TerraEarth Forums

Classical Music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:19 pm   Post subject: Classical Music Reply with quote

Classical music is great in a variety of scenarios, but it really depends on the era and the sound of the classical music. For instance those who rope Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Samuel Barber and Ravel together may as well be roping together Vanilla Ice, Eminem, The Beach Boys and Daft Punk.

So here's a few of my favorites:

Moonlight Sonata- Beethoven

Here's some Jason Tandro trivia for you as this is my absolute favorite piece of classical music. I think Ms. Raini would probably like this too as it is solely piano. Anybody who saw my film Room 333 will recognize this as the song I used as the theme for the piece. I find it equally beautiful and, in the right context, haunting somewhat. It is easy to see why Beethoven named it such.

1812 Overture- Tchaikovsky

Okay, overdone? Yes. Played way too frequently? Sure. But let's face it, even amongst people who don't really like classical music, I've let to meet somebody who didn't like, at the very least, the finale to the 1812 Overture. I mean, it has CANNONS for crying out loud. And my sister and I are, tomorrow, going to continue our usual July 4th tradition of driving around Walmart, blasting this song (at the finale) while waving American Flags and shouting "The British Are Coming, The British Are Coming!" Makes absolutely no sense as that's not the right time in american history and this song has nothing to do with America? We don't care, why should you?

Bolero- Ravel

So I'm basically listing off songs from my earlier paragraph. This will be the last one, aside from honorable mentions. The story with this song goes something like this. I discovered this piece in my late teens. I would go over to my friend Brendan's house, sleep overnight and his parents would play a classical music CD every morning, so I would repeatedly wake up to this song. It's a great song to wake up to, incidentally, as it slowly builds up and eventually gets nice and loud so it kind of lulls you out of sleep. Not the most complex piece of classical music, but one of my favorites.

Honorable Mentions: Samuel Barber- Adagio for Strings Op 11, Mozart- Requiem (The story behind this one is creepy. Mozart was writing this as he was dying, and it remained unfinished as a result...), Mozart- Turkish March, Gustav Mahler- Symphony #5 in C# Minor, Dvorak- New World Symphony (Part 1- 4th Movement)

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonlight Sonata is up there as one of my favourites, yes.

I've actually got a good collection of classical stuff I have on my external, let's see what I might be able to dig up:

Debussy - Clair de Lune

Debussy - The Girl With Flaxen Hair

Stravinsky - Rite of Spring (while not technically classical in the sense that it was done in 1913 for a ballet, it's still a pretty impressive piece and I really adore it.)

Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake (again for a ballet, but the entire ballet music is gorgeous. Fun fact: as a kid, my favourite game was Loom. It used music from Swan Lake as its music since everyone but the main character turns into swans at the beginning of the game and it has a lot of throwbacks to Swan Lake in it. A playlist of the soundtrack (including the CD-ROM version music I believe) can be found here.)

Vivaldi - The Four Seasons (probably no surprise.)

Bach - Air

Wagner - The Ride of the Valkyries (I'm sure this is no surprise either. And no, I've never seen Apocalypse Now so my love for it doesn't stem from that. The entire opera is pretty badass though.)

Korsakov - Flight of the Bumblebee (another ballet piece, but it's been one of my favourites since I was a kid.)

Saint-Saƫns - Danse macabre

Liszt - Reve D'Amour (pianoooooo)

Alternatively, I really enjoy Gregorian Chant as well. KINDA WEIRD I KNOW, but it's pretty awesome.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, Vivaldi...

I liked it when I was younger, but with the invention of cell phone ringbacks (where you hear music play while waiting for somebody to answer, if you don't know) I've gotten so sick of four seasons.

Particularly Spring. In fact my dad came up with lyrics for how he now feels about hearing that song:

I hate this dumb f-ing song,
how I hate this dumb f-ing song
how I hate this dumb f-ing song...

Etc, so really not lyrics, just timed chanting, and it syncs up well.

And oh yeah, Ride of the Valkyries. If you want some bad-ass sounding classical music, listen to some Wagner. One of these days when I have money and time I'll go listen to the Ring Cycle (Ring of the Nibelungen) in concert. Wagner was classical hardcore. He was like the death metal of classical music.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda glad I don't have to worry about that then Laughing that's one I don't mind, though I remember this with Vivaldi's Spring (nsfw for language with the F word) when I hear it.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: