TerraEarth Forums

Games That Give You The Nostalgic Fuzzies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raylazor
Level 2: Whisp

Gems 83

PostRaylazor Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:51 am   Post subject: Games That Give You The Nostalgic Fuzzies? Reply with quote

As the title suggests, what games gives you a strong sense of nostalgia?

I got myself some:

GunZ The Duel: Flapping a sword about in a gothic/matrix feel game. Lots of times where my friends got me into online gaming, as well as doing bossing runs and just having a grand old time shooting at things.

MapleStory: Built a lot of memories here, only old screenshots do it for me though, a lot of the game has been 'updated' for the worse in my opinion. A lot of the nostalgia comes from meeting people a discovering this huge world.

Paper Mario: TTYD: I still regard this as the best game ever. IT had the perfect blend of RPG, action, humour. Reminds me a lot about the first time as a kid playing a story-driven game.

Battle City: A Tank-driving game for the NES. I enjoy the simple action from the game. It also reminded me of simpler times when my mom and I would sit around and just play the NES daily together.

So what are your picks? Let me know, I'm curious.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul Blazer. It was a game I rented multiple times and fell in love with. To this day I can pick up and play it and not get bored.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Arms. Final Fantasy 8. Klonoa 1+2. Super Mario RPG. Quest 64. Mischief Makers.

...great, now I'm going to have to pull these out and play them.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
DeltaDude

Gems 36

PostDeltaDude Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma and Lufia.

Since I finished Terranigma years ago, I still get that "That was deep" feeling... Eek!
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My Top Five always give me the most feels:

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Illusion of Gaia
King's Quest VI
Super Mario World
Super Bomberman

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now that I'm more awake (Not really) I got a few more that do.

Fester's Quest- sadly one of three NES games I had as a child. I played the hell out of this. It's not good, but I beat it more times than I can tell.

Dragon Warrior- another game I had from the beginning of my NES days. I still love this game as simple and clunky as it is. So many memories of adventure and exploring.

Friday the 13th: Another oddball NES game. Being a horror movie guy, I got this of course, and as many people complain it's bad, it's due to the ridiculous difficulty if you don't know what you're doing. I beat this game once in the twenty years I've owned it- just once- about two years ago on a fluke.

Super Mario Bros. 3- I'll never forget the first time I beat it. I sadly had to "cheat" kind of- I got the cloud item that lets you skip over levels, and I got as far into the last world as I knew I could, and skipped all the way to Bowser's Castle- and beat it my first try. That was a good day.

Legend of Zelda- another great one. In fact, LttP, OoT are among my favorite games ever.

Final Fantasy 8- I've played a few of them (7, 9, Mystic Quest ::shudder:Smile
but this one was my favorite. It's sort of steam punk which is something I'm not entirely a fan of, but it works for this sort of in the past with future technology motif. Everyone says parts are convoluted and the magic junction system sucks... but I don't really see much of a difference between that and the materia system.

I'll wrap this up before I continue rambling, but a few other notable mentions include Batman: The Video Game, Guardian Legend (all time favorite game) A Nightmare On Elm Street, Fallout 3.... the list never ends.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Fazermint
Shameless Pirate

Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 712

PostFazermint Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

NES: Solar Jetman, Snake Rattle 'n Roll, Mega Man 2, Bubble Bobble
SNES: DKC series, Super Castlevania 4, Tetris Attack, Yoshi's Island
PS1: FF7, Ape Escape

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
Final Fantasy 8- I've played a few of them (7, 9, Mystic Quest ::shudder:Smile

Funny you should mention Mystic Quest. Everybody hates this game. I actually found it quite enjoyable at the time. Despite being a terribly easy and dumbed down RPG, I liked it because of the graphics. It's way better looking than FF4 - 6. Since we see the front-side of enemies, they are much more detailed. That, and the monsters having different images depending on how much health they had lost, was a great feature that I'm surprised was not carried over to subsequent games. I know I'm a minority in this.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Terranigma, Grandia 2, Final Fantasy 8.
To a lesser extent Lufia 2.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Terranigma, Secret of Mana 2 and Chrono Cross. Seeing old screenshots of WoW Vanilla could already be counted as a nostalgic feeling too Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: