TerraEarth Forums

Video game news; reports, rumours, opinions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:15 pm   Post subject: Video game news; reports, rumours, opinions Reply with quote

I thought I would start a general thread on all the latest and greatest news, speculation and such out there. Anything from 'console wars' to specific games, rumours and personal opinions; it's all welcome here.

Being the diehard Nintendo faithful that I am, I thought I would start with a story on their continuing success: Over 20 million Wiis sold worldwide.

In just over a year since it launched, the Wii has sold over 20M units. To put that in to perspective, the Gamecube (by Nintendo's own numbers) sold just under 22M over its lifetime.

And Nintendo hasn't even released all of their trump cards yet; MarioKart will surely move some systems, a Wii-specific Zelda is all but guaranteed to be in the works, and Smash Bros. Brawl is due out in about a month and a half.

To top it off, the DS went on to sell just under 25 million more in only 9 months. A lifetime total of around 65 million units by the end of 2007.

Considering that during the GC's lifetime, people were predicting the 'death' of Nintendo, I'd say they've gone on to do pretty well for themselves. Cool Guy

chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, 20M systems Oo

i never loved those platforms very much, the latest one i had myself was the N64 ... i think i couldnt even afford games for the pc AND for any other system (yes, i buy games... legally... i dont even have an internet connection Shifty)

anyway, when i hang out at a friends house who has the GCN and the WII, i beat the crap out of him at SSB:M Very Happy

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, everyone loves Wii. Men are gay for it, women are just dying for more of the Wii experience. My girlfriend sprung for one as soon as launch day came. It is what I would call a runaway success, and that makes me really happy in my pants. Very Happy

In other news Uwe Bollocks blames videogames for his shitty videogame adaptations. Here is a highlight :

"A lot of video games have no story. I did the movie House of the Dead and got bashed and I said, what were you expecting, Schindler's List? I showed zombies chasing people and this is basically what the movie delivers. I don't know what they were expecting if you make a movie based on an ego shooter where you kill ninety minutes of people non-stop."

Oh man, what a conceited prick.
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

pf, DOOM was a kikas movie too... well maybe SUPER MARIO BROS wasnt planned to be such a shitty movie but anyway, i always liked it Very Happy

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

"A lot of video games have no story."

That's why you don't make those ones in to movies. Ass.

House of the Dead was an on-rails arcade shooter. The story involved supernatural mutant creations. And Boll thought that would translate well to a movie.

No one forced him to make those travesties. He just has really shitty taste in source material.

Here's why video games don't make good movies:

"A lot of video games have no story."

As he's proven time and time again, those aren't the ones to choose when you're making an adaptation.

The games that DO have great stories don't translate well either, because those stories unfold over the course of many, many hours. When you put it on the big screen, you obviously have to cut out most of the material. So you're left with an incomplete picture; you can't show most of what happens, or how any of it goes off.

There's word of a Prince of Persia movie in the works, based off The Sands of Time. Thankfully, Boll isn't involved. But as much as I want it to be great, chances are it won't be; a lot is going to be lost in the translation. Which is a shame, because I loved the story of the trilogy.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest game in the reconning FF7 series is soon to be released for NA release on the PSP (Crisis Core). March 25 (four days before my birthday) is when it's due out. A week before that, Wild Arms XF (Crossfire) is due out.

...I'm looking forward to the Wild Arms release. Very Happy While I don't mind the Crisis Core game, I'm slightly annoyed with Squeenix right now, and all of their retconning for the FF7 games. Things in Dirge of Cerberus (while I loved the game, since I got to stare at Vincent's ass the entire time, and I got to see more of his backstory) changed his original backstory around, and I didn't like that much. Crisis Core, while it looks really awesome, I really hope it doesn't change that much from the original story of what happened.

...of course, I don't see WHY they needed Crisis Core, when Last Order was released. -_- But, whatever. Now all they need to do is remake the original game with new content and make their drooling fanboys happy.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

They should change around the gameplay of FF7 if they are to make a remake, because, just a graphics titjob wouldn't do much justice to the game.
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of movie adaptations, have you guys heard of the Castlevania movie that's in the works? (don't worry, Boll isn't involved) I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Oh, and for those who are awaiting the new Smash Bros, three characters were accidentally revealed: Returning characters Ness and Jigglypuff, and Newcomer Lucario. For those unaware, Lucario is a Pokemon of the Fighting/Steel variety, and a total baddass. Think Mewtwo, only physical.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard about a Castlevania movie; another one I want to be good.

But after so many poor game to movie translations, I refuse to get my hopes up until I start seeing actual material.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
They should change around the gameplay of FF7 if they are to make a remake, because, just a graphics titjob wouldn't do much justice to the game.

Depends on what you'd be changing. A graphics upgrade would be badass, as would extra stuff that they didn't include in the original (o hai thar FF4!).

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

An uncensored version of the Don Corneo scene would be great. Laughing
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
An uncensored version of the Don Corneo scene would be great. Laughing

If you don't do what we say... I'LL SMASH IT INTO BITS.

Best. Part. Ever.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Muerte
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs moar Golden Saucer minigames. Very Happy

Editage: Personally I would love remakes of all 7,8, and 9. I would be all liek "Ogm!". Since I never finished 8 or 9 I would probably prefer those at this time, but 7 for nostalgia would be great too. If they did all 3 I may very well decide to become a drooling fanboy for a little while. Drool
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be funny if they made a 2-D remake of FF9 in the style of FF6 SNES. Very Happy
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Muerte wrote:
Needs moar Golden Saucer minigames. Very Happy

Editage: Personally I would love remakes of all 7,8, and 9. I would be all liek "Ogm!". Since I never finished 8 or 9 I would probably prefer those at this time, but 7 for nostalgia would be great too. If they did all 3 I may very well decide to become a drooling fanboy for a little while. Drool

You never know. 1-4 have had a remake in some form (or four). FF3 and FF4 got revamps on graphics, so FF6 I hope is next. That would be badass.

Though Nomura said there wouldn't be a remake of FF7, you never know. I hope they remake 8, since it's my favourite, and I really adore FF9. Very Happy That would be so awesome.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: