TerraEarth Forums

The six mystic statues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LG
Level 2: Whisp

Level 2: Whisp

Gems 28

PostLG Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:14 pm   Post subject: The six mystic statues Reply with quote

I have always loved Illusion of Gaia (Called Illusion of Time in my territory for some reason). The atmosphere, the great music, the strangeness, the dungeons, the characters, etc. etc. etc.

But one thing always bugged me: I have never quite understood what the six mystic statues are and why Will needs them. Will just seems to collect them, but doesn't really mention it.
I don't think the English translation really very often explicitly refers to their significance. I know they are being used on the tower of Babel, but I haven't learned what they are or what they do. Are they more than just a six-part MacGuffin?

I have learned they are roughly called Mystery Dolls in Japanese.

Are they somehow related to the comet technology?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks guys.
Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

From what little mention they get in the English version, yes, they do seem to be a part of the same ancient technology as the comet.

A device that comes in 6 parts which have to be assembled (flat-packed McGuffin, clearly it was made by IKEA xD) and allow the merging of the Kara's Light Knight and Will's Dark Knight to become one in Shadow.

But yeah, they should've got more mention through the game, so they don't just seem like random plot tokens when the big moment comes. Smile
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the main place the Mystic Statues are discussed is in the attract sequence that plays after the title screen, but the translation misses the nuance of it. There isn't all that much text there so there isn't room for detail, but it does talk about how these weird statues of a god are found at ruins all over the world. So the suggestion seems to be that they are comet-civilization technology.

From a game development perspective, check out these Mystery Doll monsters from Dragon Quest:

There's a resemblance, right? And the Mystic Statues are even called Mystery Dolls in Gaia Gensouki.

The Dragon Quest Mystery Dolls are based on real-life archaeological artifacts, too -- clay figurines called Dougu that are found in some of Japan's oldest sites. If you follow that wiki link, you can see the exact figurine that all these game assets were based on. Archaeologists have nothing but vague ideas about why ancient people made these figurines.

But the ancient alien conspiracy theorists are positive they know what they are. Conspiracy theorists like Erich von Daniken, that same guy who wrote Chariots of the Gods?, thinks its goggle-like eyes actually represent a space-suit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: