TerraEarth Forums

Addition Of A Chatbox?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Quick Vote: Add Chatbox?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Raylazor
Level 2: Whisp

Gems 83

PostRaylazor Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:47 am   Post subject: Addition Of A Chatbox? Reply with quote

I occasionally dip into another unnamed community. The chatbox addition on their website allows partners of their community to quickly send and receive messages.

The question is: If we could, SHOULD we get a chatbox?

I believe it would result in much faster communication within the TerraEarth community, but it might impact the quality and quantity of regular forum posts.

Thoughts?
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us are pretty quiet and mostly lurk - which of course does nothing for actual posting Mad - so I'm not sure if it would sit and get spammed by spambots, or if it would actually see use, sadly.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Raylazor

Gems 83

PostRaylazor Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
Most of us are pretty quiet and mostly lurk - which of course does nothing for actual posting Mad - so I'm not sure if it would sit and get spammed by spambots, or if it would actually see use, sadly.

Spambots? Does TerraEarth have a bot issue that I don't know of? In terms of the other community, I see no spam bots whatsoever, and they used to host various video-game servers.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the spambots Sad
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not a spambot problem at the moment, mainly because I have new membership on lockdown. However, if you don't have to be a member to use the chatbox, there's where the problem would come in. That "Most users online" thing at the bottom of the forums? I think those 70 users at once were anonymous spambots trying to post threads (which, you can't do with the exception of Site Questions.)

So it's a problem, just one that's controlled at the moment when it comes to user accounts.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Raylazor

Gems 83

PostRaylazor Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
There's not a spambot problem at the moment, mainly because I have new membership on lockdown. However, if you don't have to be a member to use the chatbox, there's where the problem would come in. That "Most users online" thing at the bottom of the forums? I think those 70 users at once were anonymous spambots trying to post threads (which, you can't do with the exception of Site Questions.)

So it's a problem, just one that's controlled at the moment when it comes to user accounts.

Oh no, definitely make the chatbox members only. Since I can post links now, here's an example for how it would look like: http://prntscr.com/5yfcmt
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would be too bad of an idea, assuming Boxxle felt like implementing it. I feel like after the redesign, he kind of decided he was done with changing the site for a good while. Then again, it HAS been like, four years since then.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
gw8t3st
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 1,046

Postgw8t3st Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have a chatbox... no one ever used it.
eFlare
Level 12: Soul Knight

Administrator

Gems 5,813

PosteFlare Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

gw8t3st wrote:
We used to have a chatbox... no one ever used it.

Those were the days

But, on topic, we do have a general "lurking" community, for which a chat will not really be used, as we've experienced with past incarnations of the site. Added to the timezone problem, not everybody is online at the same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: