TerraEarth Forums

Hello World... of Warcraft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:05 am   Post subject: Hello World... of Warcraft Reply with quote

Two puns in one for a title. I do my best. So I've been playing the Starter Edition of WoW and I wanted to talk a bit about my first impressions. To start with I have tried every race's starter quest up to at least Level 6 (and in some cases as high as Level 12) and every class, apart from the hero classes such as Death Knight.

So first if you want to see me and play yourself all of my characters except my Orc play on Moon Guard (my buddy Jacob plays there). My Orc is on... something I'll have to check but I don't play with him often.

I did a massive breakdown of my views of the starter areas for the races on my FB page and if such a thing interests you I posted the whole thing on my gaming live journal which can be read here. The general ranking of my favorites so far is this:

1. Pandaren
2. Goblin
3. Undead
4. Worgen
5. Troll
6. Night Elf
7. Tauren
8. Draenei
9. Gnome
10. Blood Elf
11. Dwarf
12. Human
13. Orc

I've also found that I much prefer the melee fighters than magic users in this game, but that comes with two gigantic asterisks.

* I primarily play a Melee DPS in FF14, my MMO of choice (DRG Main, SAM Secondary, Monk Tertiary)
* I am aware that WoW follows an old-school RPG design philosophy of Mages start out weak as piss and end up strong as fuck whereas Fighters are more balanced progression.

Of the jobs that I am enjoying the most, I'd say Paladin (particularly Retribution Paladin) is my favorite as it's a little bit of everything. Monk is my next favorite because it is a hard-hitting sumbitch and finally Warrior because of that god damned charge attack. Of the magic using classes, I think I like Mage the best, mainly because they can kill things dead. My Goblin Mage is a tough SOB. My least favorite job so far? Warlock. My Undead Warlock takes fucking ages to kill anything and it's so bad I'm considering deleting her and rerolling her as something with a bit of bite to it.

Lastly my character list:

The Horde
Kumakami - Pandaren Monk [The name is japanese for "bear god"]
Steelrend - Blood Elf Paladin
Kromlock - Orcish Warrior
Gripgroin - Goblin Mage
Verstael - Undead Warlock
Cursedhorn - Tauren Druid
Rastroll - Troll Shaman

The Alliance

Grogfist - Dwarven Rogue
Melendriel - Night Elf Priest
Buckshort - Gnomish Hunter
Aula - Worgen Warrior
Palefist - Draenei Monk
Ruceris - Human Paladin

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wrote an epic long text here and when I clicked on preview it just disappeared Crying or Very sad

maybe I'll find time tomorrow...
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
I just wrote an epic long text here and when I clicked on preview it just disappeared Crying or Very sad

maybe I'll find time tomorrow...

Actually the same happened to me four times on my zombie holocaust character sheet post.

Sounds like we got ourselves an,issue...

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

well, maybe we just forgot to copy texts before sending because we aren't used to good old forums anymore? Very Happy anyway, here I go again:

I started WoW in 2005 on its day of release. fun cliche fact: I had an unemployed friend grabbing one in the morning hours. played a undead (UD) mage up to 35, name was "Kumari" (kudos to anyone knowing the name) on Anu'b'arak (pvp server, didn't play anything else ever). then I stopped, didn't like it somehow. I guess I just wasn't used to that kind of game.

Picked the game up again some months later. Fresh start as a night elf priest, named "Rüdiger". Can't even remember the server. 2nd gen server, was really noobish I guess. I raided MC and a bit of ZG, nothing special. I didn't know about min-maxing, so I guess it was all doomed to fail at one point. when the 3rd gen german servers were announced, the guild died instantly Very Happy

third times the charm, sometime in 2006 on german pvp-server Vek'lor the legacy of "Eduard", UD female Warlock (WL) started.
some friends started with me, and this time I approached the whole game a bit more professional. addons, min-maxing, dps calculations, rotations, leveling guides and so on.
I managed to stay in the 2nd generation of lvl 60s, despite school. got a spot on hordes 2nd best guild, started raiding even before we managed to get 40 lvl 60s. was raid leader / guild officer / class officer in the end.
I stopped playing when burning crusade was announced, we started AQ40 at that time and I witnessed the LEGENDARY AQ-event. I remember every hour of this sunday, I have never witnessed anything like this before and after that in a online game / community. I was well-known, pretty rich, fully T2 equipped.

in 2007 I transfered Eduard to Azshara, 1st gen german server with some comrades from the army. we played in a small guild and started raiding together. we were all pretty much semi-pros in the game, and sooner or later we ended up in one of the bigger raiding guilds. We cleared the COMPLETE content until sunwell. the game wasn't that fun anymore I'd say. world pvp was gone, which was always the thing I liked the most. I didn't like the changes with the arena and it's "resilience" stat either.

I didn't play WotLK a lot, just casually some hours a week to convince myself how bad WoW had become. I did some achievement hunting just as an excuse to revisit the old content.
The army friends hooked me up some years after BC to play in Cataclysm again, did some raids and didn't like it. that's when I thought it's over. the game lost its magic, the casual player won in the end. a slow, painful death.

out of nowhere, I really don't remember how we got the idea, me, my little brother, my best man, a friend and his little brother decided to try out the upcoming private server from "the feenix project", a 1:1 blizzlike vanilla server called "Emerald dream".

and what a dream it was! we started as:

Eduard, UD, WL (me)
Edûard, UD, rogue (my little brother)
Eduârd, UD, priest (my best man)
Eduárd, orc, warrior (my friend)
Eduàrd, troll, hunter (his little brother).

it was unbelievable! we were at school or at university, and had a hell lot of free time. we were adults with time management, gaming experience and all the knowledge of WoW vanilla veterans.
5 hour BRD quest runs on friday evening. sunday afternoon hangover strath SM amu farms. 2 raiding days a week, 7 to 22 pm before university parties. smoking out of the window in my appartement, cooking diner after a wipe...
we stopped playing sometime during BWL, everyone feared the 5 eduards in battlegrounds and in world pvp. I can't think of any better way to end this legendary game like we did after a "2nd spring" so to speak.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my characters and I got a free upgrade to Warlords because it was such a shit xpac when they were trying to lure me back for Legion. I have characters everywhere, but Sargeras is where my main is, Keladriel. Nelf Hunter. I really only play WoW for the achievements because why not?

I have a Kung Fu Panda named Galepowder who is super adorable, Tinúviel who is a Druid (...and a Nelf. this is a recurring theme...), Inferiare is my Human Death Knight, Elide is a Undead Rogue, Cocona is my Human Warrior, Shelanoir is a Nelf Priest, and Höbbes is a Panda monk who was made when one of our ferrets died in honour of my pudgy, face-in-food-bowl-as-he-sleeps derp ferret.

I have on a couple of different servers Yalei, my Belf Pally, and I have a Goblin too. Can't remember what she is though.

I guess if Blizzard decides to give out more free weeks, I'll probably get my Seeker title for Kela. I'm not too far from it tbh.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw a video where a guy was comparing Heavensward to Warlords of Draenor and he was basically like "wow this is shit, that's why I went to FF14."

So you seem to favor the Alliance. Or is it just Night Elves, lol? I mean the Alliance is alright but for me the only Alliance starting area that really wowed me was the Worgen one (and the Draenei and Gnome ones are okay).

Since you do both FF14 and WoW, I'm curious to see what you would say each excels at and where each is weak. Any thoughts on this?

Back on my front:

I chopped my roster down to 8 (for now), four Horde, four Alliance.

Horde = Pandaren Monk (m) Blood Elf Paladin(m), Goblin Mage(m), Undead Warrior (m)

Alliance = Dwarf Paladin (m), Gnome Hunter (m), Worgen Warrior (f), Night Elf Priest (f)

I rerolled Grogfist the dwarf as a Paladin since I found Rogue to lack a certain, jeux ne se kill. I also rerolled my Undead to be both male and a Warrior since Warlock was... painful. I gave him a punny name since he has no jaw - Lichitung.

Lastly my friend showed me how to install mods using the Twitch service which used to be Curse. Got Total RP 3 on there and along with having full backstories and names now for my characters I'm also keeping in-game journals with them. All are horrible, hilarious and irreverent.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep up with WoW, I would recommend a few addons to make life easier... like Auctioneer.

I was mainly Allliance because that's what my friends played, but elves are my jam in ANYTHING and I like the Nelf aesthetic. Belf's are pretty (and my Yalei was real purty) but I like the "forever night" trope in things I guess.

I haven't really played WoW hardcore since... Pandaria released. Started in Cataclysm, ended in Pandas... yeah. It was short lived. A lot of what FF14 does now is similar to WoW in streamlining things as opposed to the short time I played 1.0 -- I started in Gridania with Alair, and if you killed anything in the twisting maze that was the Black Shroud, you got Greenwrath/woodsin which you had to cleanse, or else EVERYTHING WOULD KILL YOU. Which was reminiscent of Tonberry hate in 11 (which the original 14 producer was main producer on originally) and that was a pain in the ass to cleanse.

Seriously. Everyone's Rancor is dumb and no one in FFXI has 10k life. Apkallus were also terrifying should you piss them off.

...anyway. A lot of things that were present in WoW I would constantly go "man, I wish I could do (thing) in FF11!" that finally made its way into 14 in 2.0, which was nice! The biggest thing that I know people say is that WoW has the antiquated graphics now, and they barely edged out FF11 back in the day (it came out after, and even when I play with the better graphical upgrade for a newer system, FF11 still has nicer models for a 15 year old game.) One thing I do enjoy about WoW is some of the quests and how they work beyond being fetch quests or run here and watch this cutscene, though 14 has been getting better about that lately. Both games have their shitty fetch quests, but I think everyone got the worst fetch quest-itis with Moogles in 3.0... yeah...

WoW has a limited soundtrack, while we have awesome jams from Soken-- enough each patch that during the... JP FanFest? they got Guinness World Records for the most music in a video game because he creates so many new tracks for each xpac and patch. WoW has some good ambiance though, that much is certain. Lots of really gorgeous locales and ambient sounds.

I'm sure I can go on, but that's a good start, yeah?

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: