TerraEarth Forums

Terranigma 2 - New Engine, Full English Beta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Fan Made Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKing2
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 434

PostTheKing2 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:37 pm   Post subject: Terranigma 2 - New Engine, Full English Beta Reply with quote

Hello,

its been a while. Not sure how many remember when I posted my game "Terranigma 2 - The Continuance" about a decade ago.

Well, a lot of time has passed, but I've kept working on it. I eventually ported it from Rpg-Maker to a custom engine, keeping in mind the desire to eventually translate the game to english.

Well, long story short, a pre-release beta for the first part of the game is here (its being release in 3 parts due to overall length), featuring a full english localization:

https://www.envile-media.com/filebase/index.php?file/4-terranigma-2-update-7-2-0/

Please keep in mind that the english localization so far has not been tested extensively, so I'm looking for feedback from testers, both for typos/errors as well as general quality. The game in this version features an ingame bugreporter, which can be used to easily submit text-based errors (as well as general issues).

A brief introduction to the game:

I've become a bit lazy over the years with introducing the game, so I'll keep it short. Its Terranigma 2. Probably the only Terranigma 2 that you'll realistically get. If you want to Its matured drastically over the years and is nigh-uncomparble to the RpgMakers 0.3.2 version I made available all those years back. It plays exactly like the original, with the same graphical style, with a ton of improvements. So, if you yearned for a continuation for Terranigma, this is for you.

The story continues where Terranigma ended. There is a whole new world to explore, adding some background to the events of Terranigma as well as creating a whole new lore. You'll get an explanation to Terranigmas (arguably) open ending, and get to see if Arks journey really ended after the defeat of Dark Gaia.

A list of new/improved features:

- New magic system (using runes and replenishing crystals as a resource)
- Completely new damage-calculcation, meaning less extrem effects of being over/underleveled
- Bulbs and gems are more limited, but you get upgrades for major achievements in the game to expand those limits
- A questlog, to keep track of the wastly increased number of both primary and sidequests
- A wide set of customizable options, like colouring of Arks cloths based on his armor; PAL vs NTSC-speed; differently sized variants of the terranigma-font ingame; an entirely new HUD; etc...

------------------------------------

So if you are interested, feel free to check it out and shoot me some feedback. The game is about 12-15 hours in length. Saves will continue to work in future versions of the game, including releases of Episodes 2 and 3 which will appear in the years to follow.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

wow dude, you're dedicated Very Happy I had a playthrough somewhere down my watchlist, but I guess this is the old version you're talking about? I already found that one quite impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAIS9-zi_qc&list=FLgXDc-rl3_hBqYbuMp7roAA&index=17

Gems 434

PostTheKing2 Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
wow dude, you're dedicated Very Happy I had a playthrough somewhere down my watchlist, but I guess this is the old version you're talking about? I already found that one quite impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAIS9-zi_qc&list=FLgXDc-rl3_hBqYbuMp7roAA&index=17

Thanks Smile Yes, that one is already very outdated. Its one of the last RpgMaker-Versions, not sure if its the last though. And comparatively, the latest version is even way more advanced, in pretty much every aspect. I wouldn't even have been able to do localization in the RpgMaker, for example Smile

If you want a more recent video, here is one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn0pumhuINQ&t=19247s
Albeit it is still not the most recent version.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this year I'll replace my yearly playthrough with your version then Very Happy just the fact that you replicated the gameplay is really impressive.

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKing2 wrote:
psychokind wrote:

Thanks Smile Yes, that one is already very outdated. Its one of the last RpgMaker-Versions, not sure if its the last though. And comparatively, the latest version is even way more advanced, in pretty much every aspect. I wouldn't even have been able to do localization in the RpgMaker, for example Smile

If you want a more recent video, here is one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn0pumhuINQ&t=19247s
Albeit it is still not the most recent version.

Oh wow, this is a nice showcase. What engine is this in?

Gems 434

PostTheKing2 Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
maybe this year I'll replace my yearly playthrough with your version then Very Happy just the fact that you replicated the gameplay is really impressive.

Thanks Smile I spent a lot of time investigating it in the emulator, and designed my custom-engine to be able to replicate all of the properties in a fitting fashion.

Manibrandr System wrote:
Oh wow, this is a nice showcase. What engine is this in?

Thanks! Its a custom made game-engine which I've been developing since 2012. Here is a video of how it looked way back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2iS6TWtXDQ

Now its more similar to a Unity/Unreal, while obviously only having the feature-set required for terranigma-style 2d.
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks impressive, got any updates to this?

Gems 434

PostTheKing2 Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is getting regular updates. Episode 2 is about 50% done, and should hopefully be completed before the next year ends. I'm currently doing engine-maintainence (the engine has an upkeep, as it's a standalone project the needs it's own features to be developed), but I do post regular updates on the project in eigther the forum or the discord (https://discord.gg/ysGnNQJ9zz), where the alpha to episode 2 can be found.
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Fan Made Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: