TerraEarth Forums

Something is strange...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coz
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,017

PostCoz Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been A LOT of talking about what made snes (and for some the genesis and nintendo too) as great, and why from the ps and onward it didn't felt the same, in game developer's forums. Honestly speaking, I never liked the ps.

So far, the points have been these:

-Games have becomed over complicated. They don't follow the 'keep it simple stupid' rule.

-It were our first games(that means that all the reasons were not just snes magic)

-Developers weren't focuses on selling; they were focused on developing good games. It isn't necesarily the developer's fault, it has to do with a lot of resposabilities stuff, deadlines, publishers wanting to change things, etc...

-Games were easier to make before. Now there is a whole world that you have to be in touch with to make something decent. So again, it's hard on the developers.

-Before we had lower standards.

-There are more n00bs developers than before. Now everybody wants to make their own MMORPG(this is a classic already) and the incredible thing is that they clone incredibly stupid and bad games. I confess I am guilty of this crime too, as eFlare knows XD(BTW im on vacations so I hope to do some work in these two weeks!)

-Development costs are higher, and it's harder to get the necesary tools. Meaning, the teams with non-nearly unlimited budgets will have to do work that will give worst results in more time.

-Game piracy hits harder these days. It's not true that game piracy really hurts big companies, they just don't get some money. However, extensive early piracy of the game of a medium sized company can hit it hard, meaning it will barely have winnings(since the game of a recognized team sells more), tought not kill it. However, extensive piracy since before the first 3 months of sales WILL kill a small team, unless the team doesn't cares about losing money. This contributes to teams not caring about making good games.

-There is more competition these days(more games). It's obligatory to know how to market your game. Not only that, you have to make your game purposely towards a market, that is fundamental. If you define good games by fun games(that actually I think that the definition is a little too small, because I think fun is not the only feeling that can make a game great), then people don't buy good games. They will buy a game that has flashy graphics and gives them a good first impression. Again, with the piracy thingie, this contributes to the teams not caring about making good games.
Axe Kazama
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck that's an eyeful
but so true Neutral
PaGaN3l3m3nts
Level 7: Raiden

Level 7: Raiden

Gems 1,022

PostPaGaN3l3m3nts Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that it seems like Gamecube holds onto that "something" games had back when better than other consoles. Also, since so many games are trying to look realistic, they don't look as different anymore... Though there was a period where every 16-bit RPG tried to look the same... Bah. At any rate... THE KING OF FIGHTERS! Every game was made for the same hardware, from the first game in '94, to the one in 2003... So, they still have that old school feel to them. Now that it's going to a new arcade board, I worry it might change the feel of the series...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: