TerraEarth Forums

Speed Runs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefencemaster
Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:58 pm   Post subject: Speed Runs Reply with quote

Just last night, i decided to see just how fast i could go through A Link to the Past. Overall the run went fairly well except i forgot that its a little faster (for me at least) to do the swamp dungeon before the ice dungeon. The final results were very nice though. I had obtained all items, died 0 times, was three hearts under the max, and it took me only 4 hours.

So i was just wondering if anyone else here has attempted any speed runs, and if so, what game was it for, and how well did it end up going for you?

-The Fence Master
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i have almost mastered the ssbm adventure run with pummelluff Smile

if you need inspiration:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/gamelist/FullList.html
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

people do ssbm adventure speedruns? what difficulty? i recall blitzing through it in 15 minutes or so with roy, only to get owned by gigabowser.

and i havent tried speedrunning zelda, but since i dont know the game inside out, i dont think id be much good at it.

i do tend to enjoy speedrunning super mario bros (my time would be a bit over 6 minutes, if i save state, about 10-15 if not 'cause levels 8-2 and 8-3 suck)

i also used to try to speedrun super metroid, getting about 1:20 for a good run.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

ssbm adventure speedrun, difficulty: very easy, using pummelluff, don't remember how long it takes. the fight against giga-DK takes ~0.5 to 1.5 seconds Very Happy
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the world record speed run for A Link to the Past is 1:52, but that's without getting everything, so your time was really good. I've never tried a speed run, but I've always wanted to do one for Illusion of Gaia or Link's Awakening (my two favorite games).

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

it's even faster, 1:39. look at the author's comments, they are talking about seconds of time they lost in the run...

http://speeddemosarchive.com/lttp.html
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
ssbm adventure speedrun, difficulty: very easy, using pummelluff, don't remember how long it takes. the fight against giga-DK takes ~0.5 to 1.5 seconds Very Happy

im so trying that tomorrow. the hyrule stage seems like itll be a tad problematic though, i havent quite figured out how to find the triforce without meaningless battles.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:

im so trying that tomorrow. the hyrule stage seems like itll be a tad problematic though, i havent quite figured out how to find the triforce without meaningless battles.

i think this just depends on your luck. but even if you need to find all 5 of them it's just 3 or 4 more minutes
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of interest, what is your time? so i know what to aim for ^^
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

my time right now was 10:53

i'd say that could have been a 9 minute run if i had more practice and didn't have to defeat all of the links Very Happy
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna give that Adventure speedrun a try this weekend. I'll post my best time afterwords. I've been playing nothing but Brawl forever, it'll be nice to play some Melee again. (although playing w/o the C-Stick will be tricky)

Oh, and as for the Links, you don't have to fight any of them. If you slowly approach their rooms, you can see the Master Sword before you enter. If you see it, run to another room. That's how I finish that level quickly.

EDIT: Tried it on Very Easy with Pikachu. Beat Bowser at 11:44. *sigh* If only I could C-Stick...

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:

Oh, and as for the Links, you don't have to fight any of them. If you slowly approach their rooms, you can see the Master Sword before you enter. If you see it, run to another room. That's how I finish that level quickly.

it takes about ~1-4 seconds to defeat link, the time consumer is the way to the rooms Very Happy

just defeated big DK in less than one second Smile
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i used jigglypuff to do one run... got a time of 12:53. took a very long time beating some of the bosses. and ended up fighting fat kirby. added like 10 seconds there. didnt fight any of the links, but explored the whole maze trying to find the triforce

oh and DK took me 2 seconds, and metal mario bros were even quicker.

tempted to try it again using a different character (my fav on ssbm is zelda but shes a bit slow)

and for the links, you dont have to fight them at all if you dont land in their room. so glide through it ^^

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be attempting a run through Oracle of Seasons, but it probably isn't going to go to well, and I probably wont be able to do it all in one sitting. It should be interesting for me to try. I will update with progress of this

-The Fence Master
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note; seeing as how we've moved to different games instead of just Zelda games, I'm moving this topic. Very Happy Nothing to see here, folks.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: