TerraEarth Forums

Soul Blazer Translation Notes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Limne
Level 2: Whisp

Level 2: Whisp

Gems 119

PostLimne Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:33 am   Post subject: Re-Translation Work Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm currently working with Denim to re-translate Soul Blazer. I don't suppose anyone managed to snag Shiva Indis' work while he had it available, did they? I'd love to pick his brains if anyone here knows of any alternative method for keeping in touch with him.
Shiva Indis
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Got your PM; I am at your service. Once I go find out what all I did, of course. It's been a long time.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, Shiva Indis! Must lurk more often than not, eh? Good to see you around again!

The idea of retranslation is pretty cool, and I can wait to see what you guys get in terms of different translations and all!

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Shiva Indis

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

And a full month later I finally make another post. I found my notes and I remembered why I sent them aside -- because I was frustrated with my limited ability to match up the Japanese and English dialogue. I DID come up with a plan for improving the situation, but when it takes me this long just to get this post up, it seems unlikely I'll be able implement it. But I do have some things to add for major scenes:

The Soul Blazer translation reads like it is the work of someone who speaks English as a second language. It frequently cuts out the little details and it's very eager to be inoffensive. Someone evidently decided that Soul Blazer's frequent discussion of reincarnation was potentially offensive to us English-speaking monotheists, so the English script takes every opportunity to hedge its bet on the subject. This takes the form of deflecting belief in reincarnation to some nebulous third party whenever the subject comes up.

----------

Take for example the woman whose husband is a goat. So even though you're sure this goat is your spouse, reincarnation is just too hard of a sell.
Quote:
I don't know if there's such a thing as reincarnation. Even though I can't communicate with my husband, I enjoy his company.

The Japanese version, on the other hand, asserts that reincarnation is real and these characters are the proof.
Quote:
There are stories that say that when people die they reincarnate, but that's actually true. We can't communicate, but I'm happy being near my husband.

----------

The shipwreck gives an example of the nebulous third party that believes in reincarnation.
Quote:
You can hear the conversation of a father and son. Daddy, how many days have passed since the ship sank? I am too hungry and cannot travel any farther.Are we going to die? Servas, my son, some people believe that human life does not end at death. ]They believe that they will be born into a new life. Lives, they feel, are everlasting.

Soul Blazer mentions these "some people" pretty frequently, yet they don't exist in Soul Blader.
Quote:
You hear the voices of a father and a son from across the barrels. Daddy, how many days have passed since the shipwreck? I'm so hungry I can't move anymore. Are we going to die? Listen, Sabas. A person's life doesn't end when they die. We are reincarnated as a different creatures and we live on eternally.

----------

Leo's death scene touches on the reincarnation thing, but it has plenty of other odd "science is bad, mm-kay?" things going on.
Quote:
But an unexpected scientist may ruin the culture. Some people believe happiness comes quickly, I think it comes with patience. Lisa, I am sorry for leaving you. I am not passing away,rather, I am going to sleep. When a scientist with my knowledge is needed, I will be back.

This is a baffling position for a scientist to take, mostly because it's lacking its original nuance. This idea that Leo will be reborn when the world needs him again is an idea we'll see echoed in Illusion of Gaia.
Quote:
But the appearance of a talent that does does not match its era instead causes culture to decline. People find no happiness through such impatience. We need only each seek happiness gradually. And Lisa... I have imposed terribly even on you, and you had nothing to do with any of this. But I am not dying now. I'd like you to think that that I am going to sleep for a short while. One day, when an inventor like me is needed, I will be born into this world again.

----------

Deathtoll's dialogue didn't seem very threatening. Part of that is due to the omission of the subject, (which is supposed to be Blazer,) but the reincarnation thing is involved too.
Quote:
The poor creature that repeats transmigration of the soul and cannot die. I will put you in a deep sleep.

...After which you will wake up refreshed and we can put all this behind us?? Anyway, the original intention here is something along the lines of a mercy kill, because Deathtoll thinks perpetual existence sucks.
Quote:
O pathetic human, who repeats the cycle of death and rebirth again and again and eternally cannot die: I shall grant you deep sleep.

Part 2: Return of the mysterious third party!
Quote:
Some people believe being constantly reincarnated means everlasting suffering. Being alive is suffering for some creatures. You will find out what I mean.

Maybe these "some people" should have been the actual final boss? Secret stage of shadowy reincarnation-believers!
Quote:
Eternal life is to bear up under eternal suffering. Living is in itself the greatest misfortune of living things. I shall make you understand what that means.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Soul Blazer All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: