TerraEarth Forums

New Zelda updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A comment from RPGFan's E3 blog:

"I can't believe how crazy this E3 is, when it hasn't even started yet. The Xbox looks cool, the games are pretty (except Perfect Dark; I thought 12 years in development, it may look better than a Dreamcast game), then came the PS3 and things like that FFVII demo, which floored me. Specs and tech demos mean nothing to me in the long run, since the PS2's rubber ducky demo didn't show me a game I'd actually want to play... but damn if that thing doesn't have a lot of power under the hood.

The Revolution is, I think, the prettiest of the bunch because I'm a sucker for blue LEDs, but I also have always preferred Nintendo's "fun over horsepower" stance. I figure the specs aren't comparable to the other two, which is why they didn't reveal them. It doesn't mean the games will be bad, but knowing the press and the public, if they saw lower specs, it would seriously hurt their image and cause a lot of negativity. I think they were smart in not showing that, which also further enforced they're about games, not just who can do more.

But none of that mattered once I watched the new Zelda trailer. I think, perhaps ironically, the last game I wanted this bad was Wind Waker. Unlike WW though, I'm not the last bit skeptical about this one. If Twilight Princess does NOT end up being the best game on the GameCube, I'll seriously be surprised, because it looks all kinds of incredible.

Now I really wish I had gone for the full show instead of just Friday. It's gonna be a long 2 days."

Edit: 'Nother comment from the blog.

"Oh yes, and did I mention Link? Yeah, he gets to be werewolf. The new Zelda title, Twilight Princess, is a very dark telling of a Zelda tale. It's obvious that Link explores his darker nature, as we see him bloodily ripping apart his foes as a werewolf, being ridden by a strange cat-like goblin creature, and generally being not so nice. But the game looks fantastic, and from what I saw, the gameplay was magnifique! Thankfully the press kits Nintendo gave us had a copy of the trailer, but unfortunately it is on DS format, so we may be SOL for showing it to the readers of RPGFan."

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

They speak sense. People are idiots, and if they saw lower specs for Nintendo, they'd probably discount them immediately (regardless of the fact that they all use different components).

Ocie Denver
Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news for world wide Zelda fans:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/617/617298p1.html

We could get or order Zelda TP on holiday (Nov - Dec) this year.

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I pre-ordered that today at EB. Cool Guy

Guaranteed my copy, I am. Hyper

And it's not being delayed! Hyper Hyper

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

New preview of the game from RPGFan.com:

Quote:
Darkness and almost ruthless violence have set the tone for the newest Zelda game throughout all the trailers seen so far. It's enough to give the impression that the game will give a completely different feel from previous titles in the series. However, while the storyline has a shadowy tinge, the gameplay itself remains consistent with Twilight Princess's 3D predecessors.

The story starts in the classically sunny way that any tragic tale begins; with our hero, Link, sporting a sexy farm get-up and matching occupation of goat herder. This year, he’s going in the mayor’s stead to the annual Hyrule summit. Things go awry beforehand, though, as a monster riding a boar kidnaps a village child, and Links follows after on his horse. Through the events that following, our hero gains the ability (curse?) to transform into a wolf upon entering the twilight realm that is consuming good old Hyrule castle. Although there were no wolf levels playable at E3, it is known that during these times Link will have heightened senses, the ability to communicate with animals, and a dependency to partner up with the strange creature Midna, who was seen riding on his back in the trailer.

At this year’s E3, Nintendo had a playable demo of the game featuring a few levels. After noting that the dialogue was, once again, completely textual with only an interjection spoken here and there, the player was treated to nostalgia by whistling the Epona song through a blade of grass. The horse of said name comes to your side, and you're set to the task of getting giant, bison-looking goats back into the barn by charging at them. If you're too aggressive with the task, the goats will respond in like-manner by turning red and charging at you. When you're done you get to jump fences, even though the mayor's daughter Illia specifically told you not to. Breaking the rules is all good practice for the horseback battles later on.

About mounted battles: they’re pretty straightforward, while being fast-paced and entertaining. You have a set amount of boosts that gradually return over time as in the N64 games, but unlike its predecessors, Twilight Princess doesn't honey-glaze the action of kicking poor Epona by using carrot icons. This time, you're digging your spurs into your faithful friend. Also, if for some reason you'd like to dismount and get walloped on, it's completely doable. Just hop right off and you'll be flung about like a sack of deku nuts by the nearby giant boar riders.

To conclude the run, there was the boss level of the Forest Temple. Standard rolling and sword-swinging is available, as well as the exciting new ability to crouch down, which you don't need for this fight. What you do need is the gale boomerang, which presumably was acquired in the actual Forest Temple. This new spin on the old Zelda weapon requires you to charge it up first if you'd like to use its special whirlwind feature, which was necessary in this particular battle. For those who didn’t know this, after running around like a ninny for about 2 minutes, a message pops up to tell you to push the z button for help. It was less intrusive, sound-wise, than previous games' hint options, but it was right in the middle of the screen, which may annoy people. Whether or not it was just that way for the demo remains to be seen. By the by, targeting works like it did in Wind Waker: you can do it without the use of an annoying fairy, and you can toggle between objects. In this particular case, the objects were a giant plant monster and a bomb-carrying baboon who initially greets you with a tasteful shaking of his round red monkey rump.

Despite the humorous image that may pop into your head when you think of a monkey taunting you, the graphics of Twilight Princess portray the game’s more adult atmosphere. Gone are the cel-shaded stylings of The Wind Waker and cartoony designs of the likes of Minish Cap and Four Swords. In a way, this entry harkens back to Ocarina, but the feel of TP is definitively more mature than that title, as well.

All in all, the darkness of Twilight Princess is supported with the classical construction of great Zelda game play, and should be an all-around crowd pleaser for hungry fans. We'll have to go without dinner until the projected release of this winter of '05, though. So go snack on some screen shots until then.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't really tell me much that I didn't already know (since I've probably read every article there is about the game Very Happy ), but I'm always glad to see more stuff.

It'll be a long 5 months, but I'll make it. Just gotta wait. Hyper

Axe Kazama
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

think of sexy thoughts Drool
in Freedan's case, think of Deathpit Ill
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Axe Kazama wrote:
think of sexy thoughts Drool
in Freedan's case, think of Deathpit Ill

No, that's not it. If I'm thinking of sexy thoughts, it'd be of Rain...

... um, I mean.... never mind. Shifty

Muerte

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, Rain, that stuff that falls from the skies? ... you think some weird things
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... that's what I meant. Sexy rain. Cool Guy

.... Shifty

Axe Kazama

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty

(where's this sexy Rain?)

Shifty
Very Happy
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... some of my friends call me Rain....

Eek!

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Axe Kazama

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty

(she's pretty sexy then...)

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

EDIT: DAMN SEXAY!!!

Shifty
Ocie Denver
Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

*ordering Wanzers chasing away the spammers*

Enough with silly posts. I got news come up.

Nintendo article - Mystery lady's identity revealed.

Yes, LotP's light/dark sides is back. Very Happy

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ, that just made me want this game so much more.

Light and dark worlds? Hyper

You can turn in to a wolf at will by travelling between the two sides? Hyper

Combat as a wolf should be interesting.... I can see myself having quite a bit of fun with this. Cool Guy

Edit: I'll post some other information I've read about the game here.... I won't post the entire article for a couple of reasons:

1), It's incredibly long and a little old.
2), I only read it on another message board, and it's not cited properly, so I can't verify if it's legit. So don't go killing me if this stuff ain't true. ^^;

The new info I've seen is:

- Your horse has no name at first. You name it yourself. That's kind of neat. Cool Guy
- As usual, it's a new incarnation of Link. The game supposedly takes place a few decades after Ocarina of Time, which would put it between OoT and Wind Waker chronologically.
- Apparently, you'll travel back and forth to the Twilight realm via portals. It shouldn't take long to find the first one, nor will it take long for Link to wolf-ify.
- Communicating with animals as a wolf will be a major theme of the game.
- The dungeons will be themed again, which has become a regular for Zelda (fire dungeon, plant dungeon, etc.).
- This one is interesting.... it seems the inventory screen will be circular instead of square. The reasoning was that players could count the number of items they were missing (since they all had their little box-like section) before, which served as a kind of semi-spoiler and told them how much further they had to go. This way, the number of items in the game is a mystery.

^ Thar she blows.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: