the very moving end credits theme . I mean listen to how much effort and care is put into this ending theme! Simply amazing!

4. Wild Arms 3

Hey look, it's that game that Jason Tandro never shuts up about on another one of his lists! Well yes, Wild Arms 3 is once again on this list. But it had to be. The western aesthetic is carried out into musically so beautifully and while I called out Kingdom Hearts 2 for carrying a musical motif too far this game actually handled it well. It called back to the old western serials of the 60s and 70s as well as a modern touch.

Let's check out some of these tracks!

The Overture alone sets the mood and tone of the game. The whistle in the distance, the sound of a thunderstorm and train engine slowly builds the mood as a guitar wails. A harmonica lets out a strain backed up by a pan flute. A deep bass line hits as the train engine sounds. The brakes SCREECH and the percussion picks up. The guitar races along with your heart as a pizzicato string fills in the holes. This is the essence of western.

The World Map is another great example of this. The fact that the entire song is basically played on a guitar, banjo and whistle with some occasional additional instruments gives the impression of a small band traveling along the wasteland with the sound of nature chipping in as they travel through the wilds.

Crossfire Sequence, the theme that plays whenever you battle Janus is an example of the modern influences. This takes a western sound but as a definitively "action movie" turn with a heavy percussion and grinding bass line.

These are only a few of the great tracks in this game, so seriously this is a soundtrack you'll want to check out!

3. Chrono Trigger

Anybody who has played this game knows exactly what I'm talking about. The music really tells the story of this game. If you have the soundtrack, you don't need the game. Listen to it all the way through and you can almost tell what happens. Each major point is so musically distinct it hits you hard.

For instance the main prelude of the game To Dear Friends is a wonderfully soothing piece and it brings about all your memories of the game if you've played it. If you haven't, it has the same stirring effect. Familiar, somehow.

Then you launch into the main Chrono Trigger theme which mixes the sounds of a far off future and keen past as though the adventure themes of a science fiction story and medieval fantasy have blended.

And need I even mention the character specific themes. I think it's universally accepted that everybody's favorite theme is Frog's Theme, which i think perfectly sums up his character. Strong, honorbale, loyal and dedicated are played out in a military cadence with a solitary flute.

Again, this is a soundtrack you just need to check out.

2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I'll admit, I was kind of looking for which game people would hate me the least for selecting, but Ocarina of Time probably does have the greatest overall soundtrack, with maybe Link To The Past or Wind Waker giving it the biggest run for its money.

I mean the game was centered around music! A theme that worked out so good for Zelda that they did the exact same thing for the next 6 games! (save Minish Cap).

For starters, the game reinvented the Hyrule Field theme, and frankly, I think I like this a bit better than the original Legend of Zelda theme. It captures that same sense of adventure, even pays nod to the original theme in a few bars, but still makes it fresh and exciting.

And of course there is an amazing update to the Zelda's Lullaby theme.

If I had to choose a favorite track, it's probably Gerudo Valley. This track was unlike anything we'd heard in a Zelda game up to this point and there is such artistry in the guitar work. It's almost like the song is daring you to call it a cookier cutter video game track.

And finally, I have to show it: Ganondorf's Theme. How can something so simple be so menacing? I don't know, but Koji Kondo found a way.

Without a doubt, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time had a phenomenal soundtrack.

So what could possibly beat out Zelda?

1. Final Fantasy 6

Okay, stop groaning. Yes, I am a Final Fantasy fanboy. Yes, I rant on too much about Final Fantasy. And even if you are a fanboy too you might be saying "why not put Final Fantasy 1-5 or 8-XIII? Or 7 (most likely)?}"

To you people, I say, shut up and listen to this soundtrack. I mean go out, acquire the soundtrack and listen to every... single... track....

There is not a goddamn weak link in the entire soundtrack from start to finish. They did everything with this soundtrack perfect.

Opening Theme
World Map Theme
Boss Theme
Forever Rachel
Locke's Theme
Empire's Theme
Kefka's Theme

And I have to stop myself now, but there are dozens of more songs I want to put on there! I mean seriously asking me to choose a favorite song is practically impossible because I love them all so much.

And to end this let's not forget that this game had probably the best battle theme in Final Fantasy history for its end game and followed it up with the best ending credits song of ANY Video Game ever!

Dancing Mad

Ending Credits, Part 1
Ending Credits, Part 2

So yeah, this game soundtrack is easily the best entire soundtrack in video game history and it lives on in the memories of any who have played it. Nobuo Uematsu's finest work!
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Sonic 2 - you got my blood boiling with the Chemical Plant Zone Laughing It's one of those levels I get really angry at every time, actually.

Though I'll have to debate FF6 having the best soundtrack. It's fantastic, but not my absolute favourite.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
Re: Sonic 2 - you got my blood boiling with the Chemical Plant Zone Laughing It's one of those levels I get really angry at every time, actually.

Though I'll have to debate FF6 having the best soundtrack. It's fantastic, but not my absolute favourite.

Well to each their own. Id like to see your list!
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your challenge, and I shall do so! Laughing

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
I see your challenge, and I shall do so! Laughing

AWESOMEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait!
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with a few of those... some others I simply haven't played. Donkey Kong Country, Pokemon... definitely.

I agree with Raini about FF6 - great soundtrack, but definitely not the best.
(And for the record, best Final Fantasy endgame battle theme goes to The Extreme, hands down Razz )

I'll put some thought into this and come up with a list of my own in a few days' time.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why i make these top 10 lists! I wanna see what you all think! 😄😄😄😄😄😄
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent game I played, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - Endless Frontier, had a kicking soundtrack. Specially the main character's theme song was kicking.
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, no love for the greatest game sound track of all time? The Ace Attorney games have by far the most impressive soundtrack in a series of games hands down.

For example -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR-EeLtAQWQ (game version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_k1rPDRv6M (orchestra)

and a combo video of some my favorites in ones -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb7jrb6l4MU (orchestra version)

and finally my all time favorite; the special blend mix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtIH2aGUQxI

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazermint wrote:
A recent game I played, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - Endless Frontier, had a kicking soundtrack. Specially the main character's theme song was kicking.

Yeeeeees, Endless Frontier has some good music!

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@Flamez: sadly ive never played Ace Attorney.

My friend says God of War deserved a mention, but i never played that either.
Al. I. Cuza
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 57

PostAl. I. Cuza Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of my favourite more recent games with great music:

Bastion
Hotline Miami
Super Meat Boy
Faster Than Light
Chtulhu Saves The World

Regarding ops list: I enjoy the Morrowing soundtrack more than the Skyrim one, can't say why. Also Terranigma is missing Razz

Edit: Also Mass Effect, some of the best recent music out there.

Edit2: The 2 now iconic ending songs from Portal 1&2 should also get mentioned.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So... Finally, I'm doing my list. I'm only going to do a Top 8, since I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to pin down the last two.

And now, we begin.

8. Pokemon Red / Blue

I'll admit, I never really played Pokemon games for their soundtrack, but occasionally there are some good songs. This game, however, has many.

From the intro track, to some of the towns, and who could forget? BATTLES!

There's also Lavender Town, but that one is downright creepy.

All in all, a very good soundtrack which doesnt make use of fancy effects, orchestrations or even instruments.

7. Grandia II

I really wanted to place this one higher on the list, but there are so many other amazing soundtracks out there. Each town has its own theme music, and some are really quite nice. Here's one.

And what about some happy music? Or something sad?

Just as an aside, the battle themes are also pretty good.

6. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Another classic game with a classic soundtrack. And since I'm overusing the word classic, here you go.

Overworld not your thing? Have some MOUNTAINS!

Probably my personal favourite from this soundtrack, though, is the Castle Theme

5. Terranigma

But of course, we all know this one. And probably expected it to show up sooner or later in the list, too.

In terms of outstanding tracks... Let's start from the beginning. Then, let's journey through the Underworld. I could go on and list almost every track from the game like this, but I'll instead leave with something sinister

4. Final Fantasy VIII

If not Terranigma, then something from the Final Fantasy series would have made it. And my selection from the series is... well, this one.

I'm going to do something unconventional, and lead with the final boss theme. It's easily one of my favourite video game songs, and it might actually be my outright favourite battle theme.

I'll step away from battle themes for a bit, and bring you a nice relaxing piece. That is, if relaxing inside a tomb is your thing. It could be, with this song.

Here's another nice relaxing piece. I couldn't think of a witty enough line to introduce it, so there.

Remember how I said I'd leave battle themes alone? I lied.

3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Ahh yes, good old Donkey Kong Country. Unfortunately, this is the one game of the trilogy I never had on the SNES - it just so happens to be my favourite in terms of both gamerplay and music.

Why, do you ask? Here's one reason. here's another, slightly faster one. The quality of the tracks in this game is just so high- and they all have that distinct ... monkeyness? about them. Always a bit upbeat, with hints of jungle drums. Or maybe I've just gone bananas and see monkeys whenever I hear the songs. Oh, the terrible puns are strong with this one.

And here's what I'd call the best track of the game: Stickerbrush Symphony.

2. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness

A game from what appears to be my childhood and no one else's - Warcraft 2. A very memorable soundtrack - maybe just because I played the hell out of this game as a kid. Oh, and the soundtrack is composed entirely in midi.

Here, have a slightly updated version of the intro track.

Join the army, they said. See the world, they said. I'd rather be sailing. Ahh, clicking on things was fun back then. Still is now, I guess.

One last thing - have an Orc Theme (2)

And so, we come to the final game. Some who know me would have already guessed what's up here... Without any further stalling (I'm not stalling, I swear!), here it is!

1. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals

Not quite sure how to start this off. With a nice song, I guess. Or maybe we should go exploring? Not a fan? let's kick some ass instead!

I've left two songs to last, and rightfully so. The theme of the final dungeon and...

For The Savior

Well, that's it. Hope you had fun.
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your choices ever. Lufia 2s soundtrack, perfect. 100% and utterly perfect.

I shall now submit my Ringtone as the greatest remix of videogame music ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dKDP-_ktZ0

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that this thread has been active for five months, I'll go ahead and contribute. Razz I really, really love video game music, so picking my Top 10 ended up being really unfair. As much as I love songs like "Star Theme" from Yoshi, "Star Maze" from Super Mario Land 2, and "Koopa Troopa Beach" from Super Mario Kart, I don't love those soundtracks as a whole quite as much as the following. This list is, of course, based on my current mood and is, therefore, not definitive:

I'M JUST THROWING TOGETHER A LIST FOR NOW, I'LL COME BACK AND ADD DESCRIPTIONS LATER Very Happy

10 ) Mega Man 9

09 ) Pokemon: Red, Green, and Blue Versions

08 ) Kirby's Adventure

07 ) Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

06 ) Katamari Damacy

05 ) Chrono Trigger

04 ) VVVVVV

03 ) Ys I & II Chronicles

02 ) Sonic Adventure 2

01 ) Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: