TerraEarth Forums

Top Ten Final Fantasys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:30 pm   Post subject: Top Ten Final Fantasys Reply with quote

Okay, this is one that I've wanted to do for a long time and let me explain to you that it is impossible to make an objective list of which ones are the best. If we break down each of these games into each individual category the results are wildly different. And everybody will respond to each game differently and enjoy different things about them. Like Zelda, each Final Fantasy is very unique.

So let's clear the air right now. These are organized by what I find to be the most enjoyable.

10. Final Fantasy IV

This should tell you how tough this list was when Final Fantasy IV barely makes the list. It is a fantastic game, especially for its time, the music is extraordinary, and it has a really good story. I also like that it had multiple world maps and even a trip to the moon which I felt was really awesome for a fantasy game.

The only thing that bugged me was that it was hard to keep me interested after the like twentieth party change and the endgame was pretty challenging. Great for a one time playthrough but I didn't really care for a replay.

9. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Hey, I said this was my list. And I really enjoyed the conclusion to the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy. The action- rpg element was awesome, and I really enjoyed the much maligned time element. It would have been insufferable if not for Chronostasis and the New Game + feature which were appreciated. I also really liked how while there were only a few areas, they were highly detailed with almost every person having their own unique quest ark.

That said, it was a short game, pretty hard when you were starting out, and yeah there were only a few areas. A good game overall, but pretty weak for a Final Fantasy.

8. Final Fantasy IX

This was another one where the game is perfect for a one-time playthrough but doesn't lend itself well to replaying. I have beaten it once and have never been able to get very far in a replay. Even though it takes the gameplay of classic final fantasy and polishes it to a mirror sheen and even thought the music, world map and characters are all perfect, there's just something that keeps me from enjoying it as much as I should. Still, overall, it's a fantastic game.

7. Final Fantasy X-2

This game has a horrible storyline, obnoxious characters, and only okay music. The voice acting makes me want to bash my head in. Why is it higher than three other, far better Final Fantasys?

No, it's not boobies. The gameplay. I'm sorry, but it is truly amazing. They take the job system and make it work incredibly well to the point where I love each fight that I get into. The world is also incredibly immersive and I love that each area has its own storyline which gets finished over 5 chapters. The abundance of minigames are also incredible too. I'm sorry, it's maybe not the best Final Fantasy but it is so fun.

6. Final Fantasy V

And speaking of the Job System, here is its birthplace and one of my favorite Final Fantasys. The storyline is amazing, the music is incredible, standard Final Fantasy falderal. The things that really push it high on the list for me are the Job System, the variety of worlds and the submarine, which was awesome.

Not much to say on this one. It was just really cool is all. Oh, one more thing. First Final Fantasy ever to feature a long-term party members death. So yeah, fun.

5. Final Fantasy XIII-2

Don't worry, XIII is nowhere on this list, but the two sequels were really good games. I've already done a full gush on this site about XIII-2 so I will keep it brief. Great music, I love the combat system and the time travel mechanics and story are among the best.

4. Final Fantasy X

Yeah, I know, Tidus is annoying, and my friends really hate this one, but I defend it. The storyline is great, the combat is pretty cool, and even though it is kind of "baby's first final fantasy-y" I think its a nice game that is really easy to pick up and play. The introduction to voice acting is a bit shaky yes, but still it was a big leap forward. And as I've mentioned I love the Blitzball game.

3. Final Fantasy VII

Yeah, this doesn't need any explanation. Music, storyline, characters, gameplay, world. VII is widely regarded as perhaps one of the greatest RPGs ever made. Too bad the compilation kind of whored it out to the point where it is now kind of maligned.

2. Final Fantasy VI

This one owns my childhood and has a soundtrack which I will never forget. The storyline is one of the best and if this were a strictly objective list, this game would be at the number one. Amongst the Final Fantasy fandom, either VII or this game hold the top seat. The final 2D game and the one that pushed what could be done with sprites to the absolute most, it is no doubt that this is a high-runner in the genre and one of the best video games ever made.

1. Final Fantasy VIII

I got nothing to apologize for. Haters gonna hate. This is often maligned as the black sheep of the franchise, but frankly, I feel like as far as storyline and immersion in a world goes this game did everything right. Yes, I know, the Junction system was exploitable to the point of being broken, but it was still awesome.

For a full recap of my opinion we actually did a Clan Cur Podcast on this which can be found here.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My Final Fantasy quest has been slow but, out of all the FF's I've played/sampled, VIII is still my favorite. There are a lot of people that refuse to see how good of a game it is because of this ridiculous preconceived notion that VII is the end all, be all of gaming.

While I won't take that away from them, the game is still very choppy and admittedly unfinished, and designed for a completely different console. VIII took full advantage of the Playstations capabilities and, dare I say, the FMV sequences still look fantastic today, even after all these years.

I will admit that the story is a little confusing, and the junction system can take some getting used to, but in a way it's almost a supply rationing system; do you want to use that Ultima spell, or do you prefer having a perfect attack rating? Adds a bit more depth to the proceeding, and I love the game wholeheartedly for it.

IF only people would stop the "remake VII" campaign and jump on a better "remake VIII" the world would be a much happier place.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

VIII is definitely the top of my list. In terms of the other games... X-2 did have an amazing engine (the fluid job system and oversouled monsters) but had an awful story. I guess I would have to rate the games on each of several criteria and combine them for a collective result. So... Yeah, why not.

Of the Final Fantasy games I have played, using arbitrary (approximately equivalent) ratings out of 10...

Final Fantasy
Story - 3
Engine - 4
Characters - 1
World - 1

Final Fantasy 3
Story - 5
Engine - 2
Characters - 4
World - 1

Final Fantasy 4
Story - 8
Engine - 5
Characters - 7
World - 6

Final Fantasy 5
Story - 7
Engine - 8
Characters - 5
World - 8

Final Fantasy 6
Story - 8
Engine - 6
Characters - 7
World - 8

Final Fantasy 7
Story - 7
Engine - 8
Characters - 7
World - 8

Final Fantasy 8
Story - 9
Engine - 9
Characters - 9
World - 9

Final Fantasy 9
Story - 8
Engine - 6
Characters - 9
World - 9

Final Fantasy X
Story - 7
Engine - 8
Characters - 7
World - 6

Final Fantasy X-2
Story - 4
Engine - 9
Characters - 6
World - 6

Final Fantasy 12
Story - 6
Engine - 8
Characters - 7
World - 7

So, in order:

1. Final Fantasy 8
2. Final Fantasy 9
3. Final Fantasy 7
4. Final Fantasy 6
5. Final Fantasy 10
6. Final Fantasy 5
7. Final Fantasy 12
8. Final Fantasy 4
9. Final Fantasy 10-2
10. Final Fantasy 3
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In all technicality, FF3 (the real one, the one we had on DS here) was the first to introduce the job class system. 5 expanded on it and made it awesome. I think that's the only thing that caught my eye that was incorrect-ish.

That aside, X-2's story wasn't terrible for me; it gave a sense of closure that I really liked. ...up until the godawful "these cannot be canon stories they read like bad fanfics" novels came along (seriously: Tidus kills himself by accident because he sees something that looks like a blitzball, kicks it, and it's REALLY A BOMB it's pretty terrible.)

I guess in my sense, since I've played the MMOs as well, I could grade those in along with a list. I don't think I could ever grade music though; music really sets everything up and I really enjoy all the music everywhere.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Music is definitely an important element. Being a huge fan of Nobuo Uematsu, and not being able to name a single noteworthy piece from 1-3, X-2 or 12, I obviously prefer the PS1 games. (FF6 had some epic tunes but overall FF8 wins that hands down as well).

I didn't grade FF14 on purpose since it is a different style of game entirely. And I hated FFX-2's story, I was perfectly content with the state of FFX's ending and to be completely honest, seeing the best ending for FFX-2 just made me scream a loud and resounding "bullshit"
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazashi Hamauzu is growing on me. But Uematsu is the Sensei.

Also... I demand elaboration, Raini. Novels??? What? What? Why have I not heard... What???

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. They were released not long ago. Here's one of them, the other was an audio drama on FFXHD. Can't find a link for a translation, but there you go.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I only played 3-6 :O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: