TerraEarth Forums

Fonym System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> TerraEarth History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manibrandr System
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:05 pm   Post subject: Fonym System Reply with quote

So I have this sitting in my files, where I spent a lot of time working on the Finym system in the world of TE and I thought that it would be time to share this with you all.

Tones
The world of "TerraEarth" has 12 tones each corresponding to an element. The elements are Fire<C>, Lightning<G>, Wind<D>, Temporal<A>, Dark<E>, Lunar<B>, Ice<F#/Gb>, Poison<C#/Db>, Earth<G#/Ab>, Spatial/Material<D#/Eb>, Holy<A#/Bb> and Solar<F>. As one can tell, elements that are antagonistic to each other have a tritone relationship, and often cancel each other out.

Every resident of "TerraEarth" has a resonance towards 6-7 of the 12 Fonym tones available. These available tones follow a pattern that form resonant and dissonant relationships with each other, and for each, certain resonances are stronger than others. This relationship of the pattern of fonym resonances and their strengths are called Modes.

Modes
The elemental resonances available for each resident also point towards the styles of fonyms available to them, leading to the formation of Archetypes. The 8 most common modes are:

• Lydian[R-2-3-#4-5-6-7] - The most defensive style of fonym available. Fonym users with this pattern of resonance excel at chants that increase the defensive capabilities of the user, allowing them to completely wall off certain types of attacks, or even absorb incoming attacks as extra Gain[Health], Saturation[Mana] and Overdrive. (Used for non-fonym and Awakening Drive skills.)
  • Ionian[R-2-3-4-5-6-7] - This is the standard style of restorative fonym chants, focusing on Gain-Boosting(Healing) and Auto-Gain(Regen) chants. Users, called White Foni'ir, are also capable of learning basic attack fonyms. The most common root tones of users of this style of fonym are D[Wind], G[Lightning], C[Fire], F[Solar], Bb/A#[Holy], Eb/D#[Material] and Ab/G#[Earth].
  • Mixolydian[R-2-3-4-5-6-b7] - The more supportive style of fonym chants that focus on buffing allies and debuffing enemies, as well as basic Gain-Boosting chants. Users of this style of fonym are called Tacticians or Combat Architects, though users of this style of fonym chant can also use their talents for Summoning.
  • Dorian[R-2-b3-4-5-6-b7] - The jack of all trades, users of this style of fonym are called Red Foni'ir and are capable of learning any type of fonym, though their strongest chants usually end up a unique synthesis of various types of fonym rather than a very powerful chant of a single effect. Users of this style can also become Summoners.
  • Aeolian[R-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7] - Though not quite as explosive as Phrygian Foni'ir, they can still be quite formidable as their fonym can provide very useful offensive support like inbuing weapons with various fonym effects and chants that induce Gain, Saturation and Overdrive Decay or Drain effects. Summoners can also specialize in this style of fonym.
  • Phrygian[R-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7] - The typical offensive fonym user, they are called Phrygian or Black Foni'ir as their destructive power have historically been feared and respected. While users of this style of fonym tend to be physically frail, their appearances are not to be deceived as they can possess extremely destructive fonym chants that can level entire civilizations.
  • Locrian[R-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7] - The weirdest and style of fonym focuses on the protean aspect of chanting. Users of this style of fonym are called Blue Foni'ir, and they specialize taking the struggles they've faced, and firing it back onto their enemies with supernatural accuracy, and as such are among the most unpredictable of foni'ir. One must take great care when dealing with a Locrian fonym user, as they can instantly learn every chant or attack thrown at them, and then mirror it back to their foes in an instant. Plus, there is no telling what kind of Locrian fonym they have already learned.
  • Blues[R-b3-4-#4-5-b7] - This style of fonym is unique in that it contains elements of Dorian and Aeolian modes, allowing users of this style of fonym to use mainly offensive support chants, and some chants from any other style of modes, as well as synthesize them together. They are also unique in that they have an antipodean relationship between their root tone and the tritone, capable of maining fonyms of not only their root tone element, but also the opposite element of near equal proficiency. The downside of this is that they are only resonant with 6 tones as opposed to the usual 7.

Outlanders
Outlanders are people who came from other worlds, and thus have no inherent fonym resonances. However, over time, after learning of their archetype, they will come to slowly discover their resonances, first their root tone, then the 4th and 5th tone.[/list]

Notable Veterans and their fonym resonances

So to give a better picture of how the fonym works, here are examples of fonym users and their archetype/styles:

Eleara Diumaidh
Race: Fomorian
Class: Witchblade
Fonym Type: A Phrygian
Str: 10
Dex: 18
Con: 8
Int: 16
Wis: 10
Cha: 14
Description: She is fairly physically frail due to her race's attributes and her class choice, however her affinity for Temporal<A> fonym had given her great agility, bordering on supernatural. Her affinity for Black Fonym had given her access to, in order of resonance strength, Temporal<A>, Dark <E>, Wind <D>, Fire <C>, Lightning<G>, Holy <Bb> and Solar <F> fonym elements, and because of the antipodal relationship between Holy and Dark, she doesn't have any weakness or resists associated with either of the two elements.

Chicken Khaleesi
Race: Zerda
Class: Ranger
Fonym Type: F Blues
Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 10
Int: 18
Wis: 14
Cha: 12
Description: He has a very strong affinity towards Solar and Lunar fonym, with Fire, Holy, Earth and Spatial/Material fonym also available to him. Because of his unique fonym typing, he's capable of offensive support chants, letting imbue ally weapons with properties of the elements available to him, as well as utilize Red Fonym to provide defensive and restorative support chants. He's also capable of using his ranger skills to create fonym traps to mess with foes with, or to enhance his own accuracy for deadly shots.

Axe Kazama
Race: Human
Class: Brawler
Fonym Type: Ab Locrian
Str: 18
Dex: 12
Con: 16
Int: 7
Wis: 12
Cha: 8
Description: Because of his naturally low affinity for fonym chants, his abilities are mostly focused on the physical, using martial arts to hone his own strength and physique into a deadly weapon. Outside of him learning the secrets of Suieiken (Locrian fonym in the form of martial arts.) he's only capable of utilizing Earth(Root), Wind(b5) and Poison(4) fonym to any appreciable effect, and even then, they are achieved via physical means rather than fonym chants.

Jason Tandro
Race: Rysunian
Class: Tactician
Fonym Type: ? Mixolydian
Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 13
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 12
Description: Because he is classified as an outlander, he has yet to figure out his root tone fonym. On the other hand, his fonym type has started to emerge thanks to his class choice, and he has started to develop fonym-like skills based on his fonym archetype.

Last edited by Manibrandr System on Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Love the info, I'm sure I can do something with this for old lore that I write too... Plotting

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
Nice! Love the info, I'm sure I can do something with this for old lore that I write too... Plotting

To me, I feel like it makes a lot of sense to tie the magic/mana system to elements of music theory, that way there is an underlying explanation to the sets of skills and elements available to each character. It also helps with character creation and development.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It gives me big Ar tonelico vibes, and I'm fairly sure you thought of the system before the games came out. Maybe that's why I love that universe so much? WHO KNOWS, but that makes some of the things in the brainstormed thing I've had for ages make a lot more sense and I can definitely work with that.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even touched those games. The system I came up with was inspired by the element systems presented in the Mana games, (Solar and Lunar as expys of Dryad and Luna) Tales of Eternia, (Time and Space as elements) and Valkyrie Profile (The antagonistic relationship between Lightning and Poison.) and my attachment to music and music theory.

(Though, implied in all this, and what I have neglected to mention, is that Water is a physical element rather than a fonym element, and points more towards the physics of fluids in general, and Ice, a fonym element is a lot more to do with sheer cold, and Ice is just an easier way of conceptualizing it. I have actually conceptualized attachments to zodiac signs too, which i will get to later, but real quick, there's a reason why I associate Aquarius with Temporal fonym rather than Water)
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah no, I figured you hadn't, I just thought the connection was cool because I love those games Very Happy song = magic and what basically powers EVERYTHING in that universe.

Once you get into the zodiac stuff though... Eek! I will be WATCHING with interest.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is outdated, please refer to this thread for the updated treatise on fonym.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> TerraEarth History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: