TerraEarth Forums

Is Chris Hansen A Vigilante?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:41 pm   Post subject: Is Chris Hansen A Vigilante? Reply with quote

Okay, we all know about To Catch A Predator. But it got me thinking. Does Chris Hansen really have the right to be doing that stuff? He works in tandem with Perverted Justice, which could not be more perfectly named as they pervert justice by essentially taking the law into their own hands in their methods to hunt these guys down.

And then there are scenes like This

Now that being said, I have to be perfectly honest and say that I don't particularly care that there are a few less child molesters in the world. But do the ends justify the means?

I also found
this (although apparently this actually isn't To Catch A Predator. Not sure what this is. All I have to say is 0:36 is awesome. The dispatcher saved that cop's life.)

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

can't watch the video at work, but overall the idea from chris hansen is pretty good as long as he stays in legal grey areas.

just on saturday i was on a towns festival when my friend showed me a guy from his hometown. he looked kinda childish, skinny and a bit retarded.
he told me the guy was recently beaten up by a father of a 11 year old boy he wanted to meet at a train station. he got kicked out of a soccer team as the trainer for the childrens team, because he tried to "seduce" some boys. he got caught chatting with little boys over the internet trying too meet them.

this guy is a freely walking ticking time bomb. there is no real way to constrain him in germany. if we had someone like chris hansen i would have called him to give him the lunatics name and adress the second i heard that story.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It... kind of depends. Like, I'm glad for the sort of things that he's doing? Since I know most undercover cops don't do this, and while it's the law to have any known sexual predators register their new address and they pretty much have to tell their neighbors "Hi, keep your kids away from me because I'd like to bring them into my house and do things, I"m a sex predator!" not... all of them are going to.

Of course, I also believe that their jail sentences should be a hell of a lot longer than they usually are (like 1-2 years WHOOP DE DOO) because of their crimes, but lol when is that going to change?

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry about that though because "Sex Offender" is way too broad a term in this country. Teens who have sex and get a statutory rape charge or people who visit prostitutes are being shuffled into the same deck with rapists and child molestors.

Then when some overzealous vigilante decides to take the law into his or her own hands and starts using this list as a hunting guide (which there have been numerous documented instances of) they could wind up killing people who committed (in my personal opinion) a pretty harmless crime.

And then you've got these legion of morality douchebags who continue to harass these people after they have served their time. I'm no fan of child molestors or rapists, but I also believe that under the right set of circumstances a few of them CAN be rehabilitated; rare though it may be.

While I'll admit that I've often had fantasies of going vigilante on certain people, I will be the first to admit that it is not the job of Joe Citizen to go seeking "justice" against other people who have already served their sentence, bullshit though some of these sentences may be (5 years for child molestation? REALLY????)

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You get more time in jail for dealing pot, stealing music or being a hacker, than you do for kidnapping or rape. What the hell happened the US justice system? We're so focused on nailing digital thieves or pot heads than we are with real monsters who deserve to go to prison, the rapists and murderers and what have you. It's insanity to see how different less heinous crimes are judged far more harshly.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
You get more time in jail for dealing pot, stealing music or being a hacker, than you do for kidnapping or rape. What the hell happened the US justice system? We're so focused on nailing digital thieves or pot heads than we are with real monsters who deserve to go to prison, the rapists and murderers and what have you. It's insanity to see how different less heinous crimes are judged far more harshly.

And there is the true nature of our justice system. Whch of the above crimes hurt the US's finances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: