TerraEarth Forums

A Game Script for Terranigma - I made one!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
warpig
Level 2: Whisp

Gems 66

Postwarpig Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:00 pm   Post subject: A Game Script for Terranigma - I made one! Reply with quote

Greetings TerraEarth community,

I have started working on a script for Terranigma earlier this year and it is finished! You can download it... well, I'd post a link here, but it seems these forums had problems with spam bots in the past, so I can't yet!
In the meantime, you can refer to my thread on the Terranigma board on gamefaqs where I also posted it.

Such a script did not seem to exist yet, so I made one myself because I have wanted one for a long time. There were text dumps, true, but those are quite annoying to navigate if you actually want to find something specific. So my goal was to make the game's text readable and put everything in its proper context. For more on that, see the first pages of my script.

I did this by basically playing the game, taking screenshots of the lines in the game, and removing everything I saw from the text dump I used (included with the script above) to see what lines remain. Anything I could not get to show on screen after trying is collected in a separate section at the end.

(I planned to also package the screenshots I made with this script, but they are not sorted properly yet; I'll be doing that some time in the future, probably)

The final document turned out to be much longer than I anticipated (partly because of the comments and annotations I made; see the first pages for more info on that), so if you don't have time to read everything, you'd do me a favor with the following:
go to the "unused lines" section at the end, and if there is anything there which you think you've seen in the game (and not just read in a text dump or wherever Razz) for certain, please tell me! More specifically, I'd like to know how to make the line actually show up in the game.

Either way, I hope you guys enjoy this one. Cheers!
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

you make it sound so casual but this looks like it was A LOT of work Eek!

great job!

Gems 66

Postwarpig Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly was. I thought I'd end up with about 150 pages after commentary has been added, but when I simply pasted together the raw text without commentary, the document grew beyond 200 pages (roughly 50k words) already!
But playing the game to test all sorts of stuff to get all the possible dialogue was really fun, so that kept me going. I also learned a lot of stuff that was unknown to me (like the fact that you can't expand Loire to its final form if you didn't help Eddy with his second experiment; I never had that happen because I never tried to expand the towns independently, i.e. without touching any of the others).
If I didn't like Terranigma so much, I might have given up on this partway through Very Happy
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As I can't edit the original post with the link, alas, the script can be found here!

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: