TerraEarth Forums

Oops, must introduce myself!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geekgirl101
Level 3: Cadet

Gems 110

Postgeekgirl101 Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:41 pm   Post subject: Oops, must introduce myself! Reply with quote

How rude of me, I've been posting in different subforums and forgot to introduce myself first. I'm Melanie Jean Hoyle, 34 from UK. I'm a retro and MMORPG gaming addict since 1983. Brought up on the Spectrum 128k and moved onto video and console gaming and eventually MMORPGs.

I'm a big fan of non turn-based RPG retro games that were on the SNES, and also of the character Dizzy that was originally released on the retro systems like the Spectrum, C64 and Amstrad. Of the games I've played my most favourite were the Soul Blazer series, Secret of Mana series, and Secret of Evermore. I've started playing with E.V.O. Search for Eden on an emulator to see what it's like and so far quite liking it. Back on the NES I also liked Cosmic Spacehead which came with the game Fantastic Dizzy, and I can't remember what system it was on but I just loved Lemmings and watching them go splat. I also enjoyed Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Newzealand Story. I think those were on the SNES, I also played the Spectrum version of Newzealand Story and if you are into playing games retro style with the actual tape I'd highly advise against playing Newzealand Story on the Spectrum as it required you to rewind and fast-forward the tape halfway in order to load a few levels and it was a real ballache doing it.

So far in terms of MMORPGs I've had a shot at World of Warcraft, FFXI, FFXIV, SWTOR and Grand Fantasia. I gave up on World of Warcraft when it turned into a dull panda-fest with no skill required, and Grand Fantasia just didn't seem to appeal to me too much. For a free game it's not too bad, but there's too much encouragement on buying stuff with real money and much of the population is an average 12 years old. SWTOR is just a big disappointment and is like World of Warcraft in space. I still have a free account active there but I haven't logged into it in over a year, doubt I will in the near future.

I have a vast collection of old gaming systems upstairs just waiting to be properly housed instead of gathering dust on shelves, and a big collection of games, magazines and merchandise based on the character Dizzy. I also have my own arcade machine with every single arcade game created on it including Japanese games. Some are really dodgy, dirty Japanese lol.

I like to play around with website layouts and graphics from time to time. I wouldn't say I'm excellent in any of those areas but I do my best and aim for making sites that are both colourful, informative and readable, and maybe with a twist of humour added. I'm hoping next term I can get a spot in college for learning how to use photoshop since I've done much of my stuff in GIMP and it's nowhere near as clever as photoshop imo.

I love sci-fi and adventure, have a love for Michael Jackson, Beyonce, and Stefan Poiss (also known by his band names Mind.In.A.Box and THYX). I'm terribly fussy about who I like music style. For me an excellent musician is someone who not only sings well but believes in what they're singing and that the lyrics have meaning to them to encourage or lift up the person listening to them.

As for my general state, I don't have a job, I'm married to a software programmer, I am autistic but not like Rain Man style so I can still hold a decent conversation although I may slip into childlike mode so what I may say might sound odd for someone my age or I may accidentally use the wrong type of words, please don't be offended if I say something in the wrong manner as I don't intend to be rude.
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Well, it definitely sounds like you'll fit in here. And all the new activity... maybe you'll lure some of our old lurkers out of hiding Razz

I'm more of a RPG gamer myself, but I also play LoL. Haven't tried any MMOs outside Runescape, but our Kween is making a very good case for FFIV.

So... yeah, welcome and have fun!
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeeexcellent, I'll get people playing A Realm Reborn with me... Evil or Very Mad (I should post more screens that I have too, though Phase 3 of beta just ended so character data was wiped, sadly. I'll start all of them anew once Phase 4 hits!)

Anyway, welcome! It was a little bit of a shock to see more blue tiles than orange when I refreshed the page. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
Welcome! Well, it definitely sounds like you'll fit in here. And all the new activity... maybe you'll lure some of our old lurkers out of hiding Razz

I'm more of a RPG gamer myself, but I also play LoL. Haven't tried any MMOs outside Runescape, but our Kween is making a very good case for FFIV.

play eu west! i show you my silver 3 power Very Happy
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the boards. You've come to the right place... there's a whole bunch of fantastic people on these boards, past and present always looking to talk and be zany and stuff.

Just do yourself a favor... do not cross the kween. She will murderlize you to death. For realsies.

I may have said too much all ready. Scared
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
geekgirl101

Gems 110

Postgeekgirl101 Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
Eeeexcellent, I'll get people playing A Realm Reborn with me... Evil or Very Mad (I should post more screens that I have too, though Phase 3 of beta just ended so character data was wiped, sadly. I'll start all of them anew once Phase 4 hits!)

Anyway, welcome! It was a little bit of a shock to see more blue tiles than orange when I refreshed the page. Very Happy

Cool, I saw your screenshots of your characters in FFXIV. I was contemplating whether to start on a EU server again in phase 4 but it seems Americans just pick any server whether it's US or EU so I may end up on a US one if the rest of my FFXI ls pals choose a US server.
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our little corner of the internets; Enjoy you stay!

Also, if we had a best Avatar Picture contest you would win hands down Very Happy

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave for a week, and come back to a surge of activity. I suppose this is your doing?

AWESOME. Cool Guy

Welcome, and do stick around!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't properly welcomed you! Welcome to TerraEarth. We are kind of just general nerddom around here so you'll fit right in!

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

geekgirl101 wrote:
inferiare wrote:

Cool, I saw your screenshots of your characters in FFXIV. I was contemplating whether to start on a EU server again in phase 4 but it seems Americans just pick any server whether it's US or EU so I may end up on a US one if the rest of my FFXI ls pals choose a US server.

If they've got friends in the EU areas (most of the US servers are pretty full even on the beta) kinda makes sense to me; I know of a few people who have done the same who live in the UK and were playing on a US server with friends. A lot of the EU servers are US servers too.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
EverPhoenix wrote:

play eu west! i show you my silver 3 power Very Happy

I only just hit 30, unranked yet. Will see where I end up Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: