TerraEarth Forums

Top Ten Dungeon Themes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:08 am   Post subject: Top Ten Dungeon Themes Reply with quote

Here's an area that I've ignored. I've done main themes, battle themes and town themes, but I've completely ignored dungeon themes. The biggest problem with dungeon themes is a lot of games don't really go over-the-top to show off their musical prowess with their dungeon themes. Dungeon themes in a lot of games are fairly unremarkable.

But there are a few really great examples of how composers can really draw a player into their dungeon and set the mood with just music. And yes, spoiler, there are going to be a lot of Final Fantasy songs on here, but let's roll with it. I'm not doing my one game per franchise rule either.

Also I'll be including honorable mentions under each list, because usually if there's one good track, there's a couple of them. And finally I'm imposing this rule upon myself: NO FINAL DUNGEON THEMES. Pretty much every game has a kick ass final dungeon so no cheating there.

10. Sky Garden, Illusion of Gaia

Does I even need to explain why? Some of the most classic themes from my childhood come from Illusion of Gaia and Dungeon Themes are no exception. Sky Garden definitely takes the cake in this category.

2nd Place: Larai Cliff
3rd Place: Pyramid

9. Owl Forest, Dark Cloud

Yeah bet you weren't expecting that were you? I don't talk about Dark Cloud quite as often as other games which I have a gamer hardon for, but Dark Cloud definitely wins some big points for dungeon themes. Owl Forest is a great example of how you can make a nice, natural sounding dungeon theme.

2nd Place: Palace of the sun and moon
3rd Place: Ocean and Moon

8. Lunatic Pandora, Final Fantasy 8

Don't think too much about the humor that the FF8 track is #8 on the list. But while 8 overall was a bit more conservative with their soundtrack than other Final Fantasy titles (except maybe the very conservative FF12), it still allowed itself to show off musically and remind us that we're still in a fantasy story. This track is so jarring from the rest of the soundtrack that its very effective as a dungeon theme. I would actually go so far as to say I like this track better than the Final Dungeon theme.

2nd Place: The Only Other "Dungeon" Theme In The Game

7. Hyrule Castle Theme, Link To The Past

First hearing this theme made us little Zelda gamers realize what kind of an adventure we were in for even moreso than any of the other amazing moments in the early part of the game. This theme was so definitive that they constantly reference it in later games.

2nd Place: Sanctuary Dungeon, Zelda: Link To The Past

6. Cave of Trials, Star Ocean The Second Story

I know this is a post-story dungeon, but it's not the final dungeon, so we're good. It kicks ass too!

2nd Place: KA.MI.KA.ZE
3rd Place: Can't find a video but the Mountain Palace theme.

5. Devil's Lab, Final Fantasy 6

This is among my favorite tracks from Final Fantasy 6, and I think it does a great job of setting the tone for the dungeon it's heard in.

2nd Place: Phantom Forest AND Phantom Train
3rd Place: Serpent Trench

4. Greecliff, Terranigma

Yes, I know that's a remastered track, I don't care. And look at that, two Soul Blazer games on one list, how about that? But I really like what they did with Greecliff in this game. The awesome track alone is what made it one of the few Terranigma dungeons that I included in TerraEarth:Absolute.

2nd Place: Zue

3. Chasing the Black Caped Man, Final Fantasy 7

I know, groan. Moving on. Here's my 2nd and 3rd place picks.

2nd Place: Mako Reactor
3rd Place: Forested Temple

2. Face Shrine, Zelda: Link's Awakening

I had to throw in some handheld Zelda awesome, and I think that honestly the handheld Zelda games have better dungeon themes than the console versions, probably because the dungeons are such crucial parts to these games (as opposed to the consoles where there's usually a variety of sidequests or psuedo-dungeons)

2nd Place: Eagle's Tower
3rd Place: Turtle Rock

1. Every Dungeon Track In Chrono Trigger

What's that? Calling foul?! Well, I'm sorry. It's too hard. Literally at the very beginning of this list, I already knew that Chrono Trigger would be winning this list because, like I said about FF6 in a best overall soundtrack list, I can't find a weak link in this soundtrack.

At first I was like, oh obviously has to be: Tyrano Castle.

But then I was like, "but how can you ignore: Secret of the Forest".

And then I was like, well don't be an idiot and forget to mention: Remains of the Factory

And then of course there was Undersea Palace which if I had to choose a 1st Place Winner would probably take the cake for me. But seriously, every dungeon track is a work of art in this game. So yeah, let's just make it easy and call Chrono Trigger the undeniable winner of this category.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Star Ocean. I actually finished that dungeon. Only wanted the Silver Trumpet so I could get Claude to level 200+. And I did. The final boss was a pushover.

Anyway, my list. Let's start...

Aaand I've only got 5. Oh well.

5. Victory Road - Pokemon Ruby

Me, like a Pokemon song? Never!

4. Sylvain Castle - Terranigma

3. Hyrule Castle - Legend of Zelda- A Link To The Past

2. Find Your Way - Final Fantasy 8

1. The Last Duel - Lufia II: The Rise of the Sinistrals
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
Oh, Star Ocean. I actually finished that dungeon. Only wanted the Silver Trumpet so I could get Claude to level 200+. And I did. The final boss was a pushover.

3. Hyrule Castle - Legend of Zelda- A Link To The Past

2. Find Your Way - Final Fantasy 8

You and I seem very like-minded friend! Very Happy

I honestly wasn't too impressed by Silfain Castle's theme. I mean arranged it sounds really good, but in the version that the SNES did it was a little over-orchestrated and has a kind of hollow sound. Not like Greecliff which has a very defined and strong sound to it. But to each their own. I'll admit Silfain Castle has some pretty creepy parts.

And I knew your number 1 would be a Lufia II song! Cool

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: